Winchester 70 in .375 H&H

KahrMan

So I have a bad habit of buying guns, sticking them in the safe and not shooting them.  About 1.5-2 years ago I picked up a mid-60's Winchester model 70 in .375 H&H.  I finally put a scope on it and took it out yesterday to sight it in.  I am not very recoil sensitive.  This was my fist time shooting .375 H&H and it thumped me a little more than I was expecting.  My shoulder is sore today.Got her sighted in and back into the safe she goes.  If I get lucky and get an elk tag this is the gun I will use.

About 2.5 years ago I picked up a Montana X2 in .300 Win Mag.  Scoped her and got her sighted in yesterday also.  I love accurate rifles and I really love this one.  After shooting the .375 this one did't seem to kick at all.  Clover leafed my last three shot group at 100.  Should have taken a pic but didn't think about it.

It was a little warm yesterday but it was good to get out and shoot some.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, MacGyver said:

You’re welcome to come shoot your old .458 Win Mag anytime.  Talk about recoil sensitive...

I think the 375 thumped harder than the 458 or maybe I am just not remembering correctly.  I was shooting the 375 from an awkward position with an improvised rest. That could be why it felt so hard. 

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
9 hours ago, KahrMan said:

I think the 375 thumped harder than the 458 or maybe I am just not remembering correctly.  I was shooting the 375 from an awkward position with an improvised rest. That could be why it felt so hard. 

Position definitely matters.  I think that .458 could break something if you weren’t careful. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2019 at 7:54 AM, MacGyver said:

Position definitely matters.  I think that .458 could break something if you weren’t careful. 

If you ever choose to shoot it from a bench, please let me know before hand so I can come video it!

I actually did a 40 round string from it, offhand & standing, with no I'll effect whatsoever. I shot it once from a bench. Once.

I thank my 'husky' build for the lack of shattered clavicle.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
5 minutes ago, robtattoo said:

If you ever choose to shoot it from a bench, please let me know before hand so I can come video it!

I actually did a 40 round string from it, offhand & standing, with no I'll effect whatsoever. I shot it once from a bench. Once.

I thank my 'husky' build for the lack of shattered clavicle.

I’d actually trade this one for the same Tropical model in 375 H&H in a heartbeat. 

.375 H&H is badass. My buddy, Tim Farmer, who hosted Kentucky Afield outdoor show,invited me to tag along while he did an archery boar hunt segment on Ted Nugent's ranch in Michigan. It was January and unbelievably cold. Nugent put us in a blind, while he took another client on the other end of the ranch where he had a buffalo herd (big ranch!). The client had a brand new Browning BLR, .300 WM I believe. When it came time to pull the trigger on the big buff, it went "click." Can't remember if something broke, frozen, whatever, but Nugent handed his back up rifle to the client, an A-bolt .375 H&H. He later showed us the video playback of the .375 hitting the buffalo (broadside lung shot) and the steam vapor exiting from the entrance and the EXIT hole at the moment of impact ... at 100 yards+. The buff went right down. Definitely a caliber that punishes from both ends. LOL

• Like 1

Back in the 90's when I used to have a full service shop, I had a guy bring in a 375 70 of about "70's" manufacture. He wanted a cheap scope put on and sighted. Despite my suggestion to step it up in the optics, he wanted the Bushnell 3x9 sport view. Yup, you read that right! The gun was given to the guy and he wanted to try it out on a deer as cheaply as possible. So I mounted it up on Weaver rings with a dab of rubber cement in the saddles to fend off scope shift and hit the 100y range with a box of Win ammo off the shelf.   The 70 clocked in with a couple of the best groups I ever fired out of a belted magnum. Factory ammo in a bone stock factory gun and its cutting clover leafs like nothing! Threw a freakin Sport View no less.... I all ways felt the 375 H&H was the king of dangerous game guns. And I'v worked on all kinds of bolt guns. Mostly trigger tunes & glass bedding before the whole pillar thing came to being and the M70's are my favorite design of all time. With a crisp 3.25 lb trigger pull on that straight up design...... it just doesent get any better than that. John Moses Browning lamented to his workers over and over, "the simplest design, is the best design". And KahrMan has all of that in that 375.

• Like 2

Back some years ago, when I went to the range it would be an all day affair. I'd get there early and stay till closing. This one day, early in the morning and not many people there yet, I heard a "BOOM!". Wondering what the Hell was that! I wandered down the line to check it out. Found the guy with a nice bolt action. I forget the brand. I asked him about it and he told me it was a .458 Winchester. Said he was sighting it in. We talked for a couple of minutes and I went back to my shooting. 

The range got busy and so did I. Then late in the afternoon, once again I heard "BOOM!". I looked and sure nuff, that guy was still here. I walked down and the conversation went something like this:

"Wow Man! I'm surprised you're still here?"

"Yeah, but just about to finish up."

"How many rounds have you fired through that thing?"

"SIX".  :eek:

Grayfox, that sounds like me when I bought a Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in .300 Weatherby Magnum.  It kicked so hard, I had my big brother sight it in for me that fall. Killed a buck and sold the rifle afterward. Yes, I am a wuss when it comes to mule kicks on my skinny ass shoulder! :) 

I'm real happy with my 7mm/08. It's actually enjoyable to shoot, and it kills deer like lightning struck.

Some years ago when I was still entertaining dreams of an African safari, I got an Eddystone Enfield rebuilt in .416 Rigby.  That action was as slick as frog snot!!!  

Eventually, I sold it to a friend who really did get to take it on safari.  But, sometimes I wish that I had just loaned it to him instead of selling it.  That was one really sweet rifle!

• Like 1