Definitive credible, easy to understand resource?

I'm working to get up to speed on the Tennessee laws regarding guns, use of force and other related issues.  Can anyone recommend a definitive credible, easy to understand in print resource?  A handbook of sorts?

For years as a Florida resident I have relied on https://www.amazon.com/FLORIDA-FIREARMS-Law-Ownership-2018/dp/0964195895  I've purchased each revised edition and followed updates to the book as the laws changed over time.  The book has saved me from making incorrect assumptions while also plainly stating what is allowable by law. 

Anything like this available from an attorney in Tennessee?

This forum will answer your questions.

You can purchase a copy of “Tennessee Code Annotated” or you can simply use LexisNexis online.

Many times the interpretation of the law is either confusing or simply wrong. It depends on who is interpreting it, and why. You are then left to make decisions on your own.

There may be a book out there, but as fast as our laws change it would be tough to keep up to date.

BTW…. Attorneys are not always right. They are one source you might want to use, but whether its this forum or an attorney, you are ultimately responsible for reading the law and deciding your course of action.

Most of the Tennessee laws regarding guns are pretty straight forward. We don’t (at this time) have the whole Concealed/Open/Printing/Brandishing to deal with. That could be changing soon though.

• Like 1

Ditto on what DaveTN said.  Read the statutes for yourself.  You can find them here: https://advance.lexis.com/container?config=014CJAA5ZGVhZjA3NS02MmMzLTRlZWQtOGJjNC00YzQ1MmZlNzc2YWYKAFBvZENhdGFsb2e9zYpNUjTRaIWVfyrur9ud&crid=5679cfc0-a380-47cc-8adb-2ecd1aaf1df1

Select Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

I try to read it after July 1st every year.  The State Legislature convenes in January of each year and usually ends sometime in May.  Most bills they pass become effective July 1st of that same year.  That's why I wait until after July 1st.  However, they do make some exceptions on their effective dates depending upon the legislation passed.

There are also Attorney General Opinions that affect how the laws are interpreted.  They are harder to locate.  You can find them here: https://www.tn.gov/attorneygeneral/opinions.html

and follow the instructions under "How do I search for an opinion if I do not know the number or when it was issued?"

All good info.  Thank you.

I am not a TN resident, yet.  I visit often though.  I carry both concealed and on occasion openly by virtue of the reciprocity through my FL CWP.  Some of the nuances I have picked up on are regarding things as first blush I would not have considered.  For example, in FL the CWP covers all weapons although there are some different regulations regarding rifles versus handguns.  The FL CWP covers someone carrying a knife, a baton, pepper spray over 2 oz and other items.  I read that without special additional training, a TN resident even with a permit cannot possess a baton.  That strikes me as odd that the State of TN will entrust me to carry a gun but not a baton.  Small differences such as that are what I don;t want to get tripped up on.