The Military doesn’t want black guns??

In the video of the Barrett Factory Tour at the 12:00 mark Chris Barrett is talking about Cerakote and how the military doesn’t want anything black.

That surprised me for a couple of reasons, 1. Guns aren’t supposed to be painted, and Cerakote is painting a gun because you are too lazy or too cheap to put the proper high gloss polished blue finish on it, and 2. Some things, specifically Harley's and guns; are supposed to always be black. Duh..Everyone knows that.

So I’ll probably be sorry I asked this because the military does some really stupid stuff when it comes to weapons, but why don’t they want black?

I remember a few years ago Colt sold the Marines a bunch of Cerakoted FDE 1911s. The finish wore so quickly and so bad that Colt had to take the guns back. Cerakote and combat zones don't seem to mix very well. If you don't want black, what other finish can work with today's alloys? 

15 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Black doesn’t exist in nature - this the desire I remove it. 

It was removed from out later woodland camo patterns.  ACU phased it out entirely. Neither multicam nor marpat patterns contain black. 

Could you expand on this? Do you mean black doesn't exist in vegetation?

Zebras, gorillas, mountain lions, bears, tigers, various monkeys all have at least some black on them. I'm asking because there's obviously something here for me to learn.

Thanks!

31 minutes ago, TomInMN said:

Zebras, gorillas, mountain lions, bears, tigers, various monkeys all have at least some black on them. I'm asking because there's obviously something here for me to learn.

Thanks!

What you perceive to be black is actually a very dark brown. Black does not naturally occur in nature because it's the absolute absence of reflected light. 

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
23 minutes ago, TomInMN said:

Thanks!

I’m out of my depth here, but a zoologist would say that each of those animals are very dark brown. 

Black provides contrast where there shouldn’t be any. This is the reason why you rarely see black in any of the commercial patterns.  

55 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

What you perceive to be black is actually a very dark brown. Black does not naturally occur in nature because it's the absolute absence of reflected light. 

In some cases, the color is actually daaaaarrrk green. An arificial example is that black whopper a few years ago. If you ate one you know it was really over-saturated green. 

I have even heard the same "no black"  as far as uniforms from some squads that operate at night. Navy or dark brown stand out less In low light. Doesn't look as tacticool in the movies though.

In some cases I might see dark gray in snow break up camo in rocky areas. Wet rock might be the closest to black you need to match. 

How about we all talk about the urban camo that was the rage for a while? Blues and grays really blend in well to buildings and pavement.  Lol So you see sometimes the decision is less about effectiveness than coolness factor to some people. 

1 hour ago, E4 No More said:

Are you sure about that.  Many birds have black feathers, i.e. crows, ducks.  Cows, horses etc.  I have looked at many...not brown.

2 hours ago, E4 No More said:

Yes, I'm sure.

Have to back E4 No More here. What we perceive as color is reflected light from the object, visible wavelengths that the object does not absorb. Otherwise the surface would show no texture, no features what so ever. The only true black to my knowledge is a Black Hole, so science got the 'black' part right.

https://education.seattlepi.com/not-list-black-white-colors-physics-3426.html

I think the finishing/coating problem will become a thing of the past as polymer, carbon fiber and other materials make advances. Metals will be used less and less as these technologies continue to take over. Not saying I enjoy the idea, but that's the direction we are already heading.

Edited by I40Bandit
5 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Black doesn’t exist in nature

Yall aint never looked inside a woman's hand bag! Black as moonless night in the deep dark forest, black as a black hole.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, DaveTN said:

2. Some things, specifically Harley's and guns; are supposed to always be black dark brown. Duh..Everyone knows that.

:screwy:

You guys crack me up. You will read that there is no such color as black and believe it.

Gives new meaning to “Who you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?”

Some of you guys need to get out more.

:leaving:

15 minutes ago, krunchnik said:

I used to work at an underground copper mine that at about 1000 foot underground when you turn your headlamp off it got black-now that's black

Nope....sorry...didn't happen. It was dark brown. I'm sure of that because I read it on the World Wide Web.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Nope....sorry...didn't happen. It was dark brown. I'm sure of that because I read it on the World Wide Web.

So what you're getting at is that we shouldn't believe what they're saying because we read it on the internet?

Didn't you write that on the internet? I've gotta ask: Why should I believe you?