Are zombies still relevant?

With the Walking Dead comic series over and done I assume the show will wrap up within a few seasons.  Having taken some time to think back on all of the zombie culture I realized that the most of the show and comic no longer actually revolves around the threat of the zombies themselves (been that way for a while.)

I enjoyed my time with it and it helped spark plenty of critical thinking when it comes to preparedness but I find myself looking for something different to put in its place. 

What say you? Is the undead phenomenon still alive and well?

I think like everything in culture cycles, it along with all the prep shows have faded. The general public is fickle. Things in media unfortunately bend to that fickleness to keep ratings.

That being said, those that really pay attention know that not being prepared for natural and man-made disasters is playing Russian roulette. Zombies are cool, but I don't see having to fight off the living dead any time soon.

28 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

As someone who generally enjoys the TV series, but has never seen the comic books, when did they stop issuing them?

I thought the comic was ongoing..

Wrong. It has ended. Looks like this week. 

I always equated zombies with the general public. Especially average city dwellers. When I go to the city I see a lot a parallels in behavior. Generally unaware unless something they want catches their attention. Herding together. Unable to hold an intelligible conversation.

I always equated zombies with the general public. 

That's my perception as well, with the assumption of the mass becoming agitated and forcefully getting what they want in the event of a man made or natural disaster.

I watched a few episodes of TWD, zombie genre is low on fiction interest list.

TWD does have my preferred zombie type. Slower, fooled by camouflage and bait and packed tight should make for easier head shots.

Those World War Z zombies are down right terrifying.

Has Elon's civilian flame thrower made it into any current zombie medium?

That would be an effective platform.

• Moderators

I always viewed the zombie craze as a symptom of the growing unease of people with the world around them. I think folks could feel that things were getting sketchy and zombies were a stand in for the public at large. I think the zombie craze really took hold in the gun community because folks used zombies as a way to train themselves to shoot at human shapes targets without admitting to themselves or sometimes others what was really going on. 

12 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I always viewed the zombie craze as a symptom of the growing unease of people with the world around them. I think folks could feel that things were getting sketchy and zombies were a stand in for the public at large. I think the zombie craze really took hold in the gun community because folks used zombies as a way to train themselves to shoot at human shapes targets without admitting to themselves or sometimes others what was really going on. 

Spot on there I think. I just wonder if that has/could have a negative effect on some by removing the weight of having to make that decision by removing the reality of it. I know most of us on here get it but I’ve talked to some who seemed awfully trigger happy and ready for that “Zombie “ Apocalypse to happen. 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Never easy to take any life. I put up pigs and chickens every year and it's never fun or easy, certainly don't come away with a smile. Fools and psychos think/feel that way. I don't hunt trophies. Never got into the zombie craze, just drew some parallels. Never even shot at a zombie target, just a standard outline, and even then only a few times. I'll kill the devil outta paper plates though.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, A.J. Holst said:

Those World War Z zombies are down right terrifying.

Has Elon's civilian flame thrower made it into any current zombie medium?

That would be an effective platform.

Branch out into the infected humans in 28 days Later and it just gets worse. Sure body shots kill them, but they still have a level of itelligence and are fast to boot. Plus even body fluids can infect you. 

I have seen flamethrower used in movies and always think what else would they set on fire ambling around until their brains fry.

I like the World War Z book where they use incendiary rounds and headshots to kill off the hordes. Fry their brain instantaneously. 

• Like 1

The whole zombie thing has always been a metaphor for a sudden collapse of civilization and finding yourself on your own, forced to fight to survive. While the zombie threat may be fiction, it does make people think about what could happen in our society if the S was to ever  HTF. 

Zombies aren't real. But everyday we are surrounded by the mindless masses who would very dangerously panic in a real crisis. 

• Like 7
  • 10 months later...
2 hours ago, Socially Distant said:

Mindless, unthinking, unaware of their surroundings zombies are very real.

They are called Liberals.

And if you add to that those who randomly spread a deadly virus because their too stupid to follow safe practices  you've you have a nice little deadly package.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2019 at 8:42 PM, maroonandwhite said:

With the Walking Dead comic series over and done I assume the show will wrap up within a few seasons.  Having taken some time to think back on all of the zombie culture I realized that the most of the show and comic no longer actually revolves around the threat of the zombies themselves (been that way for a while.)

I enjoyed my time with it and it helped spark plenty of critical thinking when it comes to preparedness but I find myself looking for something different to put in its place. 

What say you? Is the undead phenomenon still alive and well?

The recent rioting and civil unrest has me thinking back to the days of when prepping for the "zombie apocalypse" was in vogue. The walking dead and a lot of media really helped to spur that on an imaginative level I would think. With the recent corona scare, whether it was legitimate or not, caused a lot of panic among the general populace leading to shortages in everything from toilet paper to batteries in some places. For myself, and many of my good friends, prepping has come back to the front of my mind. Generally speaking, as long as you have the unprepared, the opportunistic, and the interspecies preditor (which will be always) the metaphorical "zombie apocalypse" will always be real. I think that your question has become very relevant recently.

On 7/6/2019 at 9:00 PM, RED333 said:

Zombies are not real, Zambies are another thing, you know the ones that car jack, B&E, push drugs, you know the kind.

The Demteefas are zombies. They just eat tide pods instead of brains. Here are some of my Zombiemax hand loads. I'm thinking they wouldn't be wasted on today's zombies. :) 

Zombiemax.jpg

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 4