Memphis Interstate Shootings

7 minutes ago, A.J. Holst said:

True.

Many victims versus all would have been a better statement.

It seems to me if you choose to live in a city, you either understand and accept that you have a higher risk than your countrified neighbors or live in denial.

But that just doesn't seem accurate to me.   I have a place in a small town, less than 600 people.   I think thats about as country as it gets.   We don't have a stoplight even.   But the folks across the street's granddaughter is a methhead heroine junkie and has multiple felonies for stealing stuff and bashing people's heads in.   And she ain't the only one.   The neighbors next door used to be junkies but they are all locked up so its some of their family living there now.  The rural areas are full of junkies and criminals.   There is even a thread about a whole county of junkies in the hunting section.   

• Like 1
  • Moderators
5 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

But that just doesn't seem accurate to me.   I have a place in a small town, less than 600 people.   I think thats about as country as it gets.   We don't have a stoplight even.   But the folks across the street's granddaughter is a methhead heroine junkie and has multiple felonies for stealing stuff and bashing people's heads in.   And she ain't the only one.   The neighbors next door used to be junkies but they are all locked up so its some of their family living there now.  The rural areas are full of junkies and criminals.   There is even a thread about a whole county of junkies in the hunting section.   

Tweeker related crimes are not unheard of where I live. 

3 hours ago, A.J. Holst said:

It seems to me if you choose to live in a city, you either understand and accept that you have a higher risk than your countrified neighbors or live in denial.

Like Straw Dogs & Deliverance countrified neighbors, or something different?

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, A.J. Holst said:

True.

Many victims versus all would have been a better statement.

I agree to a certain extent with Cap, although I don't paint all country folks as junkies.  I've spent time in "the country" and have found that bad things happen there, too.  

On the other hand, if you choose to live in the country and commute to your job in Memphis, you'll spend more time on a highway or interstate than the typical city dweller and be more at risk, if you believe all the hype.  

Edited by deerslayer
19 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

I agree to a certain extent with Cap, although I don't paint all country folks as junkies.  I've spent time in "the country" and have found that bad things happen there, too.  

On the other hand, if you choose to live in the country and commute to your job in Memphis, you'll spend more time on a highway or interstate than the typical city dweller and be more at risk, if you believe all the hype.  

Just for clarification, I don’t think they’re all junkies either.    I just don’t want to hear Memphis terrible and nothing bad ever happens in the sticks. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

Bartlett is just as crunk as Memphis, you just choose not to notice it.

I worked for the City of Bartlett for 25 years. So I have a real good idea of how things are here. Bartlett PD is light years ahead of Memphis PD. They close cases and the bad guys know it. Yeah, we have our share of petty crimes. But serious stuff like armed robberies are rare here. And when they do happen, the bad guys do get caught. I can't even remember the last time there was a shooting, much less a murder here. 

Interesting story. A few years ago some guy robbed the Target store on HWY 64. At that point 64 is the city limit between Memphis and Bartlett. If the robber had stayed on the Target side of 64, he probably would have gotten away as MPD response time there is 30 minutes or more. Nope, this dummy crossed over into Bartlett. There we six BPD cruisers on him in less than half a mile. :stick:

Bartlett is a fine town with an absolutely outstanding Police Force. I'm proud to live here.  :usa:

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I worked for the City of Bartlett for 25 years. So I have a real good idea of how things are here. Bartlett PD is light years ahead of Memphis PD. They close cases and the bad guys know it. Yeah, we have our share of petty crimes. But serious stuff like armed robberies are rare here. And when they do happen, the bad guys do get caught. I can't even remember the last time there was a shooting, much less a murder here. 

Interesting story. A few years ago some guy robbed the Target store on HWY 64. At that point 64 is the city limit between Memphis and Bartlett. If the robber had stayed on the Target side of 64, he probably would have gotten away as MPD response time there is 30 minutes or more. Nope, this dummy crossed over into Bartlett. There we six BPD cruisers on him in less than half a mile. :stick:

Bartlett is a fine town with an absolutely outstanding Police Force. I'm proud to live here.  :usa:

I think there was a shooting at the Taco Bell across the street from the PD last July 4th.  A couple Memphians visited Bartlett to watch the fireworks and apparently had a disagreement.  

Anything can happen anywhere anytime.  No one on this forum believes this more than I do.  However, to imply that Bartlett is even in the same galaxy as Memphis crime-wise is just silly.  

Edited by deerslayer

I got friends that live in the neighborhoods behind Bartlett High.   Recently, they had something like five shootings or robberies in the area within a week.  It’s not the utopia Bartlett residents keep trying to sell me.  

9 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

I got friends that live in the neighborhoods behind Bartlett High.   Recently, they had something like five shootings or robberies in the area within a week.  It’s not the utopia Bartlett residents keep trying to sell me.  

I don't know anyone who would argue that the neighborhood behind the high school is a utopia, but I haven't heard of any recent shootings or robberies in Bartlett and I bet the news folks would blast it on loudspeakers if they knew about it.  Where is "in the area?"  Did the shootings/robberies take place inside Bartlett?  Or are we talking about a few minutes west on Yale Rd?

Edited by deerslayer
24 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

I don't know anyone who would argue that the neighborhood behind the high school is a utopia, but I haven't heard of any recent shootings or robberies in Bartlett and I bet the news folks would blast it on loudspeakers if they knew about it.  Where is "in the area?"  Did the shootings/robberies take place inside Bartlett?  Or are we talking about a few minutes west on Yale Rd?

See the quote below.   Exactly what I'm talking about.  And they were between North and Yale.   In Bartlett.  

8 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

You're free to believe whatever you want. I live near Bartlett High and feel perfectly safe here. 

I have some rather strong opinions about Raleigh. But I won't air them here. No point to it. 

Go ahead.   Air them here.   I'd love to hear it.   I live near Craigmont and I feel perfectly safe here.   Wonderful little neighborhood with some fantastic neighbors.   

2 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

See the quote below.   Exactly what I'm talking about.  And they were between North and Yale.   In Bartlett.  

Go ahead.   Air them here.   I'd love to hear it.   I live near Craigmont and I feel perfectly safe here.   Wonderful little neighborhood with some fantastic neighbors.   

Well, if he is calling Bartlett a utopia because he feels perfectly safe, then I guess you are doing the same thing. 

There was a beating in Davieshire back in the spring and I forgot about the bank robbery on Stage Road, although banks are arguably targeted because of ease of access, escape route, etc instead of whether it’s in a high crime neighborhood.  There are burglaries (as opposed to robberies) every week in Bartlett.  They usually involve items being stolen from an unlocked car or storage shed.  The last person being shot in Bartlett that I know of was the July 4 incident I mentioned earlier. 

I don’t think Bartlett or Raleigh or Memphis or any of the suburbs are perfectly safe, but I think my odds are better in Bartlett than in Memphis.  

10 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

EqcmKa2.gif you guys act like someone called your kids ugly. You can dig up crimes in any community.

:leaving:

The Memphis bashing gets old.   And Memphians, true Memphians not the suburbanites, take it very personally.   We all know that Memphis isn't perfect and has more than its share of problems.   But we are still here, trying and tired of hearing people that don't want to be here and are never here talking crap about what we consider "ours."   If I just wrote crap about your house all the time, you'd get tired of it too.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

The Memphis bashing gets old.   And Memphians, true Memphians not the suburbanites, take it very personally.   We all know that Memphis isn't perfect and has more than its share of problems.   But we are still here, trying and tired of hearing people that don't want to be here and are never here talking crap about what we consider "ours."   If I just wrote crap about your house all the time, you'd get tired of it too.  

You mean like your cop-bashing?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

You mean like your cop-bashing?

Sure.   Although those are individuals that are able to defend themselves.   They aren't a place that can't defend itself because its a place.   So I'll stick up for it. 

Edited by Capbyrd
24 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

Sure.   Although those are individuals that are able to defend themselves.   They aren't a place that can't defend itself because its a place.   So I'll stick up for it. 

The elected officials are the ones who are supposed to represent Memphis. Memphis can change its image if it so desired, but it doesn't.