Grand Torino's Knife Making Skills

11 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Yeah, there are quite a few of us that have been fans of his work for a long while. 

I hope the free plug serves him well!  He deserves it. I also might have another knife from him soon! Hopefully.

• Authorized Vendor
1 hour ago, RED333 said:

GT is very good at making knifes, here are mine, the Dager on the left is not a GT knife. 4 are not in this pic, giving away as gifts.

20190608_174318.jpg

Seeing that big one makes me want to make one for myself.:P

• Like 2

He is a very good knife maker, I only have three,kBHbqRK.thumb.jpg.27c50ae488c37e775a8cf0db66054b13.jpg20150208_152028_resized.thumb.jpg.61aff10b125508b127ca74dfd6eef9fb.jpg two of them I had him build for me the other I go out of the classifieds. I need another Bowie Style Knife, I still would like him to consider making me that ( "SASQUATCH" ) style but we'll have to see. Here are the two I had him build for me.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
41 minutes ago, DJTC45 said:

He is a very good knife maker, I only have three,kBHbqRK.thumb.jpg.27c50ae488c37e775a8cf0db66054b13.jpg20150208_152028_resized.thumb.jpg.61aff10b125508b127ca74dfd6eef9fb.jpg two of them I had him build for me the other I go out of the classifieds. I need another Bowie Style Knife, I still would like him to consider making me that ( "SASQUATCH" ) style but we'll have to see. Here are the two I had him build for me.

Oh I like that top one. Grand Torino, can you do me that with a gut hook?

I don't have one, so I think it wouldn't be right for me to start it, but I would enjoy browsing a GT Knife collection thread.

C'mon, kids! Sun's out guns, er, KNIVES out! And add some details about what your knife is made of and the style, if you please.

• Like 1

I have only one so far. Currently on my mantel, bought for my son for next Christmas but it looks pretty good where it is so we will see.

FeatherKnife-smer.jpg

Edited by Jeb48
  • Like 2
11 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

I have only one so far. Currently on my mantel, bought for my son for next Christmas but it looks pretty good where it is so we will see.

FeatherKnife-smer.jpg

Yes...it does. But would have looked better in my case! lol

2 hours ago, 221 Fireball said:

I like the small one on the far right. What do you call that one GT? And will you be making any more of those? Big knives are pretty, but small knives are great working knives.

Looks like one of his smaller sawblade knives. I have one and it's really handy. 

• Like 1
  • Authorized Vendor
2 hours ago, 221 Fireball said:

I like the small one on the far right. What do you call that one GT? And will you be making any more of those? Big knives are pretty, but small knives are great working knives.

45 minutes ago, peejman said:

Looks like one of his smaller sawblade knives. I have one and it's really handy. 

I can't really tell from the picture but peejman may be right about it being a sawmill knife. I will be making more sawmill blades.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, peejman said:

Here's mine....  sawmill in the front, damascus in the back. 

i-hDHnqQR-XL.jpg

Isn't there a joke about that? Something something... Sawmill up front, Damascus in the rear??

Grand Torino, would you say this is how your sawmill blades still look? I thought they'd be darker based on the recent threads you've posted.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TomInMN said:

Isn't there a joke about that? Something something... Sawmill up front, Damascus in the rear??

Grand Torino, would you say this is how your sawmill blades still look? I thought they'd be darker based on the recent threads you've posted.

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear (?) 

Couple things about the color... My blade wasn't as dark to begin with as some of the others. I sat it at an angle to make the light reflect off the surface so the pattern in the Damascus and the primary bevel would pop more in the photo. And I've used it a fair bit so the black oxide is wearing off a little, which is normal.  The darkness of black oxide can vary significantly. 

Edited by peejman
  • Thanks 1
  • Authorized Vendor
9 hours ago, TomInMN said:

I vary quite a bit on the finish from batch to batch. And some of the old sawmill steel takes the finish differently than others. The current batch of blades I'm working on are noticeably lighter than some of the previous ones. I just kinda go with what I have to work with and try to make that particular piece look as best as I feel it can.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, Grand Torino said:

I vary quite a bit on the finish from batch to batch. And some of the old sawmill steel takes the finish differently than others. The current batch of blades I'm working on are noticeably lighter than some of the previous ones. I just kinda go with what I have to work with and try to make that particular piece look as best as I feel it can.

Good to know, thanks.

From what I've seen so far, you do a pretty dang good job making your pieces look good.

• Like 1