ATF loses more guns

According to the report, a contract security guard at the facility has been stealing federal property since 2016. 

And there in a nutshell is the problem. Why is security for a law enforcement agency being contracted out to a private company? That is ridiculous.

And I thought firearms entered the system illegally through straw purchases, property theft, and us gun owners exploiting loop holes and selling to anyone with dollars in their hands.

Thank goodness we have the ATF to keep certain dangerous firearms and accessories out of the hands of law abiding, tax paying citizens.

I'm sure this is just a one off, because they do not have the resources to find all the other one offs.

Yea and add to this probably multiple issues like the one near me. About 10 days ago a neighbor of mine found another neighbor lying in his kitchen floor, emt arrived, had to get deputy to break window in front door for entry, this started around 6 and at 9:30 left with the body. I contacted the emt whom I thought was the medical examiner and explained that deceased neighbor had guns and door wasn't secured, he gave me the deputies name and number as he was the investigator. I called and told the same to the deputy and he didn't seem too concerned. I am tempted to call the Attorney generals office and make this known to them. As I told deputy I just don't want these guns of at least 5 or 6 that I know of falling into the wrong hands. What are your comments on this matter?? Btw this neighbor lived alone. Next of kin lives in N.C. and to my knowledge has not arrived at this house yet.

Sorry not meant to steal thread.

Edited by Dirtshooter
addition
20 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

Yea and add to this probably multiple issues like the one near me. About 10 days ago a neighbor of mine found another neighbor lying in his kitchen floor, emt arrived, had to get deputy to break window in front door for entry, this started around 6 and at 9:30 left with the body. I contacted the emt whom I thought was the medical examiner and explained that deceased neighbor had guns and door wasn't secured, he gave me the deputies name and number as he was the investigator. I called and told the same to the deputy and he didn't seem too concerned. I am tempted to call the Attorney generals office and make this known to them. As I told deputy I just don't want these guns of at least 5 or 6 that I know of falling into the wrong hands. What are your comments on this matter?? Btw this neighbor lived alone. Next of kin lives in N.C. and to my knowledge has not arrived at this house yet.

Sorry not meant to steal thread.

Maybe call the Sheriff that deputy reports to and make your concerns known.  I’ve always wondered how LE agencies handle such situations.  I’m sure in the more rural counties of our great state those guns have already been “taken care of”.

I am totally against citizens having their guns seized under most situations, but I would think the smart thing to do would be tag the guns and put them in lockup at jail and when the deceased man's next of kin that wasn't a felon could collect them. Btw this is the least populated county in Tn. 

11 hours ago, Dirtshooter said:

What are your comments on this matter??

They should make sure the house is secured. Fix the window or whatever was damaged to make entry. Leave all the property for the family to deal with when they get there.

It was my understanding they did a thorough search of the house, they must have been on seen for 3-4 hours. 1 pistol was out probably on end table by his chair where it usually resided. It just seems odd that they were not concerned that their were guns in a unsecured house and no body to watch it. We live in a fairly rural area .

9 hours ago, Dirtshooter said:

It was my understanding they did a thorough search of the house, they must have been on seen for 3-4 hours. 1 pistol was out probably on end table by his chair where it usually resided. It just seems odd that they were not concerned that their were guns in a unsecured house and no body to watch it. We live in a fairly rural area .

I can understand them being there that long to investigate and remove the body. But why do you think they were searching the house? No need for the Police to search the house, unless there is a reason.

As a former cop that has been in these situations, I see no need or requirement for the Police to remove anything from the house. I doubt they were concerned about guns being in the house; I would not have been any more concerned about a gun than a diamond necklace. Secure it and leave it for the family. Firearm’s present no special problems or requirements on their own. (Other than legal transfer)

Taking those guns would make the local PD (or whoever took them) responsible for the legal transfer of those guns to out of state relatives. I personally, would rather have the family deal with that and not the Police.

Well from the start my only concern was the druggies and thieves being able to access 5 or more guns without even breaking into the home. I may call the sheriff this morning and have a chat with him. If the guns get into the wrong hands I will certainly call the Attorney General in Nashville and tell them I had expressed concern for them leaving guns unattended, 1 which was in plain sight when you open the front door. Thanks for all the comments guys.

5 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

Well from the start my only concern was the druggies and thieves being able to access 5 or more guns without even breaking into the home. 

Well sure, if they left the house unsecured. I assumed they secured the house. Yes, you should call whoever forced entry into the house and ask them to secure it.

Of course if its been 10 days and the family hasn’t been there; there probably is no real concern by them about the house or what’s in it.

On 6/22/2019 at 9:25 AM, DaveTN said:

And there in a nutshell is the problem. Why is security for a law enforcement agency being contracted out to a private company? That is ridiculous.

Federal agencies are somewhat dependent on contractors for work like that.  Has the benefits of being cheaper than a federal employee, and keeping the numbers of federal employees artificially low since numbers of contract employees aren't really tracked.  The downside is you're getting what you pay for with the cheap accountability circumventing method.

• Like 1