Quilts

My Mom has been quilting as long as I can remember, now that she has retired she has been quilting full time. Here is one of her quilts.

quilt.JPG

granny and quilt.jpg

Edited by RED333
forgot to add pics
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Very nice!    A lot of folks don't realize how much work goes into a handmade quilt or any sewn garment.       My DIL's mother does a ton of quilting, and my wife sews and some embroidery.   It's a labor of love for the maker and an item to be cherished for the recipient.       

Very nice quilts, RED. My Mom & Grandmothers, used to do the same when I was a little yonker. When Mom dies, there were 22 quilts in a storage box upstairs. I kept them for years, but finally decided to sell them, had to make room. Kept one that my Great Grandmother stitched my name on.

These old handmade quilts are worth quite a good sum from collectors.

My grandmother and great grandmother both quilted a lot. When my great grandmother died my mom got me several stiched quilt tops. My wife's grandmother finished them for us. Make a them extra special since she is gone too now. W

The ones I used to love as a kid were the ones my granny cut up old clothes to make. Tons of polyester 70's clothes to be exact. Lol

• Like 1

My wife quilting, sews, embroidery and a bunch of crafty things. Gives most away to charities or as gifts, does do a few craft sales. Her room has 3 sewing machines, 3 embroidery machines and a serger. I don't even want to guess  how much fabric, when we moved she packed it in plastic tubs and it about half filled a 12' enclosed trailer and she has expanded since the move. We have a great system I don't question her hobby purchases and she doesn't mine. Lucky we both have some constraints and so far have not had to change the rules.

My wife's mother and grandma both quilted. Her grandma evidently was pretty forgetful, they pin with straight pins the batting or whatever prior to stitching and I have had a pin stuck deeply in a foot when getting into bed a few times. That totally wakes you up!! The pins are in between the layers so you have to find a way to pull them out. Ouch!! brings back memories.

My wife's grandma made me an extra long quilt because I'm tall and I like to tuck the blanket back under my feet since they would extend past the bed. I used that quilt until the threads gave out. Man, I miss that woman!

The woman made awesome dinner rolls too. She tried to teach my wife how to make them but my wife just couldn't learn what a pinch and a dash were, or how to judge consistency from the feel of the dough. Closest we came to her rolls after her death was at Lambert's Cafe in Sikeston, MO. If you're ever by there, stop in. They don't disappoint. 

On 7/28/2019 at 4:50 PM, Ronald_55 said:

My grandmother and great grandmother both quilted a lot. When my great grandmother died my mom got me several stiched quilt tops. My wife's grandmother finished them for us. Make a them extra special since she is gone too now. W

The ones I used to love as a kid were the ones my granny cut up old clothes to make. Tons of polyester 70's clothes to be exact. Lol

Sort of like a clothing time capsule. 

My granny used to quilt and I have some polyester late 60s and 70s examples packed away myself!