The new fastest police cruiser is....

An Explorer (or any SUV) as a pursuit vehicle? No thank you.

I remember watching a TV show where they had a competition between 3 vehicles for the best Police Vehicle. One of them you could open the back doors and wash it out with a hose. As a former cop, I was like Heck Yes!, that鈥檚 what I鈥檓 talking about.聽:woohoo:

52 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

An Explorer (or any SUV) as a pursuit vehicle? No thank you.

I remember watching a TV show where they had a competition between 3 vehicles for the best Police Vehicle. One of them you could open the back doors and wash it out with a hose. As a former cop, I was like Heck Yes!, that鈥檚 what I鈥檓 talking about.聽:woohoo:

I'm sure that would be great for rinsing out the various fluids and solids nasty ass people leave behind.

• Like 1

"Coptimus Prime" LOL

I remember CHP (CA) had a super charged 5.0 in the late 80's early 90's that ran in no mans land somewhere between Bakersfield and Fresno. I never had the pleasure of attracting it's attention but heard the thing was ridiculous (for it's time).

A , uhhh, friend managed to outrun and loose a late night speed trap on an AZ highway once a long time ago when he was young and very dumb. Don't recall the make and model, but it was a sedan cruiser. That 87 Shelby GLHS is missed. So dumb.

Oh how I remember the cussin' and fussin' of cops everywhere when Ford discontinued the Crown Victoria. It was the best police car of all time.聽:up:聽Never could figure out why Ford would do such a stupid thing. They had guaranteed sales,聽 PDs everywhere just loved 'em. Why oh why?聽:confused:

I also remember our聽change over to the Dodge Charger. Everybody hated them. Senior officers would pull rank and keep their CVs for as long as possible. Junior officers highly resented being stuck with a聽 POS Dodge.聽

I have noticed since retiring that our PD is going more and more to the Ford SUVs. Maybe not the fastest thing or best pursuit vehicle. But as its long been said: ya can't outrun that radio.聽;)

14 minutes ago, martin5 said:

I out ran the radio onc, but my neighbors told on me.

Did not stay on the highway. 2am, zero traffic. Lucky to have a bright full moon that night. I shut off lights and had installed a brake light kill switch. I was already hauling butt so I had a heck of a jump on him/her. Blacked out I ran several miles flat out and let the turbo, injectors and tune do their job. No idea the actual speed but in excess of 150. Got off the highway, back tracked on a frontage road and then headed WAY around the scene. I knew that the BP check point 40 or so miles ahead on the highway would have been called. The tiny town that AZHP had to have been out of probably had 2 out that night. Lucky again I didn't find the other.

So dumb. Never tried that again.

52 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Oh how I remember the cussin' and fussin' of cops everywhere when Ford discontinued the Crown Victoria. It was the best police car of all time.聽:up:聽Never could figure out why Ford would do such a stupid thing. They had guaranteed sales,聽 PDs everywhere just loved 'em. Why oh why?聽:confused:

I also remember our聽change over to the Dodge Charger. Everybody hated them. Senior officers would pull rank and keep their CVs for as long as possible. Junior officers highly resented being stuck with a聽 POS Dodge.聽

I have noticed since retiring that our PD is going more and more to the Ford SUVs. Maybe not the fastest thing or best pursuit vehicle. But as its long been said: ya can't outrun that radio.聽;)

What was the issue with the Chargers?

A little story for y'all. Back around 2006, my wife was in desperate need of a new car. She was disabled, so that ruled out any kind of compact right off the bat. She needed a full size sedan just to make getting in and out easier. I was working for the city and as such had an intimate relationship with our Police Crown Vics. I tried my best to talk her into one knowing full well it would be ideal for her. She liked the car but balked at the idea of driving around in a cop car.聽:shake:

So I did a little shopping around and she ended up buying a very nice, low mileage 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis.聽:D聽She absolutely loved that car! Like I said, she was disabled, so she didn't really drive it all that much. I still own that car today and do drive it from time to time. Its 15 years old now and has a whopping 67,000 miles on it. I doubt I'll ever sell it. Its just too good to let go of.聽:D

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, I40Bandit said:

What was the issue with the Chargers?

Ok, this is just my opinion. But its based on 42 years as a mechanic. Chrysler is nothing but junk!聽

The officers didn't like them because they felt uncomfortable and cramped. An 8 hour shift in these things wasn't very inviting. The interior was just poorly laid out. Of course they were used to a nice roomy Crown Vic.聽聽:rolleyes:

One of the main issues with the Chargers was the brakes. They couldn't hold up to police service. We were replacing them every 4000 to 8000 miles. I remember one time when I just happened to be at the scene of an accident before the Police arrived. This Charger Patrol car came screaming in Code 3. Lights, siren and running full tilt. When he got stopped, the brakes were smoking so bad that I聽quit what I was doing and ran聽over to make sure the car wasn't on fire!聽:eek:

Don't even get me started on the electrical system. What a nightmare!聽:wall:聽聽

And finally, seems like pretty much every piece of the plastic interior was prone to breakage.聽:mad:

How Dodge ever managed to sell these things as Police cars is way beyond me.聽:shrug:

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Ok, this is just my opinion. But its based on 42 years as a mechanic. Chrysler is nothing but junk!聽

The officers didn't like them because they felt uncomfortable and cramped. An 8 hour shift in these things wasn't very inviting. The interior was just poorly laid out. Of course they were used to a nice roomy Crown Vic.聽聽:rolleyes:

One of the main issues with the Chargers was the brakes. They couldn't hold up to police service. We were replacing them every 4000 to 8000 miles. I remember one time when I just happened to be at the scene of an accident before the Police arrived. This Charger Patrol car came screaming in Code 3. Lights, siren and running full tilt. When he got stopped, the brakes were smoking so bad that I聽quit what I was doing and ran聽over to make sure the car wasn't on fire!聽:eek:

Don't even get me started on the electrical system. What a nightmare!聽:wall:聽聽

And finally, seems like pretty much every piece of the plastic interior was prone to breakage.聽:mad:

How Dodge ever managed to sell these things as Police cars is way beyond me.聽:shrug:

I whole heartedly agree with the Chrysler is junk statement. I owned a few that were built at what I thought was the height of their crappiness, late 80's early-mid 90's. My daughters 300M has been a nightmare.

Were they running stock brakes? No upgrade package on the police line, or was that their 'upgrade' package? I can see them not being the best thing to sit in for 8hr every day.

Electrical on all the manufactures is goofy. I'm looking hard at you one eye'd Chevys. Don't laugh Ford, I've ripped your nervous system out of my truck and put in a Rebel harness..... I like my tail lights to function and all it requires is a dedicated ground wire....cheap fools.

This was back when Chargers were first being offered as Police cars. The brakes were pretty much standard. Dodge has since made some major upgrades on their brakes, but it still ain't up to snuff for police work.聽

With the help of NAPA we were able to get some hard metallic brake pads that almost doubled brake life, but the trade off was that they were hard on rotors.聽

I鈥檝e never owned a molar car but have had 3 Dakotas and a ram cummins. All with straight shifts. That does away with crappy automatic transmissions. I worked at a Chevy store for 17 years had 2 chevys in that time. I鈥檝e never had any issues with my dodges.