Qurstion for the high tech guys here?

It is my understanding that in January Windows 7 will no longer be supported and folks will be forced to update to Windows 10. My questions are can I have windows 10 installed on this old desk top I am using or do I need to get a new one? Also if I can get it installed on this old machine how much of a change can I expect between 7 and 10. Is it a big change or does it operate pretty much like windows 7? I am sure there are folks here probably using windows 10 already that were windows 7 users before updating. I am not a computer Guru so I have to ask. If anyone can offer up some information a dummy can understand it would be greatly appreciated. I come here to ask these questions because I trust folks on this site to be upfront and honest.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Bersaguy       aka  Doug

1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

It is my understanding that in January Windows 7 will no longer be supported and folks will be forced to update to Windows 10. My questions are can I have windows 10 installed on this old desk top I am using or do I need to get a new one? Also if I can get it installed on this old machine how much of a change can I expect between 7 and 10. Is it a big change or does it operate pretty much like windows 7? I am sure there are folks here probably using windows 10 already that were windows 7 users before updating. I am not a computer Guru so I have to ask. If anyone can offer up some information a dummy can understand it would be greatly appreciated. I come here to ask these questions because I trust folks on this site to be upfront and honest.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Bersaguy       aka  Doug

You need to look at the requirements for Windows 10 and see if your computer matches or exceeds them. If you cannot upgrade memory drive capacity, and CPU then you'd certainly need a new computer. You can check this by going to System Information where it will give you what your system has installed. I work for a large computer company here in town if you need a new one. I get 17% off and have access to the outlet site which is refurbished computers that aren't really refurbished; they were just returned for one reason or another. Anyway, payment options would be limited. PM me if you're interested and I'll be glad to help.

Not sure if it will work or not, but its a big change thats for sure.  I went from 7 to 8 to 10 and probably like 10 better than 8, but not as much as 7...if i remember there are addons from 3rd parties that can make newer systems mimic the look and feel of 7...i had one for a while when i had 8, but finally decided i wasnt going to learn if i didnt just jump in...i actually find myself doing most of my computer surfing on my ipad.   So much so that at times when im on my computer ill reacj out to my non touch screen computer monitor and try to make it work...embarrassed to say it never does lol.

A lot of people have had to go thru what you are facing.  IMO, I would buy a new laptop as the new ones already have Windows 10 loaded on them, so you should have "fewer" issues than going thru the upgrade from 7 to 10.  I went thru the upgrade (forced is a good word to use) due to other software I use, so.  Ended up being a big PITA.  I got tired of the issues, so just went and bought a new one with 10 on it.  No issues after that.

You could just get a "Chrome" laptop for internet if that is all you do with a laptop.  Other software is available but the Chrome computers have very little storage on the laptop itself, so you usually have to end up using the "cloud" which is another whole adventure in itself IMO.

I have an Acer Chrome laptop (10-12" screen) that I use at times, works fine no issues but I do not store any personal info on it at all.  My other laptop is a HP 14" screen with 10, Outlook, (email/calander/notes/tasks) that I use the majority of the time as I do keep Outlook open 24/7 to keep me headed where I need to be at times.  LOL

You don’t have to change just because support stops. There are still people running XP.

You probably shouldn’t upgrade to windows 10 until you can get a new PC. But if your PC is running 7 okay it will probably run 10 okay. The problem usually is not will your PC handle it, but loading a new operating system on top of an old one just doesn’t work well.

But yes, at some point you will no longer be able to run Windows 7.

Window 10 can be set-up so that you probably wouldn’t notice much (if any) difference.

Edited by DaveTN
29 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

You don’t have to change just because support stops. There are still people running XP.

You probably shouldn’t upgrade to windows 10 until you can get a new PC. But if your PC is running 7 okay it will probably run 10 okay. The problem usually is not will your PC handle it, but loading a new operating system on top of an old one just doesn’t work well.

Window 10 can be set-up so that you probably wouldn’t notice much (if any) difference.

I’ve got a computer that is running windows 10, factory install. My problem is I can do a Speedtest on my WiFi on my iPad and I’m hitting 125mbps, I can barley get 40mbps on my computer so unless you have a suggestion I’m having to do the upgrade end of the month (I hate buying a new computer)

4 minutes ago, dralarms said:

I’ve got a computer that is running windows 10, factory install. My problem is I can do a Speedtest on my WiFi on my iPad and I’m hitting 125mbps, I can barley get 40mbps on my computer so unless you have a suggestion I’m having to do the upgrade end of the month (I hate buying a new computer)

Is your computer a desktop on ethernet or a laptop on WiFi?

16 minutes ago, dralarms said:

Try updating the wifi or eathernet (wired) card driver.

@bersaguy the only downfall of not upgrading is not getting updates for security. We are updating all the computers at work to Windows 10. It has been a pain because we have lots of old ones. I agree with the idea that it is better to buy a new one with win 10 on it than upgrade 7 to 10 on an old one. I just never have had good luck with an "in-place" upgrade. 

Hp's refubished units are normally just ones that failed we and were reworked. Unlike Dells site where they are 2 or 3 years old already. For about $70 you can upgrade their warranty to 3 years just like the non-refurb too.

12 minutes ago, dralarms said:

Desktop on WiFi. It’s not any better on cable either

That’s sounds like a hardware issue with either your network adapter on your pc or your modem from the cable company; not an operating system problem.

Easiest things first. Have you reset your modem and done a speed test? Who is your internet provider and what speed are you paying for?

Many WiFi cards for desktops have screw in type antennas that go with them. Does yours?

17 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

That’s sounds like a hardware issue with either your network adapter on your pc or your modem from the cable company; not an operating system problem.

Easiest things first. Have you reset your modem and done a speed test? Who is your internet provider and what speed are you paying for?

Many WiFi cards for desktops have screw in type antennas that go with them. Does yours?

I’ve reset the modem, speed test on pc best is 40mbps. COMCAST, I’m paying for 105mbps.  On my iPhone and iPad using the same wireless connection I’m getting 105mbps+. The problem is the same on the wired or wireless connection. 

6 minutes ago, dralarms said:

I’ve reset the modem, speed test on pc best is 40mbps. COMCAST, I’m paying for 105mbps.  On my iPhone and iPad using the same wireless connection I’m getting 105mbps+. The problem is the same on the wired or wireless connection. 

Try with Windows Firewall and Antivirus turned off

I will echo what some others have said and provide my own 2 cents.  I think for most general users the change from Windows 7 to 10 is fairly minor (unlike the difference between 7 and 8 which was drastic).

I known more than one person that still uses XP.  While there's no substitute for an up-to-date operating system, I wouldn't be particularly concerned about keeping 7 after Microsoft stops supporting it.  I plan to continue to use Windows 7 on my primary desktop.  The real problem with keeping 7 is likely to come several years later when the anti-virus and browser makers stop supporting Windows 7.  I would be more concerned if it was a laptop you would be connecting to public WiFi.  I would consider that too risky once support for 7 ends.

I agree that refurbs can be a good choice if you do decide to replace your existing desktop.  I recommend sticking with a desktop unless the portability would be something you would like.  In my experience they maintain their performance level longer than laptops.  That could be less of an issue with modern solid state hard drives.  Desktops are more "user serviceable" and cheaper to fix.

I would not be in a rush to do anything now if your desktop is working fine.  Maybe Santa will bring you a new one.  :-)

Tracy

I just rebuilt an older (@2010) desktop for use in my shop.  I did install a new SSD in place of the old harddrive, loaded a fresh copy of Win 10 and used my old Win 7 key to activate.  No problems whatsoever, albeit when I built this one originally I put a pretty good CPU (for that time) in it.  As for the changeover to Windows 10, as usual with a new OS it took a few days and some online research for me to get comfortable with it, but now I've come around to the idea that I like it at least as well as Win 7 ...

bersaguy

Your computer isn't gonna stop working just because Microsh1t stops updating it.
I have customers still on Vista, many still on 7, some on 8.1, with a random XP machine here and there.
One still on Win98!

If you're using Microsoft Security Essentials, you'll probably have to change that to something third party.
Avast has a free version.

Just keep on keeping on until a replacement unit is in your budget.

Most home users do email, web browsing, and social media crap.
All of which can be done on an iPad with much less "upkeep" over time.
And you can get one from Verizon that has 4G in it if you're so inclined.
I have one for field work that has replaced a Windoze laptop that I lugged for many years.

As a side note, I've used Linux Mint for several years now on my personal desktop.
I have Win10 set up in a VM, but I haven't even launched it in over a year.
I can feel my blood pressure going up as soon as the splash screen comes into view!

59 minutes ago, DL126 said:

bersaguy

Your computer isn't gonna stop working just because Microsh1t stops updating it.
I have customers still on Vista, many still on 7, some on 8.1, with a random XP machine here and there.
One still on Win98!

If you're using Microsoft Security Essentials, you'll probably have to change that to something third party.
Avast has a free version.

Just keep on keeping on until a replacement unit is in your budget.

Most home users do email, web browsing, and social media crap.
All of which can be done on an iPad with much less "upkeep" over time.
And you can get one from Verizon that has 4G in it if you're so inclined.
I have one for field work that has replaced a Windoze laptop that I lugged for many years.

As a side note, I've used Linux Mint for several years now on my personal desktop.
I have Win10 set up in a VM, but I haven't even launched it in over a year.
I can feel my blood pressure going up as soon as the splash screen comes into view!

I’ve got one still running win98 also.  Only because the program requires dos 

13 hours ago, DaveTN said:

The problem with running an unsupported OS is that vulnerabilities will not be patched.

2 hours ago, E4 No More said:

The problem with running an unsupported OS is that vulnerabilities will not be patched.

A simple solution is to not have that pc/laptop internet facing unless it has to be. I know a lot of people running legacy apps that required old OSs, but they just run it isolated.  

Also, if you don't do shopping, banking, or anything else secure on it, it does not matter.

I am not sure how much besides TGO @bersaguy does on his pc. But I bet @dralarms win98 pc is not on the internet. 

15 hours ago, dralarms said:

Desktop on WiFi. It’s not any better on cable either

I had a similar issue with mine last year.  I subscribe to the Blast level of internet speed from Comcast, and they promised "up to" XXX speeds.  Well I had an older computer and their rented modem, the kind that also supports the phones,  and wasn't getting anywhere near those kinds of speeds.  Repeated calls to customer service helped not one bit.  Then one day while trying to self-diagnose, i wandered into a Comcast website that listed modem compatibility and their associated speeds.  Lo and behold if the dang modem that Comcast provided me wasn't supported at higher speeds, but at that time, it was the only one that also supported their 3 in one phone system/plan.  Well since I didn't even use the Comcast phone system, i went out and bought my own Motorola modem at best buy and saw a modest increase in speed right away.  After several more calls to customer service I stumbled upon a knowledgeable tech support American guy, lol.  No, seriously, they are NOT unicorns, they do exist!  No offense, just joking...sorta kinda...anyway, once he properly "registered my modem, i got really really fast speeds.

Flash forward a few years.  I started having other problems with internet connectivity, and a tech guy convinced me to get the Comcast rented all in one modem/wifi/phone thing in order to get a new plan.  He absolutely stated that i could get the new plan with out it.  So i fell for it and  dont use the phone part, i dont even have a phone handset n the house anymore for a landline.  Anyway, the wifi and modem combo works pretty good.  It sometimes hangs up and requires resetting but not all too often, really and usually only after a cable interruption of some kind.  Just did a speedtest usiing both http://speedtest.xfinity.com/ and speedtest.com and they average 178 dl, 12 ul and ping 8.  Thats pretty consistent with me anytime, and i have a LOT of wifi connected devices...cell phones, ipads/tablets/computers, tvs, surveillance cameras, etc...My contract with comcast says "Blast!® Internet Download speeds up to 150 Mbps", but im getting a little better than that.

If you go through comcast, id just warn you to be aware that their sales folks dont often know much other than what it takes to sound good and close a deal.  Thats not always the case though.  When i was first calling comcast to try to fix my issues with speed, they kept telling me that if I upgraded to the next higher level of speed/service, id see  up to xxx speeds.  but they didnt seem to understand when i explained i was not even seeing the current up to XX speeds, if that makes sense the way i said it...

Gosh!!! was not expecting to open up a can of worms but glad to see so many folks willing to help. I use to have a friend that owned a small computer repair shop and he would take trade ins on new sales and was located in Hendersonville TN. About 2 years ago he moved into a small strip mall near Rivergate Mall and He is where I purchased this desk top I am using now. It is an E-Machine per say but he actually took and E machine and built a bascially complete new computer and he had it for sale out in the sales are and was asking $299.00 but I got it for 200.00 cash and I have been using it for 10 years trouble free. I think I might call him and se if he is still in business and see if he has another rebuilt one like this one with windows 10 on it and see what I can buy it for if he has one.

Ok problem is solved. I just spoke with Shawn and he has 4  desktop computers he has built or rebuilt and all have 7 at present and he is asking $339.00 for them. He said he would boost the ram for me on the best one he has and put 10 on it and I can have it $250.00 and he will have it ready in a week.

I want to thank everyone here for your response and like I said in opening post. When I need to find help I know I can count on folks here.

Bersaguy     aka  Doug

1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

A simple solution is to not have that pc/laptop internet facing unless it has to be. I know a lot of people running legacy apps that required old OSs, but they just run it isolated.  

Also, if you don't do shopping, banking, or anything else secure on it, it does not matter.

I am not sure how much besides TGO @bersaguy does on his pc. But I bet @dralarms win98 pc is not on the internet. 

Well, since he's on this forum I assume that his computer is internet facing. There are other threats but I doubt they're a concern considering where he now lives.