Going down a dark path

RC3

30 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

Thanks, I guess I should have been more specific.  I'm after the unicorn with the short horn (16 inch barrel) but it's starting to look like I'm going to have to settle for the 20 incher. 

That's what she said??

1 hour ago, xsubsailor said:

Thanks, I guess I should have been more specific.  I'm after the unicorn with the short horn (16 inch barrel) but it's starting to look like I'm going to have to settle for the 20 incher. 

I think once you get the 20 incher you won't feel like you settled for anything.

Just now, QuackerSmacker said:

I think once you get the 20 incher you won't feel like you settled for anything.

But if you get a Henry 30-30 you'll know you've really got a smooooooth, accurate, and very classy lever action, which will also only increase in value.

I’d look for a Marlin or a Rossi in either .357 or .44 mag.  Not a fan of Winchesters. I’ve had a couple of Marlin and Winchesters in 30/30. Just never liked the caliber and didn’t like the way the Winchester worked.  Love Henrys, but if you are looking for traditional, Henry doesn’t fall into that category. However they make a beautiful rifle, especially their Big Boy Steel Rifles! 

I love my Marlin Model 1894 Lever Action .357 Magnum made in 1981. I bought it from a fellow TGO member a few years ago. I usually shoot .38s in it because I'm cheap but leave it loaded in the safe with .357 just in case I need the fire power at the spur of the moment for bear control. Keep talking myself out of a 30-30 version but not sure how much longer I will win that argument.

15 hours ago, hipower said:

Check GunPro.com sales today. An 1894 in 45-70 for under 600. Looks cool. 

ooooo.....Thank you hipower, its been too long but I will check them out.

17 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

People always say this, but I have never been to one that has guns. I have seen a couple advertised, but they clearly were gun sales with some househod crap on the lawn. 

I am still waiting to run into the $25 .22 Or $20 shotgun like I always hear about at one.

I was at an estate sale a few months ago. Picked up a 1929 mosin 91, a 19xx enfield in .303 (hate it) and a norinco sks (going to turn it into a bullpup)

18 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Maybe if it is the dark route you are going....

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-1895-big-bore/model-1895-dark-series

I have Winchester 94s that I like, but you are looking at 30-30 there. 

Thats going down the deep end, I LOVE IT. If only I could grow a beard to go with it.

You know, at this rate, I might just pick up the coveted .45-70 AND build me a .458 soccom rifle. You know, old meets modern. I

Edited by RC3
10 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

I love my Marlin Model 1894 Lever Action .357 Magnum made in 1981. I bought it from a fellow TGO member a few years ago. I usually shoot .38s in it because I'm cheap but leave it loaded in the safe with .357 just in case I need the fire power at the spur of the moment for bear control. Keep talking myself out of a 30-30 version but not sure how much longer I will win that argument.

I Have one in 44 mag that is older than yours, and it is a fine rifle.

2 hours ago, Garufa said:

I’d still like to see Marlin come out with a .500 S&W Magnum.  Even .460 would be interesting but a .500 1894 carbine would give me the giggles.

What ever you do, DO NOT google “big horn armory”. You have been warned.:devil:

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

What ever you do, DO NOT google “big horn armory”. You have been warned.:devil:

Oh, I know all about that.  No way on earth I’m gonna pay that much for a range toy, lol.

I’ve got my dad’s 1980 vintage Marlin .45-70 that provides the big-bore lever action jollies when needed.  But a .50 cal would be cool.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
17 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Oh, I know all about that.  No way on earth I’ll gonna pay that much for a range toy, lol.

I’ve got my dad’s 1980 vintage Marlin .45-70 that provides the big-bore lever action jollies when needed.  But a .50 cal would be cool.

OK...I just googled Big Horn Armory. 

Oh My Stars and Garters!! Such things as I would not see again! Nor would I attempt to shoot them. lol

On 7/18/2019 at 12:23 AM, RC3 said:

It pains me to say this, but I need some help in finding a lever action rifle. I shot my friends marlin 30-30 and for all the #### I have given him over the years for having a "cowboy gun", it sure was a blast. What are some good brands and models and what to stay away from. This is will be a range toy, so .357 or .44 would be cool. .45-70 would be way out there, but looks to be the most fun.

I will say, in my opinion, cross bolt safeties on a lever action are an abomination. Avoid them at all cost.

• Thanks 1