Caught in an Attack

I just read one of John Farnam's Quips. He stated if you are caught in a large scale shooting, most times, no one will be coming to your aid "fastly". He pointed out the London Bridge terrorist attack, and also the Aldean massacre in Las Vegas. Most victums had to extricate themselves.

He's right, you know!

He advises carrying a survival bag, however you will not be able to take it into a concert or large gathering place, now. Can't take large bags into the NFL stadium in Nashville or the concert hall there.

Me, I stay out of all of them. Try not to go to large gatherings except for church services. I try to be on high alert in large gatherings(church). My motto, "Get You and Yours Out, If You Can."

I refuse to let violent murderers change how I act and where I go. I also refuse to drag a bunch of stuff around with me in case something happens. If that causes my death; so be it. Granted, the world is a dangerous place; but if you are always fearful you will miss a lot of living.

But that’s just me, everyone has to do what they are ready to take responsibility for. Because you are the only one responsible for your safety.

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 5
  • Moderators

I mostly agree with Dave, I think it is reasonable to do a certain amount of things (such as perhaps carrying a handgun, knife, and flashlight), but I'm not about to forgo everything "with a crowd" on the off chance that it may be targeted by evil.

Because I very well could spend everyday for 10 years sitting around, thinking that I was beating the odds by not going to large gatherings, and then die of a heart attack.

Or I could be involved in an accident on my way home from work today. 

Edited by GlockSpock
  • Like 1
25 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

I mostly agree with Dave, I think it is reasonable to do a certain amount of things (such as perhaps carrying a handgun, knife, and flashlight), but I'm not about to forgo everything "with a crowd" on the off chance that it may be targeted by evil.

Because I very well could spend everyday for 10 years sitting around, thinking that I was beating the odds by not going to large gatherings, and then die of a heart attack.

Or I could be involved in an accident on my way home from work today. 

I think crowds are inherently evil. That's why I try to stay away from them. :panic:

• Like 1

I feel the key is to have a mindset and be prepared IF things happen, but not live in fear of them. There are things I can't stop. Like @GlockSpock said any of us could get hit by a car on the way home. You are gonna needs lots of therapy and meds if you concentrate on what all COULD happen. Heck, I could walk out of the mall after shopping and be picked off by a sniper from 200yds away (if I shopped at the mall). I would have no reasonable way on a daily basis to counter that. Am I going to wear full bullet proof gear every day? No, but I am gonna have situational awareness and avoid unnecessarily dangerous places. Maybe then in the mall sniper scenerio I realize a shooter is targeting people in the parking lot and duck into an interior store instead of walking into his sights blindly. 

And yes I do believe the larger the crowd, the lower the IQ, but I also enjoy things like concerts. So I still wander into the herd once in a while. 

If I can't avoid a close range fight, i believe I can end it quickly.

Active shooter / terrorist attack with rifles, hopefully I work my way  to my stuff, whether in my car or hotel room.

Where is cover, concealment, exits and if the herd is stampeding, what does that look like?

It's not paranoid, simply paying attention.

Like others have posted, I'm not going to hump a under the radar backpack with rifle caliber pistol stowed, based on fear.

I'll be as prepared as I can be.

If I'm armed to the teeth, like at my car when it goes down, should I run towards the gunfire?

In a good position to return fire? What's in front, behind? How quickly is the sight picture changing during the chaos of the stampede?

If you run toward the gunfire armed to the teeth you need to be in uniform or possibility of friendly fire coming your way. Every situation is unique and you have to be there to develop a plan. The first rule as a civilian is to extract yourself from immediate danger and decide your next course of action.

• Like 1

The original poster wanted to make it clear one will be his own first responder should you be caught in a mass type situation. Don't plan on being rescued any time soon. At least that is why he suggested having life saving supplies with you if you go into crowds. IE, a small first aid kit etc.  

Idiots and A-holes won't change me, just validate my MO. I never liked crowds anyhow. Have been square in the middle of a full blown every man for himself, beer kegs flying riot. Have a scar and nerve damage to remember it by. Handgun, 2 spare mags, pocket knife, P38 opener and fire starter on a key chain, and two tampons, one in each back pocket.

Rely on no one but those in your inner most circle, and choose them carefully. LEOs and medics are almost never there fast enough, and these days it seems even if they are there, it's no guarantee they will do anything in a timely fashion, if at all (Parkland)

Edited by I40Bandit