Lightweight Light for Carbine *FOUND ONE*

For a PDW, I love my M1 carbine.

Ultimately decided to keep iron sights, work well and proven (to my satisfaction) from use in both a carbine and rifle class.

For more applications, I need a light.

Easy mod to vented heat guard, added a Magpul 5 slot rail.

Less concerned about specific battery type, do want a remote pressure switch.

Not brand loyal, have had good success with Fenix, if choice between Surefire and Streamlight, SL being US manufacturer.

I thought I saw positive feedback on Ozark Trail for a budget light.

What say you?

------------------------------------------

IMG_20190904_081400947.jpg

Edited by A.J. Holst

My most positive personal experience with lower cost lights has been Streamlight. Come with tape switch and have worked very well for me. My Surefire has worked great but more pricey for sure. Also I have a Primary Arms light with tape switch that is very bright and has held up great for the year I’ve had it. Not a lot of time as far as testing goes so don’t want to brag too much. But I’d say it will do well in the long run as well. 

Edited by rugerla1
  • Thanks 1

I use to always recommend Streamlight TL-R HLs for inexpensive weaponlights. I have now broken 3 in about 3 years. Two tailswitches cracked. One down the center and one where the pivot pin sits. The other I had on my 8"pdw with a tape switch and the tape switch tail cap separated from itself where it meets the light. Hard to describe. 

So in short I have switched to Surefire minus a couple Streamlights. I have yet to break one over about 8 years of owning different ones. My original x300 is still running strong just low on lumens compared to current offerings.

Not hating on Streamlight as my equipment does take a beating between SWAT, training classes, instructing, and regular patrol type stuff. If it sits in your house I'm sure it will fine for hd use but if your going to run it hard I would spend the extra bucks for something a little more durable.  For a little cheaper and pretty light weight Arisaka isn't bad.

My current setup on my rifle is M600 Scout DF in an Arisaka inline mount with SR07 tailcap/tapeswitch. Really liking it so far. Expensive but have yet to kill a scout light. PDW gun a 300 Scout would be nice and fairly inexpensive these days. I'm sure someone more light oriented will be along shortly as I'm not really up to speed on all the tech stuff related to them.

Also full disclosure, I never ran a Protac so they may be great lights I dont know. I do have a Protac handheld light that has worked good and is stupid bright.

• Like 2

I have never put a light on a weapon. But having the Fenix PD35 V2, I think I would try this setup; the PD35 V2 is excellent. I like the V2 better than the TAC because of the side switch, but on a weapon light I don’t guess it would matter. I could use the same setup with the V2, but it doesn’t appear to come as a kit. All the stuff in the kit is available individually.

https://www.amazon.com/EdisonBright-Tactical-Flashlight-Rechargeable-Charging/dp/B0728KLCQ1/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=fenix+pd35+tac+led+flashlight+tactical+bundle&qid=1564849844&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

• Like 1
22 hours ago, DaveTN said:

But having the Fenix PD35 V2, I think I would try this setup; the PD35 V2 is excellent. 

I have a UC35, adds an onboard USB charging port.

Used in a night class with Randy a while back, play with it nightly, still on the original charge.

I also have an LD05, great pen light for 10 yards or less. On off tail switch is not great.

On 8/3/2019 at 9:56 AM, cch2a said:

Not hating on Streamlight as my equipment does take a beating between SWAT, training classes, instructing, and regular patrol type stuff. If it sits in your house I'm sure it will fine for hd use but if your going to run it hard I would spend the extra bucks for something a little more durable.

I think you give a good perspective on SL from personal experience.

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, gr8smiles said:

Check out Olight 

I have at least one of everything they make. Best lights I’ve ever used !

Handhelds, search, and weapon lights 

https://www.olightstore.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1JLz77vy4wIVBp6fCh2QzgZaEAAYASAAEgLU2fD_BwE

Rick

I’ve got a few of their lights. I’m still playing around with them and evaluating them, but I have been thoroughly impressed so far. 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

How about Elzetta?  More of a buy-once-cry-once light, but check out their video blog series, as well ss independent torture tests... one dropping the light 300 ft onto concrete, etc.

On 8/3/2019 at 8:56 AM, cch2a said:

I use to always recommend Streamlight TL-R HLs for inexpensive weaponlights. I have now broken 3 in about 3 years. Two tailswitches cracked. One down the center and one where the pivot pin sits. The other I had on my 8"pdw with a tape switch and the tape switch tail cap separated from itself where it meets the light. Hard to describe. 

So in short I have switched to Surefire minus a couple Streamlights. I have yet to break one over about 8 years of owning different ones. My original x300 is still running strong just low on lumens compared to current offerings.

Not hating on Streamlight as my equipment does take a beating between SWAT, training classes, instructing, and regular patrol type stuff. If it sits in your house I'm sure it will fine for hd use but if your going to run it hard I would spend the extra bucks for something a little more durable.  For a little cheaper and pretty light weight Arisaka isn't bad.

My current setup on my rifle is M600 Scout DF in an Arisaka inline mount with SR07 tailcap/tapeswitch. Really liking it so far. Expensive but have yet to kill a scout light. PDW gun a 300 Scout would be nice and fairly inexpensive these days. I'm sure someone more light oriented will be along shortly as I'm not really up to speed on all the tech stuff related to them.

Also full disclosure, I never ran a Protac so they may be great lights I dont know. I do have a Protac handheld light that has worked good and is stupid bright.

I own a bunch of Chinese lights, mostly Fenix. But when it comes to durability, I don't know if you can beat Surefire. I have several. None take the beating you are giving yours.

• Like 1

Stopped in at SMKW yesterday to browse their lights. 

Spied a Crimson Trace Weapon Light at the gun counter.

Price was right, $59.95

Recognized brand, quality should be decent.

In the box:

Light, well machined.

Energizer battery

Two end caps

Rail, MLok, and Keymod attachment parts and pieces, mounts are also well made (in China)

Pleased to find the remote tail switch has Velcro straps in addition to the adhesive backing.

Heavy duty operator grade? Probably not for $60, but initial impressions are very positive for my intended applications.

My only negative at this time would be overall battery life, about 1 1/2 hours of use. 

Will get it mounted and report back.

IMG_20190904_081400947.jpg

• Like 1

And mounted.

Had to modify the hand guard to fit the Velcro straps; the pressure switch is very secure. I have not exposed the adhesive backing.

I couldn't be more pleased, the splash from the light illuminates the flouro orange painted front sight better than minimum expectations.

IMG_20190909_084017783.jpg

IMG_20190909_084028002.jpg

Edited by A.J. Holst
  • Like 2