Who's used "ProPex" Plumbing? Any plumbers here?

• Moderators

I was about to swap out my pressure reducing valve but then realized that although it has a brass nut on one end, the other end is essentially a ProPex connection.  Photos below:

bxDefl7.jpg

In the above photo, you can see a brass fitting attached to a threaded piece of copper that connects to an (unseen) cut-off valve that in turn connects to more Pex.

Mq3MEbY.jpg

Going left out of the valve you can see one of the "ProPex" expansion type fittings.

I've read and through experience seen that the "Sharkbite" fittings are not really all that great and will probably leak over time. I've been convinced that these "ProPex" fittings are indeed the way to go.

I'm super ready to just purchase the Milwaukee 1" Propex Expansion tool. If you look, you can can get the fittings for about $0.39 each. Youtube videos make it generally look quite easy.

I say all of this to say, I think I'd like to purchase that tool and replace all the piping in my house. Hopefully I can do what I can, in sections, over the next few months.

However, does anyone with experience have any necessary input on either what to do or not do?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently have all copper in my house and in process of a DIY master bath remodel.    Having to move some plumbing around and have decided to use PEX.    I'm going the route of the PEX Stainless Steel clamp method since I won't be doing that many connections.     The tool for that is much cheaper at around $50 depending on the brand you buy.      

When you say you want to replace all the piping in your house, do you have all PEX or copper beyond what we see in the photos?     I assume you intend on dealing with any leaks as they happen in the future and not intend on replacing non-leaking lines.   :)   

Keep in mind that the equivalent-size PEX will have a larger OD than copper. I ran 3/4" PEX for the main lines in my house, and used a 1" auger drill to get through joists.

Also, the more system-wide planning you do initially, the better off your distribution system will be. And leave extra tubing in your runs, for just in case.

I also used the metal ring clamping system. My tool came with a few inserts for the jaws, to clamp different sizes of tubing.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Trekbike said:

I currently have all copper in my house and in process of a DIY master bath remodel.    Having to move some plumbing around and have decided to use PEX.    I'm going the route of the PEX Stainless Steel clamp method since I won't be doing that many connections.     The tool for that is much cheaper at around $50 depending on the brand you buy.      

When you say you want to replace all the piping in your house, do you have all PEX or copper beyond what we see in the photos?     I assume you intend on dealing with any leaks as they happen in the future and not intend on replacing non-leaking lines.   :)   

I don't want to get into too many details, but essentially the plumber the contractor used in the remodel before we purchased was horrible. We have generally PVC, but I'd like to replace it all with PEX as I'd feel better about it long term. From my research, those expansion connections are strong. I watched a YouTube video showing the pipe itself bursting before the fitting would blow-off.

So I'm considering it an investment project of "doing things right" instead of "fast".

If you want to buy the tool, buy the tool. But I don't think you absolutely have to buy the tool to replace your PRV. It looks like a propex x male adapter is screwed into the valve. You could undo the union and take it out of that band iron hanger, then hold the male adapter with a wrench and unscrew the PRV. 

I'm a plumber, well I was before becoming a stay at home dad. The whole pex expansion vs crimp vs cinch debate rages on with no end in sight.  I personally went with the copper crimp ring style of pex for the little bit of work I still do.

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, broox said:

If you want to buy the tool, buy the tool. But I don't think you absolutely have to buy the tool to replace your PRV. It looks like a propex x male adapter is screwed into the valve. You could undo the union and take it out of that band iron hanger, then hold the male adapter with a wrench and unscrew the PRV. 

I'm a plumber, well I was before becoming a stay at home dad. The whole pex expansion vs crimp vs cinch debate rages on with no end in sight.  I personally went with the copper crimp ring style of pex for the little bit of work I still do.

I think I came to the same conclusion as you did earlier today after watching a lot of expansion fitting videos. I think I'll give that a try, but I think I'll go ahead and maybe purchase the tool and start tackling some projects around here.

My fear is taking that loose and for whatever reason not being able to get it back together without a the tool (replacement PRV too short/long, etc.

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, broox said:

Any specific reason you went for copper crimp over expansion?

And you agree both of those are probably much better than the Sharkbite fittings?

42 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

My fear is taking that loose and for whatever reason not being able to get it back together without a the tool (replacement PRV too short/long, etc.

If you're reasonably handy and you have the equipment, you'll be fine. That short stub to the elbow could be replaced entirely if it ends up too short. The nice thing about too long is that it can always be trimmed.😉

The fact that you already have some work done in a particular style might be a mark in favor of keeping with that style. But if it's not much already done and you have a lot left to do I guess that's less of an advantage...

45 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

Any specific reason you went for copper crimp over expansion?

And you agree both of those are probably much better than the Sharkbite fittings?

I do a little bit of service and repair and remodel work for friends occasionally. You can use copper crimp rings on pex that is designed to be expanded, but you cannot expand pex that is designed to be crimped or cinched. I just bought the tool that can work on any pex. 

And yes, all of this is better than sharkbites.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, broox said:

I do a little bit of service and repair and remodel work for friends occasionally. You can use copper crimp rings on pex that is designed to be expanded, but you cannot expand pex that is designed to be crimped or cinched. I just bought the tool that can work on any pex. 

And yes, all of this is better than sharkbites.

Makes sense. Based on my very limited research (starting today), it seems that the expansion fittings are theoretically the absolute best in terms of longevity and general ability to stay leakproof.

Since I'm only going it for myself, with the number one goal generally being reliability and dependability of the fittings, do you agree that if I'm willing to spend the ~$200 or so on the Milwaukee expansion tool, the expansion fittings are likely my best overall bet?

I am aware that it takes PEX-A. Is there any reason you can think of I'd be better off not using PEX-A and sticking with "regular PEX" and the crimp fittings?

GlockSpock, are the rest of your battery tool Milwaukee? Any chance you have Dewalt? They also make an expander tool. Like the small milwaukee it goes up to 1".

One of the really nice things about pro-pex is the fittings are full bore. The other types reduce the ID at the fitting.

good luck

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Mark A said:

GlockSpock, are the rest of your battery tool Milwaukee? Any chance you have Dewalt? They also make an expander tool. Like the small milwaukee it goes up to 1".

One of the really nice things about pro-pex is the fittings are full bore. The other types reduce the ID at the fitting.

good luck

Milwaukee. 

Mans yeah, I have noticed that too about the inside diameter. 

NOT an expert, simply an end user.

2008 involved with building a commercial building. Totally plumbed with pex, including the manifold.

No leaks today.

Asked the plumber why not copper.

He said copper pipe today can have more impurities and eventually the chlorine and flouride dissolve those impurities and after a few years, voila, pin hole leaks.

Cheap Chinese copper says he.

Currently remodeling, my guy replaced the diverter and replumbed copper supply with pex.

IMG_20190622_124401069.jpg

• Moderators

Finally tackled this project today. I was able to remove the nut from the right side (in the photos) of that PRV, but was not able to loosen the threads on the connection on the left. I ended up cutting the ProPEX, threaded in the new PRV, and then used my handy dandy new Milwaukee tool to fit the new fitting. So far so good.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Mark A said:

As someone who brazed and threaded a lot of pipe back in the day, after my first pex chore I was looking for things to replace...

I...suddenly know the feeling. I wasted two of the fittings just having fun and showing my Wife how it works. Let her put a fitting together.

15 hours ago, GlockSpock said:

I...suddenly know the feeling. I wasted two of the fittings just having fun and showing my Wife how it works. Let her put a fitting together.

Hey brother, be careful with this. We don't want word getting out that our projects aren't, in fact, very difficult. Or, god forbid, that we actually have fun doing them.

😁