Another score on GB! my new old Westley Richards

I don't know what it is exactly with rabbit ear doubles..... they just speak to me in some mystical way. I have a Doumolin 16g and now this new acquisition from GB for the rather decent price of $221 shipped. Its a 10g tank that I promptly cut down to 18.5 inches.  The bores are about 75-80% . The old Damascus cannon has just the tiniest lock up movement over its strong dual under lugs. I intend to line the bores as a 12g and 30-30.  Theres plenty of meat in the barrels to bore out for a 12g lining and I'v got some SS 308 blanks that I'll turn to light weight and bushing it in with aluminum. Top it off with a quick change lateral sliding rear sight for either barrel.  The sad part is it falls in line with some other projects ........ still waiting for that illusive "time" thing to come around! My addiction exposed.........

I78mtsFl.jpg

ZsS5GGAl.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
4 hours ago, gregintenn said:

You think that action is strong enough for 30-30 pressures? If so, it should make for a neat project.

Well, my choices would be the 45-70 but the 3, 45-70 barrels I have are really nice octagon take offs. Now the other side of the pressure story that's seldom added to the equation, is recoil forces upon the breach. If this was a different lock up design of less than best quality soldering in the chamber end I would not go the hotter 30-30. The 30-30 recoil forces upon the breach face is not the problem. The only issues I can see is more than likely a bushed FP hole for a smaller FP tip and monitor head space, but again, the extra large surface area of the hinge pin and hardened lock plate are all built for moving 1 & 1/4 oz shot along at a fair pace ahead of the BP explosion. Most of todays factory 30-30 loads are not quite optimal pressures. Just as the factory 45-70 is a whisper of what the hand loader can do. So, At worst, IMO, some head space may become evident with steady use since the breach lug is not a heat treat hardened surface. I would wring it out with a couple boxes, measure for head space and if no change, put it away for maybe an around the house blaster.

• Like 1

The bores had some pretty rough spots so shooting it was not a possible solution. Fluid steel in that shape would be maybe OK with a real good spin polish & hi speed hone but not with the laminated bore. I'm not one to cut good barrels either but the condition AND the 14 inches that I cut off took nearly 2 full pound off the 32 inchers. This thing "was" the definition of unwieldy! Now, not so much. The now 8.5 lb weight is actually nicely balanced now.  I love the over sized receiver. The picture is a 16 gauge build on basically a 12 g size receiver.  The big 10 comes alive in the side by side shot. A 30-30 round is all of puny inside the 10g chamber.  I'm not too worried about a 30-30 hand fit to this garunga!

IuqIMQUl.jpg

SAuVv4Cl.jpg

• Like 3