Prepper

How many of you have a 2 week supply of food and water on hand in case of an emergency? I was thinking of the Californians and the earth quakes. Should a disaster happen to you, do you have a stash?

I keep about 90 gallons of bottled water and do have a drilled well available(90') which can be drawn from with a well bucket and rope. The water level is within 15' of the top of the casing.聽

Also try to keep a good supply or medications ahead.

I also built a large pantry, for my wife a few years ago, and we store a good supply of canned foods along with pastas and dried beans. Just my wife and I could last for a good while, however never hope to face that problem.

Just wondering do you all have any reserves for a rainy day. By the way, I don't consider myself a prepper in a big way.

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1

Not as prepped as I would like, but then again I never will be. Not going to try to divulge numbers, but yeah I would survive a couple rainy years before getting into MRE's.

Oooo, a shiny new website to check out. Thanks @Ronald_55

I wouldn't call myself a prepper, but I am a camper and have the needed equipment. I learned some valuable lessons back in 2003 when Hurricane Elvis hit my area. I got through it just fine, but many of my neighbors didn't have so much as a mechanical can opener. I was able to learn from their mistakes.聽

If another emergency arises, I'll be just fine for a good, long while.聽聽;)

I don't have a generator. They are a lot of trouble to keep maintained. My friends has some and every time they need one they will not start. Our local hospital had an outage, a while back, and neither of their automatic backups came on line. Go figure! 聽

A lot of people say one needs at least 3 weeks supply of food and water. One guy said the biggest thing would probably be enough toilet paper!!!!

Thanks for the replies. I keep at least聽 3 weeks on hand, have 3 alternate water sources, and have plenty of toilet paper.聽 I think I am good?聽

1 hour ago, pop pop said:

I don't have a generator. They are a lot of trouble to keep maintained. My friends has some and every time they need one they will not start. Our local hospital had an outage, a while back, and neither of their automatic backups came on line. Go figure! 聽

A lot of people say one needs at least 3 weeks supply of food and water. One guy said the biggest thing would probably be enough toilet paper!!!!

Thanks for the replies. I keep at least聽 3 weeks on hand, have 3 alternate water sources, and have plenty of toilet paper.聽 I think I am good?聽

Generators, especially emergency backup ones, need Preventative Maintenence Checks and Services (PMCS)聽 Gas engines need to be run at least once a month for a few minutes, stabil needs to be added to the fuel, even if no聽methanol (prefered) , and fuel should be changed out once a year (some say 6 months) if not used.聽 But converting a personal one to propane will greatly diminish the amount of maintenence required, and is relatively inexpensive to do:

My portable generator runs on propane, is electric-start and the battery is kept charged by a solar trickle charger.聽 I run it every month or so.

My automatic generator runs on natural gas and it exercises itself every Tuesday afternoon.聽 We lost power last month for a few hours, and it started聽delivering power to the whole house after about 35 seconds (10 second delay to avoid dithering and 25 seconds warm-up).