SRO Law

4 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

Where did yall go to school that you had cops around?  I went to a Memphis City School and they didn't have a cop until after I graduated. 

I went to Chattanooga city schools and we had an SRO in the 80's. 

1 minute ago, peejman said:

I went to Chattanooga city schools and we had an SRO in the 80's. 

Why?   What was going on that they had cops there all the time?   Like I said, we didn't have cops at the school all the time but usually one or two would sit in the parking lot as school got out.   But that was really it.   

38 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

Why?   What was going on that they had cops there all the time?   Like I said, we didn't have cops at the school all the time but usually one or two would sit in the parking lot as school got out.   But that was really it.   

Don't know, I was an ignorant high school kid. I recall a few minor drug busts (weed) and other ordinary hooligan crap, but nothing of significance. They spent more time cruising the parking lot than walking the halls. 

2 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

Where did yall go to school that you had cops around?  I went to a Memphis City School and they didn't have a cop until after I graduated. 

My school had a very redneck SRO that I wouldn't count on to do much of anything. Even my friend that worked with him at the same police department said he was useless.  Yes, that's a cop, saying his SRO coworker was useless. 

The 'conservative Republicans' in the legislature would have been better off just legalizing carry for people with handgun carry permits or the 'enhanced' carry permits on K-12 school and college property.  Then add some sort of employment law stating that staff at public K-12 schools can carry without getting fired from their jobs.

That is too easy of a fix by adding a sentence or two to the weapons law and some wording to school staff employment law. 

It is better for 'conservative Republicans' to spend extra money in order to do something and even create more jobs.

Police and armed guards are important at campuses, but one officer or armed guard cannot be expected to protect a large school campus with a thousand students. 

I still think technology and training is the key in addition to an SRO. If an SRO is doing his job chances are good he may not see a threat coming. But someone might, and the ability to see it and set a response in action is the key.

1 hour ago, 300winmag said:

The 'conservative Republicans' in the legislature would have been better off just legalizing carry for people with handgun carry permits or the 'enhanced' carry permits on K-12 school and college property.  Then add some sort of employment law stating that staff at public K-12 schools can carry without getting fired from their jobs. 

From what ive seen, teachers would riot if that were to happen.  

1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

From what ive seen, teachers would riot if that were to happen.  

Indeed they would and I’d wager the overwhelming majority of all teachers not only in this state but across the country want no guns around at all.

They’re teachers, not gunslingers.

That is why we are paying for SRO’s in schools.  Like it’s going to help.

I don't think the teachers in Mississippi made a big deal when MS got enhanced licenses that legalized K-12 and college carry several years ago.  I am not sure if K-12 school employees there can carry without breaking some sort of workplace policy.  

My opinion is that a lot of the 'conservative Republicans' in TN are not as pro gun as they claim to be when other states have legalized school and college carry. Of course many other states have now legalized constitutional carry. We instead get a so called enhanced permit from our Republican majority legislature that is not enhanced at all.

Edited by 300winmag

Carry in schools K-12 and post-secondary has been legal for several years.....in private schools.  Don't know of any that actually do so, but is legal and up to the individual school policy.

Second point, the ECP, as it will be referenced should me moved to a status of 'equal to LEO' carry.  That will add greater distinction compared to the CCP and solve the sign law criminal charge BS, imo.

8 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

A SRO isn't there just to stop an attack. Schools are a training ground for young criminals, drug dealers and gang banger wannabes. You'd be surprised by the amount of actual police work a SRO has to do these days. 

That was my point in the post above. An SRO won’t be constantly standing guard over the entrance with an AR waiting on a shooter to approach.

If I was the parents of school age children I would be more concerned about what I could help do and less concerned about complaining about cops.

Nikolas Cruz walked up to the school carrying a duffle bag. He was known to school officials to be a problem. A Staff member saw him and radioed a “Code Red” for a school lockdown. It was too late.

I don’t know what the procedure is for a “Code Red”; but I know what it should be. My guess is it is mainly concerned with telling the students what to do, where to go, and how to get secure. That’s great, but that isn’t going to fix the main problem. People, other than a single SRO, should be assigned to be moving towards the breech and have what they need to engage a shooter. It truly is that simple.

This is 2019 not 1970. We have technology that can give good people the time and opportunity they need to put their own shooter in place to overpower or neutralize a heavily armed person.