Concealed Carry for City Employees/Mt Juliet

Mt Juliet TN mayor proposed a ordinance allowing city employees, who have valid concealed carry permits, to carry their EDC to work. He explained after the latest mass shooting where 11 city employees were killed, he feels his city employees have a right to self defense even at work. His plan is to allow them to carry for self protection.

Be interesting to see if this flies. By the way, I agree with him.

• Like 3
On 6/25/2019 at 6:50 PM, pop pop said:

Mt Juliet TN mayor proposed a ordinance allowing city employees, who have valid concealed carry permits, to carry their EDC to work. He explained after the latest mass shooting where 11 city employees were killed, he feels his city employees have a right to self defense even at work. His plan is to allow them to carry for self protection.

Be interesting to see if this flies. By the way, I agree with him.

It's already legal, no need for an additional local law. Just requires no local ordinance or official policy against it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

The town probably has a human resource policy against employees carrying guns while working even though it is legal under state law to carry on the town's property.  That HR policy is probably what is getting changed so that employees are not fired for carrying on the job.  Changing an employment policy of their town may require some sort of vote.

Here's a good story. As most of you know, I'm a retired City of Bartlett employee. Some years ago the Mayor we had at the time was well liked. He'd come by various departments from time to time and just chatted with employees about most anything. When his car came in for service at the City Shop, where I worked, it was standard procedure to reach down between the seats, remove his S&W Model 60 and secure it in the office until he came back for the car. It never bothered any of us. That's just what we did.

So one night one of the upper echelon City Hall pencil pushers goes out to dinner driving his city car. He left his lights on and sure nuff, he came out about 10:00 pm to a dead battery. One of my co-workers was called out to go boost him off. My co-worker made a regular habit, that if he got called out at night, he'd take his pistol along. So he's taking care of business and the pencil pusher happens to look inside his service truck and saw the gun on the seat.  :eek:

So here's the story as we got it from reliable friends at City Hall: Bright and early the next morning, the pencil pusher rushes into the Mayor's office and starts going off about this city employee who had a gun in a city vehicle. The mayor just looked at him and said "So do I. What's your point?" :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

HR policy is typically adopted by either ordinance or resolution, depending on the charter language. Likely the mayor is seeking to amend the policy. I’m aware of several city policies that are silent on the issue, they don’t post, and they typically have a clause about personnel observing laws while on duty; and at least one that actively allows it but requires a copy of the HCP on file in HR. Best way to address it is to silently allow. Active support could invite unnecessary risk on the taxpayer if an employee acts irresponsibly, or worse. 

We have a no gun policy at my job and we are not in a great part of town in fact I found. Bullet laying in the parking lot Thursday looks like it struck concrete ( building) and bounce off. Not uncommon to find shell casing in the parking lot either. When mentioned carrying in the building one day to the boss when we are working late. His response company has a policy against it. 

Edited by swiley383

Mt Juliet City Hall, also houses the police office as well, they likely think they need to pass an ordinance to allow carry within the building since by default state law would prohibit such carry.  They may also have court hearing (traffic court) inside the building as well, both of which would make the building no go under 39-17-1359.