Memphis Interstate Shootings

You Memphis haters should enjoy this.

Depending on the source there has been an average of one shooting every week or two on the Interstates around Memphis since January 1st.

I am a born and raised Memphis boy and am unapologetic about that, not that I need to be, but this is out of control.

Edited by Garufa
  • Wow 1

I don’t know why anyone would be a Memphis hater…..maybe they don’t like good food or music. But when it comes to getting all indignant and up in arms about crimes rates; we need to look at what’s going on in our own area before we pass judgement on another city or state.  Statistics are available all over the place, some accurate, some not; its up to you to decide.

Everyone seems to be up in arms about the murders in Chicago. You can apply some 4th grade math to the murder numbers and populations and get some interesting results.

Walking around downtown Memphis is more dangerous than Chicago; not that that really matters to some. And Nashville isn’t far behind.

I think the main thing a comparison between the two very violent cities shows is that crime and murder rates have very little to do with citizens carry guns.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Garufa said:

You Memphis haters should enjoy this.

Depending on the source there has been an average of one shooting every week or two on the Interstates around Memphis since January 1st.

I am a born and raised Memphis boy and am unapologetic about that, not that I need to be, but this is out of control.

So what I am getting from this is take the long way around Memphis when heading west.

Did you folks see the Nissan Skyline that was hit with a brick (maybe a rock) from an overpass in Nashvegas a couple months back? Killed the driver on his way to work at Nissan. Insanity surrounds us, threats from every direction.

It is demonic forces. No I am not kidding. Just look at some of the news headlines from around the state. Things like folks beating toddlers to death, starving them, men beating their pregnant wives or girlfriends and killing her and the unborn child. The devil and his demons at work. Look at some of the mugshot pictures and tell me they aren't possessed. Granted alcohol and drugs may be involved, but they look demonic to me.

• Like 7

Guys, its Memphis. People shoot each other there all the time for no reason whatsoever. If you've ever driven the interstate around Memphis, you very quickly learn what road rage is. Terrible traffic, idiot drivers and there's always a construction zone making things even worse somewhere. I'm surprised there aren't more shootings than one a week. Just another day in the big city.  :shake:

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Guys, its Memphis. People shoot each other there all the time for no reason whatsoever. If you've ever driven the interstate around Memphis, you very quickly learn what road rage is. Terrible traffic, idiot drivers and there's always a construction zone making things even worse somewhere. I'm surprised there aren't more shootings than one a week. Just another day in the big city.  :shake:

All true but you gotta admit that this volume of shooting on the interstate is out of the ordinary.  Not that ordinary has ever been an apt description of Memphis, lol.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 3
10 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

I don't understand how this has become a thing.   Or why.   I don't understand what they gain from it.   

I think it's ordinary for city dwellers.

They all sport a victim card because they live in denial:

Never saw them coming

Never thought it would happen to me

Things like that only happen to other people.

Population density helps. I am sure there are some certified bad a$$e$ needing to be in prison to protect us from them, walking around East TN.

They're spread out within about one million people covering an area about 200 miles NE to SW and 100 miles wide.

I also suspect it's easier for gangs to manage smaller blocks of geography vs. country miles.

1 hour ago, A.J. Holst said:

Never saw them coming

That's quite a generalization you're making there.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, A.J. Holst said:

Never saw them coming

Population density helps. I am sure there are some certified bad a$$e$ needing to be in prison to protect us from them, walking around East TN.

They're spread out within about one million people covering an area about 200 miles NE to SW and 100 miles wide.

I also suspect it's easier for gangs to manage smaller blocks of geography vs. country miles.

So why isn't this happening in NY or LA or any of the other hundreds of more densely populated cities.   Your explanation answers nothing.    

• Like 2

I just saw on the news that there's been another shooting tonight on HWY 385/ Bill Morris PKWY. That road seems to be quite popular with the shooters. No serious injuries. Driver got a few cuts from flying glass. No explanation given, but they did mention that this is the 27th highway shooting in Memphis this year. Actually, this is about normal. Shooter takes a couple of pot shots at a vehicle, but rarely is anybody seriously injured. 

So why isn't this happening in NY or LA or any of the other hundreds of more densely populated cities.

Who can say it isn't? Maybe its just not as news worthy in those areas? Besides those people have strict gun regulations. They settle their road rage with tire irons and other blunt instruments. 

BTW: when I have to go into Memphis I try to avoid any major roads as much as possible and I'm always armed. ;)

My little town is right next door to Memphis, but its like a whole nother world. That stuff don't happen here.  :up:

9 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

My little town is right next door to Memphis, but its like a whole nother world. That stuff don't happen here.   

Because there isn't an interstate running through Bartlett.   I live just across the line in Raleigh.   Bartlett is just as crunk as Memphis, you just choose not to notice it.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Ski said:

There were actually two (2) "roadway shootings" overnight.  The other was near Sam Cooper and I-240.  It sounds like that one was related to a disagreement at a night club.

https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2019/06/26/police-investigate-pair-roadway-shootings/

https://www.fox13memphis.com/top-stories/argument-at-club-leads-to-shots-being-fired-on-memphis-road-mpd-says/961578611

Channel 3 this morning put the shooting several miles away at Sam Cooper and Highland. 

21 minutes ago, Garufa said:

They are reporting two separate shootings as well...Sam Cooper at Highland AND 385/Ridgeway.

https://wreg.com/2019/06/26/police-altercation-at-club-may-have-led-to-shooting-on-mid-south-roadway/

Oh I know.   He said it was Sam Cooper and 240 but thats several miles from Sam Cooper and Highland.  That's all I was referring to.   

They also talked about one this morning that happened on July 12th on Third at Mitchell.  

When the government shut down the housing projects and began the gentrification of downtown they gave the former residents of the projects vouchers and relocated them all over Shelby County. 

Every neighborhood in Shelby County can be reached in 15-20 minutes via I240, I40 and 385.  In some cases these clowns are getting into altercations, fleeing towards home via the interstate system, the shootings usually occur during the chase.

In other cases, it’s just stupidity and road rage.  I’ve been to  a lot of places, but I’ve never seen anything like Memphis where the slightest perception of disrespect for the most minor infraction can send a bullet flying in your direction.

It’s a mental illness. They don’t consider the repercussions until after they’ve been caught and held accountable for their actions. Street credibility is king in Memphis. As for the loss of innocent lives, they’ll apologize to your family while being lead out of courtroom to prison.  

It’s summer, so with all of the college kids back home I expect more of the same. That’s another whole story unto itself, the hood rats and gangs versus the kids who choose to attend college or join the military. 

• Like 5
On 6/24/2019 at 9:11 PM, deerslayer said:

That's quite a generalization you're making there.

True.

Many victims versus all would have been a better statement.

It seems to me if you choose to live in a city, you either understand and accept that you have a higher risk than your countrified neighbors or live in denial.