Bond Arms Derringer

Colt4530

Can't account for my fascination with retrievers.  Bond Arms' look great but also look stupid expensive.  Could buy a pocket Sig or Colt for that.  The other choices have been $100 - $125 and look suspect. 

Well, now Bond has released the Goldilocks Rough series for ~$260.  I searched and found nothing about shooting the little beast.  How rough is the recoil of the .45/.410? 

I like 1911 .45s, I don't mind .41 Mag with the right grip shape or a Contender in 7-30 Waters, but draw the line below .30-30. 

spacer.png

Edited by Colt4530

Have you handled one? I had a 3" (I think) model for a while & whilst undoubtedly built like a vault door, it was unbelievably heavy, impossible to aim, had a trigger I couldn't work (pull up & back simultaneously?!) & was physically bigger than my .45 XDs.

With 2½" birdshot it was merely unpleasant. With Winchester Pdx defense loads, it was god-freaking-awful.

I admire them, I think the build quality is as good as anything & better than 95% of firearms & you couldn't give me another. Wrapped in money. Delivered by a stripper.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

ROTFL!   I have handled one, at The Outpost.  I had expected it would be unpleasant to shoot.  Lots of nice semis for the same price.  Prolly get another XSP for the polished up price.  I was thinking about it as a boot Gun handy to get when driving. 

Edited by Colt4530
2 hours ago, robtattoo said:

you couldn't give me another. Wrapped in money. Delivered by a stripper.

I wouldn’t for any 2 shot derringer. (okay, that’s not true.  I might if it was wrapped in money and delivered by a stripper)

I’m the applications guy, and believe many different guns have their own application. But there are so many better options for small pocket guns. Unless of course your application is seeing if you can spend more than anyone but still be the most unarmed person in the room. However, kudos to them I don’t see how they stay in business, but obviously they are selling guns. :up:

• Like 3
3 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I wouldn’t for any 2 shot derringer. (okay, that’s not true.  I might if it was wrapped in money and delivered by a stripper)

I’m the applications guy, and believe many different guns have their own application. But there are so many better options for small pocket guns. Unless of course your application is seeing if you can spend more than anyone but still be the most unarmed person in the room. However, kudos to them I don’t see how they stay in business, but obviously they are selling guns. :up:

See, that's the thing.....the Bond is SOOOO heavy, it doesn't work as a pocket, backup, deep conceal gun. It weighs as much as a commander size 1911 & is physically bigger than most sub-compact semis. Hell, with the standard grips, it's nearly the size of a Glock 26!

It's the least useful, gun I've ever owned (although I've never had one of those Russian 12ga derringers) but by far and beyond the best built. When you close up the barrels, it honestly sounds like a Rolls Royce door.....

Also, the trigger was designed by someone who's never, ever. EVER fired a pistol in an emergency. You don't just pull it, you have to 'move' it. I don't recall exactly whether it's up or down whilst squeezing backwards, but you cannot physically 'panic' shoot the thing. You have to mentally adjust to it. If you're at derringer distance, I'd assume you're not aiming, not concentrating & not stepping into your preferred stance. You're pulling, pointing & shooting, probably at whatever body level you're drawing from. No-can-doesville with this.

19 hours ago, robtattoo said:

Have you handled one? I had a 3" (I think) model for a while & whilst undoubtedly built like a vault door, it was unbelievably heavy, impossible to aim, had a trigger I couldn't work (pull up & back simultaneously?!) & was physically bigger than my .45 XDs.

With 2½" birdshot it was merely unpleasant. With Winchester Pdx defense loads, it was god-freaking-awful.

I admire them, I think the build quality is as good as anything & better than 95% of firearms & you couldn't give me another. Wrapped in money. Delivered by a stripper.

I handled one recently but didn't get a chance to shoot it.  While interesting, there are many other guns I would rather have my life depend on.

For what it's worth...I've never owned a derringer of any sort. Always thought I'd like one, preferably a High Standard in 22 Mag. 

I've shot several HS models and a few Bond as well. 

For me, far more trouble than they are worth. The weight, as Rob says, is awful, and the triggers are worse.  Cleaned a HS 22 mag for a friend that had left it in a closet. Yep, the ammo was green, and crud fouling everything. I took it down as far as I dared, soaked it in Hoppes 9, and got my dental picks out.  Got in clean, put in fresh ammo and shot a few rounds. Did I say I hated the trigger? It's terrible. It measured at 14-17 lbs. Gave it back and I think it went back into her closet.:wall:😎

To top it off, I find myself still thinking that I want one. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Just for other options. Lol

Saw this monstrosity on a site tonight. 

American Derringer Model 1 45-70 Gov Derringer

spacer.png

https://www.genitron.com/Handgun/American-Derringer/Pistol/Model-1/45-70-Gov/Variant-1

I handled a 45-70 derringer once. The owner had purchased it for fishing in AK. It struck me (as others have mentioned) that it wasn't all that much smaller than something like an SP101 with a 3" barrel.

I can't say I find the idea appealing. I'd be interested to compare the numbers on a hot 357 from a 3" barrel vs a 45-70 from a 1/2" barrel. And I'm not convinced that you'd actually get the second shot off, or even have the gun in your hand after the first barrel...

I had a Bond Arms Derringer....shot good, like Rob Said....410 pdx loads felt like catching a punch...I didn't find the trigger all that bad.  Well built and beautiful gun but more of a novelty than anything else.  Heavier than most any compact firearms and your only getting 2 shots...doesn't really make sense for anything but fun range toy or night stand gun and even then do you really only want 2 shots?  I think these were more popular before Taurus came out with their judge line and 410 revolvers weren't so common.

• Like 1
Guest OMCHamlin

I have to admit, I have a Bond Arms Cowboy Defender (45LC/410), an American Derringer M7 Lightweight in 45ACP, an FIE in 38 Spl and a High Standard DM101 in 22WMR. None of them is in my daily carry rotation at all...

• 2 weeks later...

My dad carried a few American Derringers through the 80s and 90s.  I have shot about a dozen derringers in my life and owned a few. I had the opportunity to shoot a 45-70 a few years ago and regret that I passed. 

I prefer the American Derringer but find the Bond ok.  To me they shine as a back up to a rifle or large handgun nothing small is chambered in like 45Colt, 44 mag, 10mm, or maybe 45acp. My 45 Win mag wasn’t really all that bad. I would say 38 spl is the most powerful you would shoot for fun in a regular basis.