New pistol ordered

Grunt67

This am, I ordered a new gun I've been wanting for a while. Walther PPS M2 RSMc 9mm. Has  a Shield red dot sight with 4MOA dot. Should be here Thurs. or Fri. Anxious to say the least. Got zeroing to do. Sights co-witness with the iron sights, if needed. The dot stays on all the time & adjusts for light.

We'll see how it goes, will take some getting used to. My old eyes, and tri-focal glasses, will, I think work better than with iron sights.

Ordered from Lebanon Gun Shop, on Hartman Dr.

rmsc.jpg

• Like 9
8 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

Nice, hope it gets you where you want to be on accuracy.

Thanks, that's the plan. The red dot is similar to a crosshair on a scope, only one thing to deal with. It takes some getting used to, as far as picking the dot up. Wearing tri-focal glasses is hard to find that sweet spot of the three. The sweet spot makes me have to tilt my head at an uncomfortable angle. Doable, but slow. Ok for paper, but not so great in a gun fight, too slow.

We'll see how it goes. I'll give a report when I get it zeroed in, and some practice.

1 hour ago, FrankD said:

I am curious how you like that red dot, been thinking about one to get mounted on my shield

Well, so far I like it. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, been too busy with projects on the house. Did get the zero roughed in according to instructions. Anxious to get it fully zeroed & put some rounds down range. I'll let you know how it goes.

Nice. I have a CCP M1. Walther is hard to beat on ergos. Personally I don't see the attraction of RMRs on a CC sized firearm given the extra expense when most DGU's are short-range if not point-blank. But coolness factor?.....heck yah.

22 hours ago, Mamba said:

Nice. I have a CCP M1. Walther is hard to beat on ergos. Personally I don't see the attraction of RMRs on a CC sized firearm given the extra expense when most DGU's are short-range if not point-blank. But coolness factor?.....heck yah.

Cool it may be, but I'm not into cool. My reason has to do with my eyesight. The red dot is easier to deal with, much like a crosshair on a scope. Only one thing to deal with.

Is it for everybody? Not likely, but it's catching on fairly fast in some circles.

Has nothing to do with the red dot, but I'm a diehard Walther fan.

If the RMR helps, then that's great for you. Not for me, due to cost and just one more point of failure (yes co-witness can be a backup but one more confusion factor to deal with when you least need it).  Hope that you enjoy it, and yes, Walther rocks.

14 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

Cool it may be, but I'm not into cool. My reason has to do with my eyesight. The red dot is easier to deal with, much like a crosshair on a scope. Only one thing to deal with.

Is it for everybody? Not likely, but it's catching on fairly fast in some circles.

Has nothing to do with the red dot, but I'm a diehard Walther fan.

They are catching on, especially for us old guys. :) I have a Vortex Venom 3MOA on a fullsize M&P Target gun and a BURRIS FASTFIRE 3 3MOA on a AR Pistol. I haven’t got to use the AR yet, but I took the M&P to the range and like it. I don’t really need sights of any kind on my carry pistols, so I haven’t tried them on any of those.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Mamba said:

If the RMR helps, then that's great for you. Not for me, due to cost and just one more point of failure (yes co-witness can be a backup but one more confusion factor to deal with when you least need it).  Hope that you enjoy it, and yes, Walther rocks.

I considered RMR'ing my Rami P.

Weakening eye sight coupled with a shorter sight radius.

Proven by experienced users to gain faster acquisition and confidently engage at 50+

Cost crushed me. While I am one of the thrifty / budget club, I would only purchase a dot with a proven track record, by people I know.

Those appear to be $450ish+

Plus milling and might as well add any desired 'smithing since you're that far rabbit hole.

In my case, probably $1000 worth of stuff. 

Still on my radar, but I'm probably going over budget on my remodel, so not anytime soon.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

They are catching on, especially for us old guys. :) I have a Vortex Venom 3MOA on a fullsize M&P Target gun and a BURRIS FASTFIRE 3 3MOA on a AR Pistol. I haven’t got to use the AR yet, but I took the M&P to the range and like it. I don’t really need sights of any kind on my carry pistols, so I haven’t tried them on any of those.

Dave,

I've got a FF 3 on my Sport 2, ran it through a rifle class, for PDW ranges, I think you'll be pleased.

I also have their mount, very impressed with quality.

• Administrator
On 7/16/2019 at 9:12 PM, hipower said:

All this talk is making me want to try the RMR thing again. Still have my G35 or the Canik to try them on. Thinking the Canik might be the way I go. It just holds so much more comfortably than the Glock.

I was honestly very impressed with the Canik TP9 Elite Combat that I played with at NRAAM in Indianapolis.  I know some people get wrapped up with the fact that it's made by the Turks, but the Turks know how to make some nice firearms.  Besides, if the fact that the founder of Kahr was involved in the Unification Church (moonies) didn't bother people, the Turks being Muslim shouldn't bother anyone either.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, TGO David said:

I was honestly very impressed with the Canik TP9 Elite Combat that I played with at NRAAM in Indianapolis.  I know some people get wrapped up with the fact that it's made by the Turks, but the Turks know how to make some nice firearms.  Besides, if the fact that the founder of Kahr was involved in the Unification Church (moonies) didn't bother people, the Turks being Muslim shouldn't bother anyone either.

I put a holosun 507C on my TP9SFX and it is a great combo.  I am cross eye dominant and I have found that the dot is easier to work than irons with my non-typical setup.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, FrankD said:

I put a holosun 507C on my TP9SFX and it is a great combo.  I am cross eye dominant and I have found that the dot is easier to work than irons with my non-typical setup.

That's my choice, I think. And since I have one lying around doing nothing...

3 hours ago, TGO David said:

I am quickly progressing to to point where I wouldn't have a carry gun that I couldn't put a red dot sight on.

Starts gun forum, 8000 posts, numerous builds, started EDC with an SAA...might know a thing or two...

• Like 1
  • Administrator
On 7/20/2019 at 12:56 PM, A.J. Holst said:

Starts gun forum, 8000 posts, numerous builds, started EDC with an SAA...might know a thing or two...

Eh, this whole thing is a journey.  Never a destination. :)

• Like 3
On 7/20/2019 at 9:05 AM, TGO David said:

I am quickly progressing to to point where I wouldn't have a carry gun that I couldn't put a red dot sight on.

after one range trip with the dot I am sold for all purposes.  The main reason I am really interested in this optic is the ability to mount it on a single stack as my primary carry is a shield 9.  

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, FrankD said:

after one range trip with the dot I am sold for all purposes.  The main reason I am really interested in this optic is the ability to mount it on a single stack as my primary carry is a shield 9.  

A couple questions please.

Can you be specific on what Red Dot you have, and mounting on a Shield? How will you be doing this?

This is going to be confusing as the names overlap.  The shield RMSc (optic that comes on OPs walther) is narrow enough to fit onto a single stack 9mm (Like my S&W Shield or a Glock 43).  I am waiting to hear some reviews on the optic before spending the cash on it.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, FrankD said:

This is going to be confusing as the names overlap.  The shield RMSc (optic that comes on OPs walther) is narrow enough to fit onto a single stack 9mm (Like my S&W Shield or a Glock 43).  I am waiting to hear some reviews on the optic before spending the cash on it.

How does it mount on a Shield?