Ehunt

Anybody using 45 Raptor?

Been reading about a wildcat round called 45 Raptor. Basically it's a .308 Winchester case necked up to a .45 cal bullet to use only in an AR-10 (AR-15 can not handle the pressures this makes). It's supposed to deliver about 3,000 ft lbs of muzzle energy. Has anyone tried this cartridge?

Edited by Ehunt

Its been around 5 years and really hasn’t taken off. Its basically a rimless .460 S&W Magnum.

It was touted as a big bore hunting round. It looks to me like it would be a hard hitting hog round, but it wouldn’t have the range of a .308.

It would be expensive to build and shoot (unless you reload). Other than the cool factor; I don’t see what you are getting for your money.

• Like 1

DaveTN, yea you definitely wouldn't have the range. It would be great for Hogs, almost overkill. But I'm thinking it would be great for Bears?

1 hour ago, Ehunt said:

DaveTN, yea you definitely wouldn't have the range. It would be great for Hogs, almost overkill. But I'm thinking it would be great for Bears?

Probably not noticably better than a 308 though, and less versatile. If you want to maximize energy within 50 yards or so, (like for beat hunting) why not go with a 12 ga slug?

I'm not but I'm slowly inching towards building a 375 raptor top end for one of my ar-10's. I want to shoot 350 gr subsonic's because, fun. I think one in a 12" barrel would be awesome for home defense.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 10:30 AM, TomInMN said:

Probably not noticably better than a 308 though, and less versatile. If you want to maximize energy within 50 yards or so, (like for beat hunting) why not go with a 12 ga slug?

12ga would work too. I like the AR platform for this, and I can have many more rounds than a shotgun. If I was to do this build, it would be an AR-10 with a 12.5" barrel.

On 7/10/2019 at 8:56 PM, Mark A said:

I'm not but I'm slowly inching towards building a 375 raptor top end for one of my ar-10's. I want to shoot 350 gr subsonic's because, fun. I think one in a 12" barrel would be awesome for home defense.

I agree, 375 is impressive also!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By reed1285
      Alright, going through a real first-world problem here folks! I am looking at purchasing my first 308 chambered AR rifle in the near future. I am looking to spend around the $1k mark, which obviously limits my choices some. The rifle will be used for hunting and the occasional range session. So far I have looked at these options: PSA Gen 2 build (the cheapest option, so room in the budget for an optic), a Savage MSR 10 Hunter (really like the way this rifle looks), a S&W M&P 10 or M&P 10 Sport, and the Springfield Saint Victor. So far the Springfield I think has the narrow lead over the Savage.
      Just looking for input, let's talk! Any other rifles I should be considering that I haven't listed besides Diamondback?
    • By sawilson005
      Hello to all... I'm new here and have come for a little advice. I'm looking to purchase my first ar15. Probably gonna go the used route. Been looking at a couple different ones, trying to keep it under $550 or so since it's my first and don't want to break the bank starting out. Been looking at a Smith & Wesson M+P 15 sport II, or an ATI AR-15 or Savage MSR-15 Patrol. Any help or advice is appreciated. 
    • By RC3
      It pains me to say this, but I need some help in finding a lever action rifle. I shot my friends marlin 30-30 and for all the #### I have given him over the years for having a "cowboy gun", it sure was a blast. What are some good brands and models and what to stay away from. This is will be a range toy, so .357 or .44 would be cool. .45-70 would be way out there, but looks to be the most fun.

The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines