How to remove axle hub that's stuck

I have 2009 Kubota B3030HSD. The axle/hub sheered off while mowing the yard this morning. I've removed the 4 bolts that hold the hub assembly to the axle (just below the yellow fill cap in the photo) , but I can't get it off. The seams appear to have been painted over. I've tried tapping it lightly with a hammer, but I don't want to break it. How do I get it off? The reason I'm taking it off here is that seal where the hub joins the axle is also leaking so I want take it in to get both things fixed at one time.

2019-07-12 14.06.00.jpg

I would first see if I could find a service manual for it and see if it has a gasket on it.  If it does, I would probably use a chisel on the corners and see if you can get it to separate.  Even if it doesn't, you can always use a little black RTV if needed when putting it back together.  

Or go ask over here https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/index.php in the Kubota section.  Someone there will most likely have a good answer.  Someone there may also have a service manual they would share.

Edited by Hozzie
2 hours ago, No_0ne said:

http://kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/index.php?dir=Tractor Parts Manuals/&file=B3030HSD.pdf

Search for "bevel gear case". Looks like there is a dowell and o-ring in this joint.  Hope this helps.

Thanks, that's it. I don't know what the dowel does, but there is a raised area on the bottom of the case where the dowel probably fits on the inside. 

I imagine a good whack would remove it. It's probably just stuck because there appears to be nothing left to hold it on. I've removed the four mounting bolts. I just don't want to break it taking it off. If I can get it off, I can take it in to get repaired. It doesn't look like it would be hard to reattach, but then I've never done this.

Thanks,

Edited by jgradyc
added more detail
1 hour ago, jgradyc said:

I don't know what the dowel does, but there is a raised area on the bottom of the case where the dowel probably fits on the inside. 

The dowel is for alignment, make sure you be easy taking apart and going back, very east to break things.

Light taps with a big hammer. Take your time and be patient. The vibration will eventually shake it loose. If it has a dowel, it very likely has two to properly align the housing when its installed. Once you get the seal broken, put a small pry bar or screwdriver in the gap and gently pry it off the dowels if need be. 

Take the steering linkage off first. Put the bolts back in the axle housing. Remove the ball joint nut. Then use the biggest hammer you have and smack the hell outta the side of the hub arm just below the ball joint.  DO NOT HIT THE BALL JOINT!. Again, vibration will make it come loose. You may have to hit it several times, but the ball joint will suddenly pop loose. 

BTW: put a pan under the axle because the gear oil will run out and make a mess. Don't forget to refill it.  ;)

I got it!  I put a 2x4 on the axle and tapped it all around until there was a tiny gap at the bottom. I sprayed the dowel with WD40 and wedged a narrow blade screwdriver in the gap and worked my way around until it was separated at the top too. Then, I rocked it back and forth until it just slid off. 

I can hear a noise when I spin the removed hub by hand so I think there's  problem is in the hub, but I'm concerned about the axle, too. 

When I twist it by hand, it moves about 1/8 of a turn. When I push it, it moves in and out about 1/2 inch. Is it supposed to do that? I'm trying to get a video small enough to attach. I'll post it soon.

The axle play is normal. I wouldn't worry about it. There's a certain amount of slack built into the design. 

The gear sounds seems ok to me too. Just gears and bearings echoing inside the housing as they move against each other. Easy enough to take the cover off and visually check everything. The dealer will have to do that to replace the spindle . I'm sure they'll let you know if there's a problem. ;)

Edited by Grayfox54
12 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

The axle play is normal. I wouldn't worry about it. There's a certain amount of slack built into the design. 

The gear sounds seems ok to me too. Just gears and bearings echoing inside the housing as they move against each other. Easy enough to take the cover off and visually check everything. The dealer will have to do that to replace the spindle . I'm sure they'll let you know if there's a problem. ;)

Thanks! I didn't know it was called a spindle. I'll take the part in today to get it repaired. I'm thinking of taking it to Coleman Tractor Company (the old McHenry tractor place) in Nashville this morning with the video of the axle. That part is $185 online. I doubt if I'll come out of this for less than $500. We'll see. 

• Like 1
On 7/14/2019 at 5:45 PM, Grayfox54 said:

I agree with both of these.   Axle play doesn't seem excessive and the bevel case seems about right.   At least if it is a bevel drive.  Someone earlier called it that and bevel drive gears are always really noisy.  Ducati used it on the camshaft of a motorcycle once.   LOUD.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2019 at 6:04 PM, gregintenn said:

I’d like to hear how this turns out if just for academic purposes. Any idea why it broke?

I'm still waiting to hear from Coleman Tractor. I dropped it off to be fixed two weeks ago! 

It broke because the spindle had obviously cracked a year or more in the past. I could tell because there was rust on part of the break and fresh metal on other parts of the crack. I was mowing on a hillside and the stress on the downhill side was apparently enough to make it crack the rest of the way.

Why did it crack a year or more ago? I don't know. Maybe there was a hairline flaw in the metal. 

• Like 1