Sign in to follow this  
Grayfox54

Long range M1A loads

I'm gonna try to get certified for the long range (200-600 yards) at my gun club. The problem is that until I do, I can only use the 100 yard range.  So all I can really do is try to work up some real good loads for this rifle at 100 and hope they'll get the job done. Anybody got some good, tried and true 7.62X51 long range loads? 

50 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I'm gonna try to get certified for the long range (200-600 yards) at my gun club. The problem is that until I do, I can only use the 100 yard range.  So all I can really do is try to work up some real good loads for this rifle at 100 and hope they'll get the job done. Anybody got some good, tried and true 7.62X51 long range loads? 

Can M80 ball not hit a target at 200 yards and get you into the snobs club?

• Like 1

Actually I'm not worried about 200 and probably not 300. Its that 600 yard target that concerns me. This rifle is a bit picky about ammo. With M80 it generally shoots about 2" at 100. I want to work up a good sub-MOA load just to be sure. 

I'm in no hurry. There's no timetable or schedule. Its just something that I'd like to try. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I'm gonna try to get certified for the long range (200-600 yards) at my gun club

Does that require some specific group size? If so what size? :confused:

Three 5 shot groups:

200 yards - 6"

300 yards - 9"

600 yards - 18" 

I've been told certification is mostly about safety. Making sure that the shooter can properly and safely handle the rifle and shoot reasonably well. They don't want some idiot blasting away and sending bullets over the berms to who knows where. All you have to do is look at the baffles on the 100 yard range and you'll understand their reasoning. :eek:

• Haha 1

Have you tried Gold Medal Match in your M1a?  I have limited experience with M1's to know exactly how they behave with different rounds.  GMM will group well enough to meet club requirements easy. 

If you don't want to work thru all the range levels, the club recommends participatingin a 600yds match.

Do you handload? I've had good luck with 168 gr. SMK and 43.0 gr. IMR4895, with a Federal 210 Match. I've not shot it at 600 yards though. Its accurate at closer range though.

Yrs, I do handload. I've already bought a box of the Sierra MKs and a pound of IMR4895 as I've heard elsewhere that this is THE combo. I'm currently preping brass. 

But I've also got a box of 500 150gr FMJ that I picked up a couple of years ago at a very good price. Since I'm reloading 7.62 anyway, I'm going to go ahead and load them too. So I've got a lot of brass to prep. 

Oh well, with Barry blowing in, it looks like I'm going to have plenty of time to work on them. :rolleyes:

150 gr. fmj can be really accurate. I've not shot them in my 40x .308 but have shot some in my M1  and they do pretty good.

Buy a can of GGG from SG ammo.  If you were closer I'd split a can with you. 

Actually I have some GGG. Pretty good stuff, but I don't think its NATO spec. Groups well, but tends to shoot about 3" high and left compared to other surplus with the NATO cross on it. 

I just finished prepping about 250 GGG cases to reload. Damn they put one hell of a crimp on the primer!  :censored: