Waterfowl Hunting in Nashville

Hi Folks!

So I just moved here from RI about a month ago. I really started getting into duck hunting recently and wanted to see what opportunities there are around the nashville area or west near new johnsonville and duck river?

Most folks say the best duck hunting is west and while they are correct I believe with solid scouting and taking note of weather patterns, you can have yourself a decent season anywhere.

Thanks

Edited by MoAwad213

I'm not personally a duck hunter but we have several in the Music City SCI chapter. Join us this Monday at Royal Range and I'll be happy to introduce you.

Music City SCI

Meeting is Monday 6-8pm at Royal Range. We'll have a guest speaker talking to us about re-establishing quail populations in Tennessee.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Duck hunting can be great and it can really suck.  Depends totally on the weather.  If no cold weather up north then we don't see any migration and you have to rely totally on resident birds.   There are good populations of resident ducks and geese.  There are good areas but you need to know the regulations of where you are hunting.  Allot of areas are blind draw only and if you aren't careful you could end up on in a protected area like a waterfowl resting area without realizing it.  I believe you can hunt most of the TN river out of temporary blinds as long as you are not in a WMA.  You will need a boat.  The cumberland river can produce some ducks.  Again, you need to check regs and make sure you are not in a wma where it is from blind only or a protected area.  There are lots of creeks that dump into the cumberland that can hold ducks.    If you are interested in early wood duck, teal, and goose, try floating smaller rivers around middle and west tn.  

We had a Duck walk into our shop. I could have had him and didn't even need a gun. But he just wanted to get a drink, eat, and take a nap. Then he left. 

Well... we had to shut the shop doors and turn the air on because he didn't want to leave; but he finally did.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with waterfowl hunting, but it’s a Middle Tennessee Duck story.