Beretta PX4 Storm SubCompact - the ethereal carry gun

Mamba

Yes, I bought one... it is in transit. I ran a few searches here and found very little discussion on the PX4 series; I wasn't surprised. The PX4 in general seems to be overlooked in the tumultuous cloud of handgun discussions, being out-shined by it's 92 and Nano relatives.
I've always been a bit of a rebel. I bought a Walther CCP when everyone hated them (or loved them... no in-between) and have no regrets. So when I was looking around for a small hi-cap DA/SA CC gun that had serious rep & quality behind it I was a bit shocked to discover the PX4 SC. I've mainly been a "Glock Guy", the wife and I have owned several over the years. But awhile back I handed down my only DA/SA firearm (a Bersa Pro UC 9) and discovered that I miss it....very reliable and accurate but a bit larger than I wanted (more G19 sized) for CC. The PX4 SC is "baby Glock" sized, tho' more rounds and a different action.  Yes I know it's "chubby"...so is a G26....I have one. I tested out a rental FS PX4 at the range and was happy with the result. I think I'll be even happier with the SC version, "bat wings" and all. We shall see.

• 2 months later...

Been a few months, and a few minor travails...
The Storm had FTE issues out of the box and later on after cleaning, so I sent it back to Beretta to check out. They adjusted the extractor, tested (26rds worth), and returned it. Took a bit more "exercise" at the range, and some filing touch-up by me on the back rail-embeds but all good now. This Storm doesn't like wimpy loads (has a heavy recoil spring) tho' it's totally reliable with my usual Speer diet (124gr Lawman and GoldDot). Still get'n used to the DA/SA trigger action and the wide trigger itself but really love the size, fit, capacity & quality. I swapped out the skin-shredding bat-wing type F levers for the carry type G's, added Talon-style grips and an Olight Valk M2. Nice little CC package that's big enough to handle night-stand duty too.

Beretta PX4 Storm SC

• Like 1

I have 2 px4's,  .40s&w in sc and 9mm compact.  I like them both.  The 40 is extremely accurate for a sc.  I should probably get rid of the bat wings as well.  I also added a mag extension to enable it to accept the compact mags.  Now I can carry 15 as opposed to 11 rounds ( 1 chambered 14 in the mag).

I too had FTE issues at first and sent it back to Beretta 3 times before they figured it out.  I finally sent them a video as to what was happening.  Turned out to be the follower.  They replaced the mags and no issues after that. 

I have a full-sized PX4 9mm which is decent enough.  I converted the safety lever to a decocker-only setup.   The rotating barrel does mitigate recoil noticeably, and you can install a lighter hammer spring to make the DA pull easier.   

I'm with some of you guys, though, I always thought the subcompact version was way too bulky for what it was. 

A Beretta compact I do like very much (for some inexplicable reason) is the 96 Compact.   I bought a 92 Compact later to keep it company but somehow still prefer the .40.    I guess it's because it's scaled down just enough from the full-sized model to make it very handy, yet controllable.

92c3b.jpg

Edited by ken_mays
  • Like 1
On 9/19/2019 at 6:38 PM, Johnny Rotten said:

I have one. I bought it to upgrade my daily carry gun but its never left the house, she's a fat little pig. 

To each their own.
Compared to a G26, for the capacity difference, the size and weight (and action...and rail) is worth it to me. 
https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/glock-g26-gen4-vs-beretta-px4-storm-subcompact

On 9/20/2019 at 10:39 AM, ken_mays said:

I have a full-sized PX4 9mm which is decent enough.  I converted the safety lever to a decocker-only setup.   The rotating barrel does mitigate recoil noticeably, and you can install a lighter hammer spring to make the DA pull easier.   I

I shot a rental FS version at the range before my purchase. Frankly, I don't notice much diff on the recoil with this SC version. My weather vane on that is my wife....she's very recoil sensitive, and she loves shoot'n this SC. Her primary range gun is a Gen 3 G26, and she sees little difference. With "spicy" Speer loads the SC is very low-recoil IMO. Maybe it's the weight or grip design. I've considered changing out that spring but the more it's "broken in" the less I see a need.