[COWBOY GUNS] Blackhawk vs. Vaquero?

DaveTN

I have been kicking around the idea of a cowboy gun. I’ve never been a fan of single action and never owned one. It might be time for me to give it a try.

I buy American made when I can. Besides the Colt, is the Ruger Vaquero the only American Made? At $1800 the Colt is out of the question. Looks like a new Vaquero would be $633 plus a transfer. A comparable Uberti is $453.20 plus a transfer. Other than being made here is a Vaquero worth $180 more?

It appears Taylor and Cimarron are just importers for Uberti, is that correct?

This will be a range toy; it won’t be used for home defense or cowboy action shooting (right now).

I’d like to hear your opinions on these, or maybe I should be looking at others?

Thanks

EDIT:

I was going to start another thread, but I'll just add to this....

I’ve never been a fan of single action revolvers, but I don’t have a “Cowboy” gun and have been kicking around the idea. I do not want to spend the money on a Colt. It would be a range toy and I’m looking at used guns in the ~$500 range.

I have never owned either, but I see a lot of Ruger owners claiming the Blackhawk is a sturdier gun than the Vaquero.  Is it?

Best I can tell is the Blackhawk has adjustable sights. That’s an obvious advantage, but of course Cowboys didn’t have adjustable sights. I doubt I would ever get into Cowboy Action Shooting, but do they allow adjustable sights? Can you use a Blackhawk there?

What say you?

Pictures would be great and also pictures of Cowboy leather if you have that.

Edited by DaveTN

As a range toy, I'd go with the Uberti.  I don't know about Taylor but from what I understand is that a Cimarron is just a Uberti with a Cimarron roll stamp ( kind of like buying a black powder revolver from Cabelas and having their name on it). 

The Ruger may or may not have it's own problem depending on your requirements.  They are known for having tight, or not uniform cylinder throats which may cause accuracy problems.  I'm not that picky and am quite satisfied with my factory Vaquero and Blackhawk.

• Like 1

I have Ubertis and have no probs with them. They are well made. I bought an Uberti because Colts were expensive and hard to find. I've always been a cowboy and had to have at least a pistol and rifle in my collection... both 45LC

007.JPG

• Like 2

The now defunct USFA made a fine replica of a Colt's SAA. Many of it's employees now work at Standard MFG. You won't like either's prices, but they are first rat, quality arms.

You can't go wrong with Colt. I own a few, and you won't be sorry making the investment. If you want to go cheap, buy a Heritage. If you want quality, bite the bullet and buy a Colt, USFA, ot Standard MFG. If you want one that sorta looks like an SAA, buy a Ruger.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

The now defunct USFA made a fine replica of a Colt's SAA. Many of it's employees now work at Standard MFG. You won't like either's prices, but they are first rate, quality arms.

You can't go wrong with Colt. I own a few, and you won't be sorry making the investment. If you want to go cheap, buy a Heritage. If you want quality, bite the bullet and buy a Colt, USFA, ot Standard MFG. If you want one that sorta looks like an SAA, buy a Ruger.

This  👆🏻

Quite a few companies, Cimmeron, Navy Arms, Taylors and a few I can't remember are just Ubertis made to the seller's specifications. And those specs are usually just the quality of the finish. I used to have a Hombre model which is Uberti's cheapest. Just as good as any of the higher priced models, but with a very plain matte black finish. You can generally find these for right around $400.  For just a range toy, this would be a good start.  ;)

Ruger makes excellent single actions, but they aren't quite the real cowboy gun. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Grayfox54 said:

Quite a few companies, Cimmeron, Navy Arms, Taylors and a few I can't remember are just Ubertis made to the seller's specifications. And those specs are usually just the quality of the finish. I used to have a Hombre model which is Uberti's cheapest. Just as good as any of the higher priced models, but with a very plain matte black finish. You can generally find these for right around $400.  For just a range toy, this would be a good start.  ;)

Ruger makes excellent single actions, but they aren't quite the real cowboy gun. :rolleyes:

Works for me...I'm not quite the real cowboy either. 😉

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, hipower said:

What caliber are you interested in? I have a bil with some Colt Commeratives he says he wants to sell.

I actually like the Ruger option. Have a New Vaquero in 45acp. It's a hoot!

.357. But I’m not looking for some high dollar collectable. I’m looking at guns in the ~450-600 range. As I said this will be a range toy and get shot. Until I get tired of it. I’ll probably go with a new Vaquero.

I've got both Uberti and a Gen2 Colt.  The Colt is a hair nicer and smoother.  The newer Colt Cowboy doesn't seem as smooth or nicely made as my Uberti. For a range toy, go with the Uberti.  You can buy a very nice holster, outfit, and ammo  for the price difference!

I have Uberti and Vaqueros and am pleased with both.  I intend to pick up a Heritage Big Bore in .357.  I have been hearing good things about them and they are built much stronger than the Heritage .22s

3 hours ago, DaveTN said:

.357. But I’m not looking for some high dollar collectable. I’m looking at guns in the ~450-600 range. As I said this will be a range toy and get shot. Until I get tired of it. I’ll probably go with a new Vaquero.

I'm in the same boat.  I have no use for a single action revolver, until I watch another Western, then I have to have one again.  The 4 &5/8 Rugers and 4.75 other brands with the barrel and ejector rod shroud flush just do something to me.  I'm leaning toward a Ruger because of the transfer bar and ability to safely carry six, but there's something about the three or four clicks of the non-transfer bars guns that's just music to the ears.  

For true nostalgia, a .45 Colt is the way to go, but I want a shooter and I can load .38s cheap.

Edited by deerslayer

Cowboy pistols also shot  black powder back in the day.  The smell and smoke of bp is part of the experience. Can also shoot it in your 45 Colt lever gun, have to have the pair for the real experience!

• 1 month later...

I’ve never been a fan of single action revolvers, but I don’t have a “Cowboy” gun and have been kicking around the idea. I do not want to spend the money on a Colt. It would be a range toy and I’m looking at used guns in the ~$500 range.

I have never owned either, but I see a lot of Ruger owners claiming the Blackhawk is a sturdier gun than the Vaquero.  Is it?

Best I can tell is the Blackhawk has adjustable sights. That’s an obvious advantage, but of course Cowboys didn’t have adjustable sights. I doubt I would ever get into Cowboy Action Shooting, but do they allow adjustable sights? Can you use a Blackhawk there?

What say you?

Pictures would be great and also pictures of Cowboy leather if you have that.

I've always had problems shooting the traditional Colt style single actions. They just don't fit my slightly arthritic hands and the trigger guard beats hell outta my middle finger knuckle. I just can't shoot one worth a hoot . :shake:   But like you, I occasionally get the urge for a Cowboy gun. I've owned about a half dozen Colt style or Ruger single actions over the years and ended up selling them all.  

Try thinking outside the box. I found this a few years ago. A true cowboy gun that fits me much better and the only single action I currently own. Its a bit above your price range, but its a keeper.  :D

Navy Arms (Uberti) Schofield

9CUJgIz.jpg

• Like 3

I've been a handgunner for over sixty-five years, and during that time I've tried just about every kind of handgun available.  I've has Colts, Rugers, Smith & Wessons, and Ubertis.  For my preferences, prefer the Colt New Frontier when I have the wherewithal, next a Ruger Blackhawk.  I've had the Smith Model 28 and Model 29, Colt Python, etc.  I have recently settled on the Ruger Blackhawk, not only for range/hunting use, but for protecting my hide.  I carry a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt almost daily.  My everyday companion is a .45 in a Mike Barranti holster.

100_0486_zpsofnd0b5y.jpg

Bob Wright

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

I have a Bisley Vaquero in .357 magnum.  I like the Bisley because the hammer spur is lowered so you don't have to reach for it with your thumb. It also has a widened trigger.  The sights are not adjustable but how often do you adjust the sights on your handgun? 

The fixed sights are dead on.  I used it to win the company pistol shoot a few yeas ago.  You can shot hot .357 loads until the gun is too hot to reload.  You can iron your shirts with it while you wait for it to cool down.  What ever single action you decide on, you are going to love it. I like to put on my Stetson and my Old El Paso Cheyanne rig and run around the house in my underwear going "Yippi Ki aye Ki Yaye!"🤪 

• Haha 3
10 hours ago, Will Carry said:

I have a Bisley Vaquero in .357 magnum.  I like the Bisley because the hammer spur is lowered so you don't have to reach for it with your thumb. It also has a widened trigger.  The sights are not adjustable but how often do you adjust the sights on your handgun? 

The fixed sights are dead on.  I used it to win the company pistol shoot a few yeas ago.  You can shot hot .357 loads until the gun is too hot to reload.  You can iron your shirts with it while you wait for it to cool down.  What ever single action you decide on, you are going to love it. I like to put on my Stetson and my Old El Paso Cheyanne rig and run around the house in my underwear going "Yippi Ki aye Ki Yaye!"🤪 

Make it stop! May it stop! 😳🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1