S&W M&P45 fullsize 2.0 grip question

tercel89

19 minutes ago, tercel89 said:

Just got me a new 2.0 M&P . Great gun but the grip is really abrasive . What have you M&P 2.0 owners did if you encounter this ? I hate to sand it down right off the bat .

Grip sleeves, but they don’t make them for the .45 guys. Youse guys are supposed to be tougher than that.

:taunt: Just kidding Hogue doesn’t make them for the .45, but other companies do.

Sounds kinda cheesy, but bicycle inner tubes cut to fit the grip work.  Ive done this in the past. The rubber gives a good grip too.  Wont last forever but it works., and a whole lot cheaper than grip sleeves made commercially!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Defender said:

Sounds kinda cheesy, but bicycle inner tubes cut to fit the grip work.  Ive done this in the past. The rubber gives a good grip too.  Wont last forever but it works., and a whole lot cheaper than grip sleeves made commercially!

This is what I have done in the past too LOL. I think I may try it here .

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Grip sleeves, but they don’t make them for the .45 guys. Youse guys are supposed to be tougher than that.

:taunt: Just kidding Hogue doesn’t make them for the .45, but other companies do.

I'd think the generic double stack sleeve would fit reasonably.... but the Hogue grips have some texture as well.  I have one on my Shield and it'll rub a spot on my side when I wear it all day.  

Ive considered undershirts, but I'm not sure how I'd manage the heat. I sweat enough as it is.  Another option is to move the gun a little further around (I normally carry at about 3:00) so the butt is off my side a bit more. It a compromise between comfort and concealment. 

1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

I started wearing undershirts. 

I thought about that too but my full time job uniform is 30 lbs and hot as heck . When I am not working I wear the least amount of clothes I have to. I may try the bicycle inner tube.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, peejman said:

I'd think the generic double stack sleeve would fit reasonably.... but the Hogue grips have some texture as well.  I have one on my Shield and it'll rub a spot on my side when I wear it all day.  

Ive considered undershirts, but I'm not sure how I'd manage the heat. I sweat enough as it is.  Another option is to move the gun a little further around (I normally carry at about 3:00) so the butt is off my side a bit more. It a compromise between comfort and concealment. 

For what it's worth I like the small of the back holster. I'm a big guy in both frame and fat. I find that a SOTB carried at 5 keeps the grips out of my tender flesh.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

My answer may have appeared to have been made glibly, but it wasn’t. I’ve carried both the 1.0 M&P 9c and the 1.0 Shield9 for a number of years prior to getting my 2.0 9 Compact. At first I was not a fan of the new texture as I thought it was excessively rough. Then I shot it and kept shooting it. The more I shot the 2.0, the more I came to realize just how slick the grips on the 1.0s were. The more I realized how much of an improvement the 2.0 grip texture was, the less it bothered me. So an undershirt or some minor roughness against the skin has become a minor sacrifice that’s outweighed by the benefits of the 2.0s texture. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, E4 No More said:

For what it's worth I like the small of the back holster. I'm a big guy in both frame and fat. I find that a SOTB carried at 5 keeps the grips out of my tender flesh.

I carried small of back right up until I slipped on some ice and landed on the gun. Owwie. That was a long time ago and i still get a twinge in my back just thinking about it.  

11 hours ago, peejman said:

I carried small of back right up until I slipped on some ice and landed on the gun. Owwie. That was a long time ago and i still get a twinge in my back just thinking about it.  

Yes, but think how bad it would hurt doing the same but driving the gun into your hip bone. :stare:

I sanded it pretty good and of course the black color turns a little grayish but it feels great. Plus the small grio insert makes this 45 full size pistol feel like a 9mm. It's a keeper for sure so that's why I don't mind sanding it down. It feels better than a lot of other polymer guns as far as grip texture and in girth too for it being a big-bore pistol.

IMG_5196.jpg

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 1