New home!!

Well it's finally done. I finally got moved to my new home. I now live in Gordonsville Tennessee and back in the country again after 20 years of city life. I forgot what it was like to need something from the store living in the country. It's not a 10 minute trip to grab a few things anymore. The nearest stores are about 12 to 15 miles away. So now I need to get back in the habit of when I go to the store I need to stock up instead of just grabbing a few things.

I also am now living in a house I could have put my last house in the living room of. It's a journey just to make it to the coffee pot first thing in the morning!! The kitchen is also huge. Master bedroom is as big as both of the bedrooms in the old house. I have put all of my furniture in the rooms and they still look empty. Getting TV reception is an adventure also. I'm shopping a new antenna this coming week. Need something with more than a 50 mile range on it. Tommy said they are bringing Fiber-Optics lines down this road in about 2 months and I am sure hoping Spectrum is one of the servers on it. If it is I will be getting TV and Internet as son as they can hook me up. Tommy (SIL) says he just wants internet cause they don't watch enough TV to get it.

Another thing is I have not got a good nights sleep since I have been here. Not use to it being so quiet at night. Oh well just wanted to bring folks up to date on whats going on in my life..................:up:

• Like 14

We just moved here last Nov and there were conflicts. I wanted a big garage and 20+ acres and wife needed high speed internet. She still works and requires it for her job. So we settled in Gallatin for the time being. Got the garage, but just an acre of land. Minute she is retired, we are out of here. Or at least I am, 😉  We went from a 900 sqft house in NJ practically right under Rt 80 to this place, a little over 2100 sqft. Keep telling her I need a Segway, lol. I spent months trying to find internet on a piece of land. The providers know me by first name... But no go... Be leery when they say fiber optics is coming. I've been hearing that forever. They are slow down here depending where you are at. It's based pretty much by how many people scream for it. They get first dibs. AT&T is garbage speeds. Comcast can give you up to 1gig dl speeds. We are content with 275 right now...

Good luck!

2 hours ago, Grand Torino said:

Good to hear you're settled in. You'll learn to appreciate the peace and quite. I know I sure do.:lol:

I never had such peace and quiet, what sux is now I really hear my tinnitus... but it’s worth it. 👍🏻

Glad you're settled. We have lived 15-30 minutes from a real store for years and you get use to it. We do have a convenience/gas station about 2 miles away for quick small purchases which is handy. Amazon does a lot of sales too. When you are going to wait a day or so anyway to run into town you might as well have it delivered to the door.

We do love the quiet, really a problem when we visit my Mother (there now) she lives 20' from a truck route in town on the corner were they have to stop and turn. Neighbor a block away is doing his extended fireworks display again tonight.

Want to thank all of you for the replies. I will try and asnwer them but if i miss one don't be upset. As far as living in the country. I have lived in the country most of my life when I was younger and loved it. Then I moved to Gallatin, in town and lived there 20 years and would still be there if it was not for the land lord and his idea to renovate all 3 of the units so he can jack up the rent when he rents them next time. I would not mind living in the country again if I was 20 years younger but got use to having stores 10 minutes from my house and use to city noise at night.

I did finally get a good nights sleep last night and feel a lot more rested this morning. As far as the Fiber-Optics, I am not holding me breath on it. As long as my AT&T hot spot keeps working here I will have internet. I have been shopping outdoor antenna's so I can get better TV service. I am looking for something with at least 150 mile range. I think I do have satelite options also since both houses here have dish's on them from previous owners so evidently it works. Just need to find out which network was here last time and see if they still offer service in this area. Just about every house on this road has a dish on their houses.

I am a long ways from being settled as far as boxes still packed. I have the essentials out and put up and now will take my time on the rest. There is still a few things that Tommy needs to do to the house but I guess those getting done will depend alot on his work schedule.

I am going back to Gallatin a couple times this coming week to wrap up some loose ends. Last bills paid, Change of address at post office, going to insurance company and giving them new address, Going to Social Security office and giving them new address, then going by Department of Safety office there and giving them new address and getting new license and new carry permit. I don't think that can be done online but will be easier to just go there and do it. Well, thats about it for now. will update this when I have got things done. Again thanks for the replies.

Bersaguy     aka Doug

Congrats on the move. Similarly, we lived between Portland and Gallatin on 5 acres, waaaay out of town, with a hotspot for internet....I still have it, need to put it on eBay someday soon. Luckily we both worked from home, but we had to watch the bandwidth caps.... that sucked.
Initially we had Direct-TV but that was a waste of funds and bailed as soon as we could. I put up an OTA antenna but due to all the trees it was very much hit/miss depending on the weather. We moved (for family reasons) to Nashville but I do miss the solitude (and backyard range); don't miss the power outages (trees fall....a lot...across power lines) and mowing/yard-work. YMMV.... 

Doug, glad to hear you're getting settled in in a nice home. As for the fiber optics, it takes a while. Finally got it out my way a few months ago, took about a couple of yrs. after I signed up to get it installed. Worth the wait, Verizon wireless sucks. The local electric utility co. got a grant to out it in Trousdale Co.

Good luck buddy........

• Like 1
19 hours ago, QuackerSmacker said:

So Doug, Super Congrats!  And what does Darby have to say about life in the country?

She is adjusting well and so far has got to chase 1 rabbit, 1 Squirrel, 4 turkeys and 3 deer. A doe and 2 fawns. the Turkeys have been back twice. Tommy said there are about 3 different small flocks of them and he has seen 2 different ones at the same time in different parts of the yard.

22 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

Doug, glad to hear you're getting settled in in a nice home. As for the fiber optics, it takes a while. Finally got it out my way a few months ago, took about a couple of yrs. after I signed up to get it installed. Worth the wait, Verizon wireless sucks. The local electric utility co. got a grant to out it in Trousdale Co.

Good luck buddy........

Yea, Tommy said they told him the end of August they will have it this far or farther. I went out to run a few errands and there was a crew working on the side of the road and I stopped and ask them if they were working on Fiber Optics Lines and the forman talked with me and said that by September 30th depending on weather they will have Fiber-Optics in this entire area. I asked him if he knew what servers would be offering service and he said he didn't. They were just contracted to install it. He said the servers will be contacting folks as they get closer to completing the installation of the lines.

19 hours ago, Quavodus said:

Glad your settled. I hate moving so much. As far as tv why don't you try a Roku. Cheap and theres lots of free channels on it.

I have no clue what Roku is. I don't keep up with all the new stuff being offered. I'm not really an electrnoic guru about all the stuff offer these days. I have two indoor  antennas I was using in the last place and on a good clear day I can get a few channels really clear. Channel 2, MeTv, Justice channels come in well on Living room Tv and Bedroom Tv gets ION really good as long as there is no rain between here and Franklin and I am happy with ION to watch at night before bed. Tommy said we can look at an out door antenna being moved from his house to mine and me trying it out. He said he didn't get but a few channels when they used it but he also lives in a house surrounded by huge trees and my back yard which is also the direction of most broadcasting towers are in is all open and has no trees. He said they don't watch TV anyway so he will try and get it moved this weekend to back of my house. I guess we will see if that works. It is suppose to pick up stations 150 miles away with a clear view and no trees.