Local Gun Store

I went to On Target yesterday in Murfreesboro. Found out it has new ownership. Clerk said they got rid of all the guns that were not selling.  I looked around and they had 7 revolvers, two of which were not hot movers. The walls were lined with nothing but A R type rifles, and the pistol cases were full of plastic pistols. Everything black. 

They did have a one case with steel Sig pistols. No one in the store but 2 clerks. No one on the indoor range either.  

I wouldn't give a nickel for an AR. I know they have improved, but the one I had in Vietnam was not a good rifle. 

Is this all that people are purchasing these days?     How boring!

• Like 1

I would hate to have to try to make a living in the gun retail business. I don’t see how they do it.

I did notice that On Target is dumping what appears to be their entire store inventory on Armslist daily.

Well...that's sad. I play with adult Legos too, but still love my bolts, pumps, levers, stainless, wood and bluing. Like most things it's a fad phase I think. Extra popular because of the ease of building, or I should say easy universal assembly. It takes skill to work on/with wood and, say, rabbit ears and soldered side by sides. AR's are to the gun world what Legos are to the engineering/construction world. Where all the kids start 😲😋

• Like 1
5 hours ago, pop pop said:

I wouldn't give a nickel for an AR. I know they have improved, but the one I had in Vietnam was not a good rifle. 

You can get a basic, reliable AR for $500.

I have an M&P Sport 2, been flawless.

Ruger also hits that price point from time to time.

Since I've got one, I'm good to go for my needs, so a wall of black rifles is pretty boring to me as well.

The gun business has dramatically changed since 2008.

AR's are a dime a dozen now but will be the first to double when/if prog/soc/comm's  (dems) take the presidency or get majorities in congress.

Collectible guns have taken a hit due to price & the younger generation doesn't know what they are or have no interest.

• Like 2
On 6/27/2019 at 2:33 PM, pop pop said:

wouldn't give a nickel for an AR. I know they have improved, but the one I had in Vietnam was not a good rifle.

I hate to be a smart alec but in Vietnam you would have had an M-16 not an AR-15. The guns themselves were okay it was the crappy ammo they had. As a side note that a lot of people don't know, the AR-15 was a civilian gun made by Armalite and the gov't was needing a light rifle in a small caliber and they asked could they be made full auto and there was the beginning of the M-16.

The new owner or On Target owns a company that builds/sells AR's, somewhere in Georgia. Most of what you see on the walls are their in house builds they are pushing. I spoke with him shortly after they opened the store back up and he seems like a decent guy, proud of his AR's and cerakote business. Like Dave said earlier I think it would be tough to own a retail gun shop and stay open. I'm sure the range keeps them afloat mostly. The margin on most guns are so low it's hard to live off that alone. Hopefully they do well, been there for what feels like forever now. They also have my suppressor so I need them to keep the doors open long enough for my approval or Trump to ban them. 

• Like 1

I hate to say it but don't believe everything wikipedia says!! Multiple times in that article they said assault rifle, that isn't what an AR-15 is. It is a sporting rifle. My old Winchester model 1862 pump .22 could be an assault rifle if you assaulted someone with it. So could a 2 iron golf club. Or a 5,000 lb. pickup truck.

10 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

I hate to say it but don't believe everything wikipedia says!! Multiple times in that article they said assault rifle, that isn't what an AR-15 is. It is a sporting rifle. My old Winchester model 1862 pump .22 could be an assault rifle if you assaulted someone with it. So could a 2 iron golf club. Or a 5,000 lb. pickup truck.

I hate to break it to you, but neither your golf club not a pickup will ever be an assault rifle.

The definition of the term is applied to a class of firearms with certain features, it doesn't come from the actual use of a specific object. No matter how much you want to change the definition, it's not going to happen. It really doesn't matter how much you argue it.

Edited by TomInMN
Had to correct autocorrect.
On 6/29/2019 at 8:00 AM, felinesNfreedom said:

The new owner or On Target owns a company that builds/sells AR's, somewhere in Georgia. Most of what you see on the walls are their in house builds they are pushing.

Looks like its Head Down Firearms. I don't know anything about them, but they are in the higher end of the pricing. Hope that works out for them. I used their range a couple of weeks ago. They still have a daily rate and haven’t went to an hourly rate yet like some others; that's a good thing.