New pistol ordered

Grunt67

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

How does it mount on a Shield?

S&W is coming out with the Shield with the red dot already mounted. Other Shields will have to have the slide milled to accept to red dot. Not sure when they will hit shelves, might be something to check into if you leaning that direction.

Still haven't got to sight mine in yet, too many other issues taking priority. I'll post the results/opinion when I get 'er done.

Sorry, NickinTn. didn't mean to step on your post. It came up while I was typing.

Edited by Grunt67

I have too many Shields now to be buying another one. A long story for another time. Milling the slide on one? Not sure I would go to that expense on a Shield

I'm not sure of this concept. For my purposes, the Shield is a close range weapon. I have trouble seeing the need for an rmr on it. But that's just me. 

Guess I'll have to adopt a wait and see mode for this one.

Now on a little bigger frame, say the 43x, or a bit larger, yes. I see that as a range aid, and for defensive purposes at longer distances. But if we have accepted the thought that most defensive situations needing a handgun will be within 20-25 feet; does that really allow time for a red dot sight?

That situation is where I see the use of a laser system.

Again, JMO.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

I think that Primarymachine is doing the mill, and I'm sure there must be others.

I believe that RDS on handgun will become ubiquitous in the relatively near future, just as they have on rifles and carbines. The amount of research, development and competition in this area is incredible. The greatest challenges seem to be coupling durability, battery life and ease of battery change at this point. A wider field of view should become a reality too as things develop.

I believe that the utility has already been demonstrated. Instead of having to have a hard focus on the front sight, the shifting of focus from the target (threat) and back to the sight before breaking the shot ( it's only milliseconds I know) the RDS allows us to focus on the target/threat and know we can break that shot when the dot appears. This was a "lightbulb moment" for me LOL. So, to me at least, this means the RDS system is just as viable up close and fast, and they markedly improve my accuracy at distance where you would have the luxury of time in sight acquisition.

In my experience the S&W Shield, Glock 43, PPS, and similar sized pistols are capable of very good accuracy at extended distances... the standard iron sights just aren't as conducive to such...at least to my aging eyes.

Lasers offer similar capabilities, but from limited experience can easily "wash out" in bright outdoor lighting. YMMV 

I am not in any way being argumentative nor dismissive of what @hipower is saying, and I admit "learning" a Red Dot initially takes a bit of practice (Dry fire is your/my friend :) )... but so did initially learning to use iron sights. And I agree, most defensive use is definitely relatively close. But having the ability to engage the most statistically probable event plus the outlier like an active shooter event can't be a "bad thing" in this day and age.

My apologies for the drift/tangent. I'm looking forward to what develops and look forward to hearing of others experiences. 

Edited by Jamie Jackson
spelling
  • Like 3
9 hours ago, hipower said:

I'm not sure of this concept. For my purposes, the Shield is a close range weapon. I have trouble seeing the need for an rmr on it. But that's just me. 

And me.

I like red dots, but I wouldn't expect to have time to mess with turning it on or needing a sight in the type of shooting I would be doing with my Shield. But absolutely, to each his own. S&W already has Shields out with red dots mounted. So I would guess they will offer them Optics Ready or C.O.R.E. Probably be cheaper to sell yours and buy one with the cutout than have a slide milled.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

I think that Primarymachine is doing the mill, and I'm sure there must be others.

I believe that RDS on handgun will become ubiquitous in the relatively near future, just as they have on rifles and carbines. The amount of research, development and competition in this area is incredible. The greatest challenges seem to be coupling durability, battery life, and ease of battery change at this point. A wider field of view should become a reality to as things develop.

I believe that the utility has already been demonstrated. Instead of having to have a hard focus on the front sight, the shifting of focus from the target (threat) and back to the sight before breaking the shot ( it's only milliseconds I know) the RDS allows us to focus on the target/threat and know we can break that shot when the dot appears. This was a "lightbulb moment" for meLOL. So, to me at least, this means the RDS system is just as viable up close and fast, and they markedly improve my accuracy at distance where you would have the luxury of time in sight acquisition.

In my experience the S&W Shield, Glock 43, PPS, and similar sized pistols are capable of very good accuracy at extended distances... the standard iron sights just aren't as conducive to such...at least to my aging eyes.

Lasers offer similar capabilities, but from limited experience can easily "wash out" in bright outdoor lighting. YMMV 

I am not in any way being argumentative nor dismissive of what @hipower is saying, and I admit "learning" a Red Dot initially takes a bit of practice (Dry fire is your/my friend :) )... but so did initially learning to use iron sights. And I agree, most defensive use is definitely relatively close. But having the ability to engage the most statistically probable event plus the outlier like an active shooter event can't be a "bad thing" in this day and age.

My apologies for the drift/tangent. I'm looking forward to what develops and look forward to hearing of others experiences. 

And I’m not being dismissive of what you are saying, but many experts and trainers are teaching Point Instinct shooting as a discipline separate from target shooting; no sights are used. That’s how I was trained many years ago. Don’t get me wrong, if you have the time and the conditions to use sights; that’s great. Lighting and time can be in short supply in a shooting situation.

I have a Shield in my carry lineup, but a Shield is a belly gun; not a target gun.

As far as optics being found on many handguns in the future; I agree with you. But they aren’t there yet. They are too fragile and slow to use (I have them). My WAG is that lasers will surpass Red Dots in defensive carry handguns.

Also, there is no reason not to integrate a milled slide into a handgun with a slide; everyone will do it.

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, DaveTN said:

And I’m not being dismissive of what you are saying, but many experts and trainers are teaching Point Instinct shooting as a discipline separate from target shooting; no sights are used. That’s how I was trained many years ago. Don’t get me wrong, if you have the time and the conditions to use sights; that’s great. Lighting and time can be in short supply in a shooting situation.

I have a Shield in my carry lineup, but a Shield is a belly gun; not a target gun.

As far as optics being found on many handguns in the future; I agree with you. But they aren’t there yet. They are too fragile and slow to use (I have them). My WAG is that lasers will surpass Red Dots in defensive carry handguns.

Also, there is no reason not to integrate a milled slide into a handgun with a slide; everyone will do it.

I agree except that I'd say red dots are catching and will surpass lasers before long. I've tried laser and found it very distracting. It's supposed to permit more target focus but I found myself so focused on the dot wobbling around that I wasn't paying attention to anything else. 

Point shooting also works best for me in self defense type shooting. I'm faster while staying accurate enough at short ranges.  The transition for me is about 15 yds.  

• Like 1

Many good thoughts on both sides of this question. Yes, being a bit wishy-washy on it, but I think the trend towards optics on handguns has gotten off with a bang, and likely will continue. I'm just an old, fat man, with bad attitudes and old school perspectives. lol 

Only time and use of these will tell of its acceptance on the Shield and smaller pistols.

• Like 1
On 7/23/2019 at 7:22 AM, DaveTN said:

And me.

I like red dots, but I wouldn't expect to have time to mess with turning it on or needing a sight in the type of shooting I would be doing with my Shield. But absolutely, to each his own. S&W already has Shields out with red dots mounted. So I would guess they will offer them Optics Ready or C.O.R.E. Probably be cheaper to sell yours and buy one with the cutout than have a slide milled.

The Shield red dot on Walther, doesn't have to be turned on & off, stays on. Normal batt. life 2 to 3 yrs.

• Like 1