Schooled in muzzleloaders

Good morning everyone.

I am not sure this is the correct thread or not but,,,,

I know absolutely nothing about muzzleloaders and recently I’ve been thinking I would like to try one to hunt deer with?

The problem is I do not know where to start?

I was hoping I could get some real world advice and or experience here?

I would be grateful 

Blessings 

Doug

I just started last season. I bought a $100 used in-line, some #11 caps, sabots and powder. I got lucky and bought a used bp mix of tools on eBay. So that is where I got my powder measure and powder flask. I went out to the range and played with suggested powder amounts. 

Now it is not as nice as my Dad's break action that uses 209 shotgun primers, but I am sure it will kill a deer just the same. 

I decided that if I stick with it, I can get a better one later. 

There is a definite cool factor factor with the traditional side hammer rifles, black powder, caps, and patched round ball.

There is a lot of convenience and practicality with the single shot type breakdown rifles with a scope, powerbelt bullets, 777 pellets, and shotgun primers. 

My father and some of his friends custom build and shoot smokeless muzzleloaders.

Is there anything in particular you are curious about?

Edited by gregintenn

I have a few different ones.  My go to is a break action CVA.  They are cheap, and just easy to mess with.  They are also easy to clean.  You want to make sure that you always get muzzle loaders really clean.  

2 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

I have a few different ones.  My go to is a break action CVA.  They are cheap, and just easy to mess with.  They are also easy to clean.  You want to make sure that you always get muzzle loaders really clean.  

Me too. I have a Thompson Renegade, but it sets in the safe while the CVA Wolf goes hunting.

I have a Knight wolverine. I shoot the pellets. It’s easier than loose powder. I also shoot sabots. I converted mine to 209 primers. It’s my favorite gun to hunt with. They come with Romney triggers and suck to clean but only weigh about 5 pounds.

If you want to stay traditional you got to stick with holy black, not that imitation stuff. The smoke and smell are what muzzle loading is about. Try shooting a flintlock if you really want to experience tradition.  Have fun with your project or you will lose interest. 😀

47 minutes ago, owejia said:

If you want to stay traditional you got to stick with holy black, not that imitation stuff. The smoke and smell are what muzzle loading is about. Try shooting a flintlock if you really want to experience tradition.  Have fun with your project or you will lose interest. 😀

...and the impending rust.

Speaking of the rust with black powder. I started with Pyrodex RS because everybody told me it was better than black and easier  to clean. I switched to Goex black 2f a few years later because Pyrodex is harder to ignite. I found out that I could get my T/C New Englander cleaner hmmmm.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Quavodus said:

Speaking of the rust with black powder. I started with Pyrodex RS because everybody told me it was better than black and easier  to clean. I switched to Goex black 2f a few years later because Pyrodex is harder to ignite. I found out that I could get my T/C New Englander cleaner hmmmm.

I believe the old caps are a major source of corrosion in addition to black powder. Pyrodex will rust em as well.

My point is to advise anyone new to muzzleloaders that they require meticulous cleaning, oiling, and periodic checking for corrosion.

23 minutes ago, Wade195 said:

Looking at the knight Vision?

I talked with the nice folks at Knight today and liked what I heard.

Besides, like someone already mentioned, the are in Tn.

Also buy the 209 primer breechplug, and it looks like a winner to me!

On 7/23/2019 at 7:15 PM, gregintenn said:

Me too. I have a Thompson Renegade, but it sets in the safe while the CVA Wolf goes hunting.

I still have the Knight that I got from you.  It's a great gun, but it's long and heavy.  The CVA is just easier to mess with. 

• Like 1