FTF Sale

Question.... being new to TN, I'd like to clarify something when selling firearms face to face... for my knowledge as well as others new to the state.

In NJ, we had all kinds of crazy rules so being here and already have purchased several 'new' guns from dealers, what exactly is required for a face to face sale?

Rifles and Shotguns.... Pistols: ......? All personal sales require this form as well as proper ID?

I've seen posted elsewhere that there is a form for face to face sales which is 4 pages called the TN Firearm Bill of Sale. Everything on the form seems pretty rudimentary but does every sale require a Notary ???

Here is a link to an editable pdf form: https://eforms.com/download/2015/12/tennessee-firearm-bill-of-sale.pdf

Thanks in advance....

No bill of sale is required. Some of us do it because we want to.

You are required to know that the person is a resident of this state and of age. Since you have no way of doing a background check the requirement is that you can’t sell to them if you know, or should have known the person is prohibited from purchasing.

I require a bill of sale, I don't require an HCP. It is a simple BOS with both our names, a phone number, and a statement that you are not a prohibited person, it doesn’t even have an address. I have it to cover my butt if someone I sell to is lying.

I also have a C&R, so I can’t sell to anyone under 21.

You always need to make it clear in the ad if you are going to require a BOS; some will not buy from you if you require that. I require a simple BOS, but that BOS you linked is ridiculous. :) You aren’t getting all that information from me; you don’t need it.

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 4

The only thing that is required, is for you to not have a reasonable belief that the person purchasing the firearm is a prohibited person.  Aside from that it will depend on the persons you are dealing with.  Some want a bill of sale, or TN HCP, or just a DL.  

Edited by ZDBakker
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

No bill of sale is required. Some of us do it because we want to.

You are required to know that the person is a resident of this state and of age. Since you have no way of doing a background check the requirement is that you can’t sell to them if you know, or should have known the person is prohibited from purchasing.

Forgot about residence and age.  Good call.

• Like 1

OK, so it sounds to me that the form I included above makes a good all around form. Can even be edited with your computer. Just leave out the Notary stuff. This is good because I usually have some filled out and on file in case of a sale... I previously had my own I created from a NJ COE... but this works better. Thanks again!!! 😀

• Like 1
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, DaveTN said:

This is the BOS I use. But all that matters is you are happy and the person meeting you knows what you are going to require from them in advance.

sqNfvQy.jpg

Quoting to emphasize the bolded bit. I’m generally opposed to a BOS, but were I a buyer, I’d be ok with signing the BOS @DaveTN posted. The one you have, I wouldn’t. I’m ok with giving someone a name and phone number, even showing them ID/HCP to prove residency. I’m not ok with giving someone my DL#, address, and pretty much all the info needed for identity theft. 

You have the right to ask for whatever information you wish to feel comfortable making a sale, but the buyer can also decline to provide it so it’s wise to make sure everyone is on the same page prior to agreeing to a sale and meeting up. 

• Like 3

I always post "ID / BoS"

Pretty sure this eliminates most of non-qualified owners from inquiring.

A stranger, yep, let's see valid TN ID and sign.

Well known to me or someone on TGO, if you want to, sure, if you want to opt out, sure.

• Like 2

I always require a BOS and proper ID to buy or sell. This is simple CYA. These days you can't be too careful. Its always best to know where the gun came from or who it went to just in case LE should ever come around asking questions. Ya never know. :shrug:

• Like 1

I can care less about having the info in my file with your personal details. The short form above is fine by me as long as I can ID who you are via DL or CCW... I am concerned who the weapon is going too though. All my weapons I have for sale here have been purchased legally in the state on NJ. In NJ all pistols are registered. All weapons including rifle and sg require a firearms ID card. Everything gets several nics checks...
When I sell or even give away a gun, I want the thing to be no longer attached to my name. You do something stupid with it, my paper trail will break anything leading to me. I did this even with my boy when he came back from being deployed in Okinawa. I trust him profusely, but I said to him, you decide to do something stupid in life, it will be on you. Sign here. He understood... No problem.

So it's not personal. It's a precaution. That's all. You are right. Today's day and age, you must at all turns, CYA! ;)

17 hours ago, BHunted said:

I can care less about having the info in my file with your personal details. The short form above is fine by me as long as I can ID who you are via DL or CCW... I am concerned who the weapon is going too though. All my weapons I have for sale here have been purchased legally in the state on NJ. In NJ all pistols are registered. All weapons including rifle and sg require a firearms ID card. Everything gets several nics checks...
When I sell or even give away a gun, I want the thing to be no longer attached to my name. You do something stupid with it, my paper trail will break anything leading to me. I did this even with my boy when he came back from being deployed in Okinawa. I trust him profusely, but I said to him, you decide to do something stupid in life, it will be on you. Sign here. He understood... No problem.

So it's not personal. It's a precaution. That's all. You are right. Today's day and age, you must at all turns, CYA! ;)

Not even that. It could be stolen from the person you (rightfully) trust, and then used for all manner of stupidity.

5 hours ago, TomInMN said:

Not even that. It could be stolen from the person you (rightfully) trust, and then used for all manner of stupidity.

Yep

18 hours ago, mikegideon said:

The state of NJ needs a high pressure Hoppe's No. 9 enema.

Oh you have no idea... It's even worse now than before I left. With everything anti-gun, high taxes and dumb laws, you'd think the state would be a ghost town... People are leaving in droves of 10,000 a pop. Screw em. We tried to rectify it by voting out the demtards, but it was a useless endeavor. They'll learn the hard way.

11 minutes ago, BHunted said:

Yep

Oh you have no idea... It's even worse now than before I left. With everything anti-gun, high taxes and dumb laws, you'd think the state would be a ghost town... People are leaving in droves of 10,000 a pop. Screw em. We tried to rectify it by voting out the demtards, but it was a useless endeavor. They'll learn the hard way.

A gun owner's nightmare (aka Democrat utopia). 

• Like 1