Real I.D.

My understanding is it sets federal standards for identification, primarily driver’s licenses, but it might apply to other forms as well, I don’t know.  That I don’t have much of a problem with however, it is one step closer to a “national ID” that I do have issues with.

I do know that one is not going to get on a plane without one and who knows what else.

Edited by Garufa

Well shoot. I just renewed my DL back in April. Its extremely rare for me to fly. Then again, if I was to decide to take a trip somewhere, I guess I'd have to get a new DL as part of the planning process. I don't have a passport either. I rarely go anywhere I can't drive to. I guess I'll deal with it when I have to.  :shake:

And all this because the feds have messed things up so bad that we now have to prove we're U.S. citizens. "Papers Please". :mad:

• Like 5
28 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Well shoot. I just renewed my DL back in April. Its extremely rare for me to fly. Then again, if I was to decide to take a trip somewhere, I guess I'd have to get a new DL as part of the planning process. I don't have a passport either. I rarely go anywhere I can't drive to. I guess I'll deal with it when I have to.  :shake:

And all this because the feds have messed things up so bad that we now have to prove we're U.S. citizens. "Papers Please". :mad:

Guess I'm with you Grayfox. Mine expires in '25. Though the chances of my flying are lower than yours at this point, as I think of my age and the ages of some of my family; I might just go ahead and do it. Just in case.

Mine has 3 gold stars in a swoosh on the back, and I recently flew on it, and will again tomorrow.  They have been issuing these for some time now, not sure why it says  Jul 1st since TN has been compliant for at least a year or two and did not need/request an extension/waiver when it became mandatory back in Jan 2018.

3 hours ago, Omega said:

Mine has 3 gold stars in a swoosh on the back, and I recently flew on it, and will again tomorrow.  They have been issuing these for some time now, not sure why it says  Jul 1st since TN has been compliant for at least a year or two and did not need/request an extension/waiver when it became mandatory back in Jan 2018.

Sorry, that's not correct.  Current TN driver's licenses are not REAL ID compliant.  You'll be able to get one beginning July 1.  An ID that's REAL ID compliant will have gold start in a circle on the face of the ID.  

https://www.tn.gov/tnrealid/what-is-real-id.html

Hope this helps,

Whisper

• Like 1

Just wondering, if this is an attempt at a National ID, I already have a Retired Army ID card, which does not expire until I do, Plus, a VA ID card, that is national, as well. Would I need the TDL update to fly ( which I have no intention of doing ).?

6 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

Just wondering, if this is an attempt at a National ID, I already have a Retired Army ID card, which does not expire until I do, Plus, a VA ID card, that is national, as well. Would I need the TDL update to fly ( which I have no intention of doing ).?

Your mil id would do just fine, not sure about the VA id.  

When I got my license a few years ago, I had to show my naturalization certificate, and my passport.  That, as I was told, was to be compliant with the REAL Id act.  I'll try again tomorrow when I fly out,  see if they accept it or not.

• Like 1

Starts being issued in Tn on Monday. Has to be at a full service DMV/County Clerk office.

Come Oct. 1, passport alone will still get you on a plane but not into federal facilities (except federal courts), nuke plants, military installations, whatever.

Requirements:

https://www.tn.gov/tnrealid/requirements.html

(click on the PDF link for the exact details).

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
10 hours ago, Omega said:

Your mil id would do just fine, not sure about the VA id.  

When I got my license a few years ago, I had to show my naturalization certificate, and my passport.  That, as I was told, was to be compliant with the REAL Id act.  I'll try again tomorrow when I fly out,  see if they accept it or not.

You would think the Mil/VA ID would work.........., but just beause it makes sense, doesn't mean it will fly (pun ). Haven't been on a commercial aircraft since '68, don't plan to.

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Oh joy...another trip to the dmv. 😣

Considering that I had to provide all this information less than a year ago to renew my CDL, you’d think they could’ve put that bloody gold star on it then. 

But noooooooo!

At least my DMV is in Dyersburg and I’ll be in and out in minutes. Hate for y’all in the big metros. 

1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

Considering that I had to provide all this information less than a year ago to renew my CDL, you’d think they could’ve put that bloody gold star on it then. 

But noooooooo!

At least my DMV is in Dyersburg and I’ll be in and out in minutes. Hate for y’all in the big metros. 

Yeah. I renewed mine last summer too.

This is how government run healthcare will work.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

But noooooooo!

You can go to any full service DMV in the state, btw.

I go over to the one in Maryville for example, much shorter wait time well worth the drive over from Knox.

- OS

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

They held off on implementing the "gold star" so they could reap more revenue by doubling up on renewal fees.    I renewed my license earlier this year so I'm one of the group getting screwed as well.   

• Like 2