CMP Clinc on the 28th

Guest FroggyOne2

Guest FroggyOne2

There will be a CMP/DCM clinic on the 28th of Feb at ORSA.. I was requested to post this. If you would like to get in on being able to buy from the CMP, you must attend one of these clinics to get your letter of qualification in marksmenship.

Contact Dave Fugate (865)594-5464 po1fugate@comcast.net if you don't have a service rifle to shoot so that they will know how many to have on hand.

Be there at 8 am.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did one of these clinics last year and had a great time. You spend the morning in class learning all the basics like positions, how to shoot an M1 (and AR-15), how it works and how to properly use the sling. Afternoon is a full blown Garand Match were you learn to works the pits and score targets and oh yeah, shoot at 200 yards.

And you leave with an authentic John C. Garand match certificate to satisy shooting requirement for CMP purchases.

Guest GUTTERbOY
There will be a CMP/DCM clinic on the 28th of Feb at ORSA.. I was requested to post this. If you would like to get in on being able to buy from the CMP, you must attend one of these clinics to get your letter of qualification in marksmenship.

Contact Dave Fugate (865)594-5464 po1fugate@comcast.net if you don't have a service rifle to shoot so that they will know how many to have on hand.

Be there at 8 am.

hmm...

http://www.thecmp.org/eligibility.htm

Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity:

You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

- Current or past military service.

- Current or past law enforcement service

- Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).

- Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).

- Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.

- Concealed Carry License.

- Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.

- FFL or C&R license.

- Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.

- Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf

I have no doubt that these clinics are educational and fun, but they're by no means required to buy from CMP.

:love:

Guest FroggyOne2
I have no doubt that these clinics are educational and fun, but they're by no means required to buy from CMP.

:love:

Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).

I said you will get your letter, or as stated.. certificate of marksmenship, it is one of the parts that you need.. Read your own statement. If you don't have the other requirements.. then you need to do the clinic.

When a statement is made, one can not make an asumption that it only applies to them. (Meaning You the reader). But "one" should think of the statement made as it would apply to the general public.

Guest FroggyOne2

Plus.. this is a positive thing for all.. don't need someone comming in and throwing a knot into and and being all negitive and all.. that is one of the problems with forum. So many want to be negitive instead of being positive. If you can't help promote a good thing and be positive and help support something, exp in the shooting world.. that means all sports.. then butt out and keep your negitive statements to your self!

Plus.. this is a positive thing for all.. don't need someone comming in and throwing a knot into and and being all negitive and all.. that is one of the problems with forum. So many want to be negitive instead of being positive. If you can't help promote a good thing and be positive and help support something, exp in the shooting world.. that means all sports.. then butt out and keep your negitive statements to your self!

+1 :love:

Guest GUTTERbOY

Sorry, I didn't realize that providing complete and accurate information was "being negative." The original post, as I read it, implied that one had to attend one of these clinics in order to buy from the MP, which is not the case.

My objective was not to demean the clinic, which as why I made sure to express my positive thoughts about said clinic. In fact, I came in this thread in the first place because it sounded like something I might have been interested in- and it is. If it was more convenient to me, I'd probably go, even though I don't need the certificate to buy from CMP.

Learning is never a bad thing.

Edited by GUTTERbOY
Sorry, I didn't realize that providing complete and accurate information was "being negative." The original post, as I read it, implied that one had to attend one of these clinics in order to buy from the MP, which is not the case.

My objective was not to demean the clinic, which as why I made sure to express my positive thoughts about said clinic. In fact, I came in this thread in the first place because it sounded like something I might have been interested in- and it is.

There are other requirements. This time last year, I did not have a permit or club affiliation (NRA does not count). But link was provided. Enough about that.

If you are interested I highly recommend. It's fun! If you don't have an M1 or never shot one, it's only $30 for the day. And it is the whole day. If you've got one with ammo, only $10. If the weather holds I'm going through it again. Hope to see you there.

More info: http://orsahp.com/new_shooters_clinic_faq.aspx

I think they actually do several of these beginning this time of year.

Guest GUTTERbOY

I actually shot a Garand for the first time last weekend. I had already wanted one, but that just cemented the desire.

My problem is that my wallet does not jibe well with the stuff I want. :)

+1

I immediately thought the same thing--there are several other ways to qualify for CMP buys. I'm not being negative either, just responding to what the original post stated.

Whatever the case, I'd love to attend a CMP clinic. I've got a Colt 6601 that's bored to death; it would be the perfect rifle for me to use to get some High Power schoolin'.

Guest FroggyOne2

My objective was not to demean the clinic, which as why I made sure to express my positive thoughts about said clinic. In fact, I came in this thread in the first place because it sounded like something I might have been interested in- and it is. If it was more convenient to me, I'd probably go, even though I don't need the certificate to buy from CMP.

Learning is never a bad thing.

It is not what you said my friend, but the way it was presented. You set the negitive tone with the very first phrase. "ummm" What you could have done, is, to have presented your information in a different manner, like saying, that that is not the only requirement or that that is not the only way to get certification in order to buy from the CMP. You have the remember that though some of may not know all of the requirements. I myself can at times be at fault myself. I can be at times rather direct and to the point. Being that I work thirds and sometimes my being a product of my work enviroment comes out rather strong. I am a passionate person when it comes to gun rights and shooting sports. I try to support every aspect of it and try not be narrowed sighted to only one of them. Though I am a highpower shooter and do mostly long range stuff now. I support all of it. If you shoot IDPA at Oak Ridge.. then soon you will get to meet me, fore I do plan to get back into doing some of that too soon.

Randy

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm going regardless of weather etc. so if anyone in Chattanooga wants to make the trip they can ride up with me. I may drive early Saturday morning on even thought of a cheap hotel tomorrow night? Any other TGO members going besides me? I'd like to put some faces to some avatar's.

Guest abailey362

depends on the hotel. i've had places turn me away in the past, and had places give me a room at 18. I'd try to book online if you are gonna stay. sounds like it'll be a good time for all.....i'll be working as always

Guest abailey362

it is a nice facility....kinda hard to find your way around if you don't know where you're going though.

I thought they were shooting rain or shine though

it is a nice facility....kinda hard to find your way around if you don't know where you're going though.

Yeah was supposed to be but obviously the good ole boys running the show didn't want there targets to be ruined for their next weeks high power match. He even said that, I was a little bit irritated myself but felt more upset for the two guys from Ashville NC and the guy from Johnson City TN. I'll be back in April for the next Clinic.

They were:

http://orsahp.com/new_shooters_clinic_faq.aspx

ORSA-logo.jpg

CIVILIAN MARKSMANSHIP PROGRAM

SERVICE RIFLE CLINICS

Welcome to the ORSA High Power Rifle Program’s “New Shooter†web site. Here you can learn about how to get started in our rifle marksmanship activities through ORSA’s CMP service rifle clinics.

CMP SERVICE RIFLE CLINICS are an important first step for all of our new shooters. Clinic participation qualifies you to purchase surplus rifles and ammunition from the government’s Civilian Marksmanship Program. Clinics also prepare you to participate in CMP Games events and NRA rifle competitions scheduled throughout the year at ORSA. First-time competitors who do not hold an NRA High Power Rifle classification are required to complete at least one CMP rifle clinic before firing a CMP or NRA match at ORSA. Because of the informal atmosphere during clinics new shooters are able to learn, ask questions, and interact with their instructors and coaches in a way not possible during match competition.

Each clinic begins with a Saturday morning classroom session during which you will receive basic background on topics including:

Range safety and operations

Course of fire and shooting positions

Target scoring and pit operations

Equipment maintenance

Saturday afternoon you’ll have a first chance to put this information to work on the range. You’ll be paired up with one of our experienced rifle competitors for some individualized coaching while you fire a practice match.

COST Adult participants pay a nominal fee of $10 for each rifle clinic. There’s no cost for junior shooters under 18 years of age. If you don’t currently own a suitable CMP Service Rifle (M1, M1A, AR15, or bolt action military rifle) or an NRA Match Rifle ORSA has a limited number of M1 rifles for loan with CMP ammunition available for an additional $20 per shooter.

REGISTRATION Clinic registration takes place at the ORSA Clubhouse Saturday morning between 8:00 and 8:30 am. If you need to use a club rifle and ammunition you will need to make arrangements with the CMP clinic contact listed in the annual schedule posted on the ORSA HP Rifle web site (http://orsahp.com) at least one week in advance to confirm that support will be available. CMP and ORSA require all first-time shooters must complete and sign a certificate of eligibility and waiver of liability before participating in a CMP rifle clinic or match. You may download a copy of this form at here to have it ready before registration.

EQUIPMENT

You will need to bring the following basic equipment to participate in a CMP rifle clinic:

Rifle and sling

3 magazines, M1 Garand clips, or 4 stripper clips for bolt action rifles

60 rounds of ammunition

**Hearing protection (ear plugs and/or muffs)

**Eye protection / shooting glasses

**Empty Chamber Indicator (ECI) (available for purchase $1.00)

Clipboard, pencil and paper (or a rifle scorebook if you have one)

Rain gear (for yourself and to cover your equipment)

Loose clothing, suitable for weather conditions

Sweatshirt and hat

Sunscreen

Drinking water (LOTS of it)

Food for the day

Optional items for personal comfort as desired (sunglasses, bug repellent,

towel or face cloth, folding chair, etc.)

** indicates required safety items

You should also consider obtaining the following equipment as you gain shooting experience. Your coaches will probably have many of these items at the clinics. We recommend that you observe and ask about what shooting equipment competitors use and prefer before investing a lot of money in specialized items like this:

Shooting jacket

Shooting glove

Shooting mat

Spotting scope and stand

Shooter’s stool

Cleaning rod and chamber brush

Sight blackening lamp or spray

Scorebook

Rifle competition is a fun and rewarding pastime that creates lifelong friendships and memories. We hope you will take advantage of as many of the CMP rifle clinics as possible to meet other ORSA rifle shooters, start your involvement in competitive shooting and build your skills to whatever level you desire.

They were:

http://orsahp.com/new_shooters_clinic_faq.aspx

ORSA-logo.jpg

CIVILIAN MARKSMANSHIP PROGRAM

SERVICE RIFLE CLINICS

Welcome to the ORSA High Power Rifle Program’s “New Shooter†web site. Here you can learn about how to get started in our rifle marksmanship activities through ORSA’s CMP service rifle clinics.

CMP SERVICE RIFLE CLINICS are an important first step for all of our new shooters. Clinic participation qualifies you to purchase surplus rifles and ammunition from the government’s Civilian Marksmanship Program. Clinics also prepare you to participate in CMP Games events and NRA rifle competitions scheduled throughout the year at ORSA. First-time competitors who do not hold an NRA High Power Rifle classification are required to complete at least one CMP rifle clinic before firing a CMP or NRA match at ORSA. Because of the informal atmosphere during clinics new shooters are able to learn, ask questions, and interact with their instructors and coaches in a way not possible during match competition.

Each clinic begins with a Saturday morning classroom session during which you will receive basic background on topics including:

Range safety and operations

Course of fire and shooting positions

Target scoring and pit operations

Equipment maintenance

Saturday afternoon you’ll have a first chance to put this information to work on the range. You’ll be paired up with one of our experienced rifle competitors for some individualized coaching while you fire a practice match.

COST Adult participants pay a nominal fee of $10 for each rifle clinic. There’s no cost for junior shooters under 18 years of age. If you don’t currently own a suitable CMP Service Rifle (M1, M1A, AR15, or bolt action military rifle) or an NRA Match Rifle ORSA has a limited number of M1 rifles for loan with CMP ammunition available for an additional $20 per shooter.

REGISTRATION Clinic registration takes place at the ORSA Clubhouse Saturday morning between 8:00 and 8:30 am. If you need to use a club rifle and ammunition you will need to make arrangements with the CMP clinic contact listed in the annual schedule posted on the ORSA HP Rifle web site (http://orsahp.com) at least one week in advance to confirm that support will be available. CMP and ORSA require all first-time shooters must complete and sign a certificate of eligibility and waiver of liability before participating in a CMP rifle clinic or match. You may download a copy of this form at here to have it ready before registration.

EQUIPMENT

You will need to bring the following basic equipment to participate in a CMP rifle clinic:

Rifle and sling

3 magazines, M1 Garand clips, or 4 stripper clips for bolt action rifles

60 rounds of ammunition

**Hearing protection (ear plugs and/or muffs)

**Eye protection / shooting glasses

**Empty Chamber Indicator (ECI) (available for purchase $1.00)

Clipboard, pencil and paper (or a rifle scorebook if you have one)

Rain gear (for yourself and to cover your equipment)

Loose clothing, suitable for weather conditions

Sweatshirt and hat

Sunscreen

Drinking water (LOTS of it)

Food for the day

Optional items for personal comfort as desired (sunglasses, bug repellent,

towel or face cloth, folding chair, etc.)

** indicates required safety items

You should also consider obtaining the following equipment as you gain shooting experience. Your coaches will probably have many of these items at the clinics. We recommend that you observe and ask about what shooting equipment competitors use and prefer before investing a lot of money in specialized items like this:

Shooting jacket

Shooting glove

Shooting mat

Spotting scope and stand

Shooter’s stool

Cleaning rod and chamber brush

Sight blackening lamp or spray

Scorebook

Rifle competition is a fun and rewarding pastime that creates lifelong friendships and memories. We hope you will take advantage of as many of the CMP rifle clinics as possible to meet other ORSA rifle shooters, start your involvement in competitive shooting and build your skills to whatever level you desire.

They should have omitted the rain gear part since they obviously don't shoot in the rain. The guy running it stated were not getting our equipment wet and shooting our targets and ruining them we have to use them next week for our high power rifle match. But I'm done whining I'll go back to the next one weather permitting.