Visiting critter (i.e. coyote question)

We live out in the sticks a bit, and twice now we've had a mysterious 4-legged visitor. I've only caught a glimpse of it, but worried about a predator on our property (chickens, dogs, kids). It appears to be a coyote, but if it is, it's big. First time I saw it聽I caught the back half of the animal scooting into the woods near the driveway, about 2 in the afternoon, looked like a really big German Shepherd. I'd say at least 100 lbs. This morning (3 AM) I saw something (it) again, just the back 2 legs, darting into the woods (same spot near the driveway, heading opposite direction).聽 Kids are usually in the house, dogs aren't out alone very often... but the chickens mostly free-range during the day. We have lost one so far this year (no signs of attack, just didn't show back up one afternoon with the rest of them).

- How big can coyotes get? I've read ~75lbs. I have a 75-lb lab-poodle mix, and a ~60lb malinois pup. This critter in my woods is 100 lbs.... It's taller, longer legged.

- I've seen a ton of roadkill, a handful trotting along the roadside up in East TN, and lots of pictures on the intertubes... it looks like a tan/brownish coyote, but doesn't have the bushy-flared-out tail I usually see in pics (smeared on the side of the road, it's tough to tell聽馃ぃ) Any other identifying characteristics to looks for?

- Cannot find any tracks or footprints in the area (checked both times, ground is soft right now, too). There are some signs of animal trails here and there, but... we've got a ton of deer and other stuff out here, so....

Short of buying a trail-cam and setting it up, what are some things I can do to protect my flock? I've seen a coyote early in the morning feeding on a roadkill deer about 3 miles from where we live. You do hear them at night from time to time, so I know they're in the general area. It's also possibly a stray/ranging dog. There is one property owner nearby that has several dogs that he does not.... keep under his control. My guess is based on the size it's a dog, but the guy around here that lets them run loose doesn't have one that looks like that (that we've seen....) And it looks just like a really big-a$$ coyote! Do they inter-breed? Would it help to string wire between the tree's in the woods at appropriate height? Or聽possibly drive it into another area? Already have 2 (male) dogs and 3 male humans urinating at will around the property....聽 Short of sitting up at night with my Mossberg, what else can I do?

Thanks for the advice.

- K

Edited by ReeferMac
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like you we moved down from the North country and CoyDogs were a big problem in the area we came from. They were all shapes and sizes, including 100lb cross with shepherds. I saw one that sounds like yours cross the road in front off me about 1/2 mile from our old house and could not believe how long and tall it was, easily 100lbs.

Probably a hybrid, be it聽a coy dog or maybe a coy wolf. Have read they cross with the eastern wolf. Capture and have dna samples sent off to test. TWRA should be willing to do the dna test if you can capture it. Capture may have to be done "聽lethally".聽 Will be hard to trap because most traps are for smaller varmints. Remember also they don't have their winter coats this time of year. Winter coats make them look bigger than they are.

I agree that it's probably a dog.聽Look for scat. Coyote scat typically has fur, bones, and berries in it. Coyotes tend to poop in the middle of trails so its usually not hard to find.聽You know what dog scat looks like.聽

Thanks for the suggestions all. I did go through the woods looking for scat, and found a collection of nuggets on one of the 'trails'... went to the goog for pics of coyote scat, and nope, that wasn't it. Actually tried a few 'who's poop is it' sites, and couldn't get anything that looked close to it (other than a bear!) I have a friend that traps who offered to come by and set a few snares, but I don't know if I'm ready to go there, as none of his will release. He also suspected a cross-breed of some sort. Wish I could get a picture... anyone got a trail-cam they're not using? I'll pay the shipping! LOL!

So long as we have no interactions, I'm content to be and let be, but I am down 1 bird, and it's the prime suspect. I intend to get additional livestock (pigs), so predation has been a concern.... I do hear footsteps in the woods all the time when I'm outside, but we'll have deer pop out in the corner of the yard/pasture, so always just assumed it was them passing through. I was thinking of setting up some rattle-traps (aka tin-cans on tripwires to make noise)? Maybe I'll start picking up the dog-business and spreading it around the woods, LOL!

Thanks again.

- K

If you want it gone but not necessarily dead, hitting the mystery critter with bear spray or mace might be an option. Some are available as a gel, so it might provide a more lasting reminder to stay away.

Most aren't super long distance options, so it might take some planning and waiting...

On 7/26/2019 at 9:48 AM, ReeferMac said:

Thanks for the suggestions all. I did go through the woods looking for scat, and found a collection of nuggets on one of the 'trails'... went to the goog for pics of coyote scat, and nope, that wasn't it. Actually tried a few 'who's poop is it' sites, and couldn't get anything that looked close to it (other than a bear!) I have a friend that traps who offered to come by and set a few snares, but I don't know if I'm ready to go there, as none of his will release. He also suspected a cross-breed of some sort. Wish I could get a picture... anyone got a trail-cam they're not using? I'll pay the shipping! LOL!

So long as we have no interactions, I'm content to be and let be, but I am down 1 bird, and it's the prime suspect. I intend to get additional livestock (pigs), so predation has been a concern.... I do hear footsteps in the woods all the time when I'm outside, but we'll have deer pop out in the corner of the yard/pasture, so always just assumed it was them passing through. I was thinking of setting up some rattle-traps (aka tin-cans on tripwires to make noise)? Maybe I'll start picking up the dog-business and spreading it around the woods, LOL!

Thanks again.

- K

Coyote scat is pretty distinguishable.聽 It will have lots of hair in it usually.聽