Glock 43X/48 15 rd mags

Steelharp

10 hours ago, hughd said:

I did not. Do you have an early silver slide?

Yep.  I found that thread on brianenos where the guy got new mag springs, so I called Shield.  Shield guy said Glock modified the 43X/48 frame twice.  They call it 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0.  Stouter mag springs are needed for early guns, which mine is.  Two are on the way.  He said they will start using the new springs in their mags.  We’ll see what happens.  

• 3 weeks later...

Got mine this past week with the aluminum mag catch. They work great in my 43X so far. No problems. Crazy to have 15+1 total rounds in a small package. Don't know what else to say about them. If you have questions feel free to ask.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, deerslayer said:

Tested mine this morning.  Put 60 through each one loaded to 15, plus one in the chamber.  They run.  Now I will run a box of carry ammo (Hornady 115 Critical Defense) through each and start carrying them.  I'm ready to buy Shield stock.

Good to know. I haven't range tested mine yet, but anxious to try them.

I agree on the stock. These guys seem to be set to offer quite a bit of innovation for us.

At some point, I will pick up another 48.  I like having two of things I like.  For me at least, it's just about the perfect size carry gun.  The longer grip (vs 365, Hellcat, etc) is a big advantage.  Big enough to draw/shoot, small and light enough to carry/hide comfortably all day.  I usually carry it IWB, but have also carried it in a belly band.  Now it holds 16 rounds.

Edited by deerslayer
48 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

At some point, I will pick up another 48.  I like having two of things I like.  For me at least, it's just about the perfect size carry gun.  The longer grip (vs 365, Hellcat, etc) is a big advantage.  Big enough to draw/shoot, small and light enough to carry/hide comfortably all day.  I usually carry it IWB, but have also carried it in a belly band.  Now it holds 16 rounds.

I feel the same.  Got my mags last week.  I just need to test them.  I am happy about being able to carry 16 in my 48.

• 1 month later...
Guest OMCHamlin

Tried mine yesterday, mag + xtra power spring and metal mag release. Shot it during a local IDPA match, first time it had ever been used. Shot fine, locked open on each empty mag. I'll be ordering two more, and with that Hogue grip sleeve that's specific to the G43X/48, my 43X is a perfect size for me for CC, I may even trade my G19 Gen 3 in on a 48 and actually make that my IDPA gun (grip sleeve, sights, trigger polish, metal mag release). I'll back that up with another pile of Shield Arms mags and be good to go!

IMG_2785.JPG

Edited by OMCHamlin
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest OMCHamlin

Picked up two more and took all three to the range with my as yet uncleaned G43X Silver. Had their metal mag release installed from SA mag one, nice product, BTW.  The original SA mag I bought had a +spring put in it by me, the most recently acquired pair did not, mainly because they were out of stock at the time. I figured hey, if they work as is, great, if not, I'll pick up two more + springs and keep on keeping on.

So, I went a little too casual at my impromptu range test, I failed to mark any of the mags. That would have been great with a 100% test, but it twern't so.  Over a mixed random box of various makers Jhps, most all +P, they all ran okay. However, somewhere along the way, with ~ 80-90 Fmj 115s, I had two FTFs, one a nose up, one a nose down.   That said, I'll repeat, gun still dirty, but with numbered mags, maybe have Mrs OMC on cell video if I can isolate one mag of the bunch. It still may just need cycled a time or two, knock an internal burr off or something. We'll see...  I sure as hell WANT to believe. In fact if so, a 48 is in the works for me!

Got my 2 in. Hard to load at first but after loading and leaving loaded they have eased some.

Have not had a chance to shoot yet but running rounds thru the pistol/mags by hand they seem fine.

Went ahead and ordered the Shield Arms magazine release that they recommend should be here today.

• Like 1
Guest OMCHamlin
On 4/3/2020 at 5:04 AM, OMCHamlin said:

Picked up two more and took all three to the range with my as yet uncleaned G43X Silver. Had their metal mag release installed from SA mag one, nice product, BTW.  The original SA mag I bought had a +spring put in it by me, the most recently acquired pair did not, mainly because they were out of stock at the time. I figured hey, if they work as is, great, if not, I'll pick up two more + springs and keep on keeping on.

So, I went a little too casual at my impromptu range test, I failed to mark any of the mags. That would have been great with a 100% test, but it twern't so.  Over a mixed random box of various makers Jhps, most all +P, they all ran okay. However, somewhere along the way, with ~ 80-90 Fmj 115s, I had two FTFs, one a nose up, one a nose down.   That said, I'll repeat, gun still dirty, but with numbered mags, maybe have Mrs OMC on cell video if I can isolate one mag of the bunch. It still may just need cycled a time or two, knock an internal burr off or something. (okay, or not...We'll see...  I sure as hell WANT to believe. In fact if so, a 48 is in the works for me!

And so, see we shall, (that's hard to say). Yesterday, Mrs OMC & I went to the range to shoot and I took this 43X, silver slide and all three Shield Arms mags; the first one I got, with the + spring I bought with it, plus the two I got most recently with the standard weight springs. As it turned out, the issues returned and were repeatable. For once in my miserable existence, there was rhyme AND reason to this, the mags with the standard weight springs (#'s 1 & 3) were experiencing nose dives every mag  or so, near the 11th or 12th rd, while mag #2, with the + spring installed, seems to continue to run okay.

No video, but some crappy cell pics;

hQk5paP.jpg

5Gcpi3V.jpg

Now, I'll wait and see if they get those springs in any time soon. and re-test.  Ha! Just as I was getting ready to post this, I got my "Back in Stock" notice from Shield, so 2 +10% springs are on the way!  Anyhow, a Glock is not a "connoisseurs' pistol, it's a workhorse. It should run without question. I want to like, trust and carry these mags, but they can't take away from that 100% that you get with the factory 10 rd mags.  If this spring turns this 100%, I'll bet I soon own a G48 (Black!) and a dozen of these...

Edited by OMCHamlin
Guest OMCHamlin

Well, they say the silver slides were made slightly differently, and mine is one of those. I DO wonder if that kind of malfunction is what they were meaning by "might need the +10% spring" though?

48 minutes ago, OMCHamlin said:

Well, they say the silver slides were made slightly differently, and mine is one of those. I DO wonder if that kind of malfunction is what they were meaning by "might need the +10% spring" though?

Short of test fire, I wonder if there's any way of knowing which batch of 15 round mags have the +10% springs. I've fired and got great results from the 10 round mags, but haven't been able to go out with the 3 15s I have.

BTW, I have a silver slide model as well. What do you know of any differences in them from the black slide models?

Edited by hipower
Guest OMCHamlin

Not... exactly.  I've been told that the slide rails set up a tad higher on the early ones which can make the slide fail to lock open of the last round, but I've also been told that's why the metal mag release was specified.  The +10 % spring maybe was intended to compensate for slide speed? But I'm totally NOT sure about that. I mean why would slide speed (or velocity during cycling) matter between the silver slided versions or the newer 43X variants with the black slide?

I guess I shoulda' stuck with "not sure"...

Got some G48/Shield magazine trigger time today.  I wanted a second 48 before the great COVID gun buying spree began and local prices went straight up.  Then I found one for $479 in town and jumped on it.  Got the Shield mag catch and sights set up.  I have five Shield mags numbered 1-5.  1 and 2 are my first two that I added the stiffer springs to.  I was about out of carry ammo and a buddy and I recently cashed in on the recent Target Sports Federal HST sale.  I don't get lathered up over magazine articles and gel tests, but HST is supposedly the best.  Maybe it is.  At half price, it was a lot cheaper than buying more Hornady Critical Defense that I was using.  I tested 1 and 2 with the old silver slide gun and 3 and 5 with the new gun after some breaking in with jacketed and coated handloads.  I didn't have enough ammo to test all mags with both guns (and don't know when it will be available).  Mag 4 would hold only 14, so it will sit in the safe for a month with 14 and I'll revisit it later.  Otherwise, everything ran.  

On a side note, competitive Glock shooters agree that a 4.5 striker spring is as light as you go with a stock striker to avoid light strikes.  I do this on gamer guns, but avoid much modification on carry guns.  I threw caution to the wind and put a 4.5 striker spring in the new gun after polishing the internals.  To really test it, I loaded some ammo with some older Wolf primers, which have a reputation for being the hardest primers available.  The 4.5 spring ate them up (along with the HST) and was easier to shoot than the silver gun.  The silver gun will now get the same treatment.  I'll test it before carrying it, but I'm confident it will run, too.  

Edited by deerslayer