News medias and their title.

Well, I was watching the news tonight and another bad guy with a gun was shot and killed by a good guy with a gun in or around Nashville and all of the cases have been declared self defense and the news medias have named in Vigilante Justice. I'm sorry but when someone confronts you with a gun and threatens you and you shoot him that is not Vigilante Justice. That is self defense and that loks like that is the way the DA is seeing it also and no charges are expected to be filed on any of the good guys.

On another note I couldn't believe how many firearms have been stolen from unlocked vehicles just this year. Over 200 guns have been stolen out of unlocked cars in the owners driveway at night. And they wonder how these youg kids are getting their guns? I didn't catch the name of the person that works at the DA's office but he said that they are looking at going to the legislators and getting a law drawn up making the car or truck owners liable for charges if the gun that was taken from their vehicle is used in a crime. I don't know if that will happen but something has to be done about gun owners that are so careless as to leave a loaded gun in an unlocked vehicle over night!!!!!.............JMHO 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Well, I was watching the news tonight and another bad guy with a gun was shot and killed by a good guy with a gun in or around Nashville and all of the cases have been declared self defense and the news medias have named in Vigilante Justice. I'm sorry but when someone confronts you with a gun and threatens you and you shoot him that is not Vigilante Justice. That is self defense and that loks like that is the way the DA is seeing it also and no charges are expected to be filed on any of the good guys.  

"Teen suspect killed in restaurant robbery attempt is Nashville's third self-defense shooting in ten days"

That is the headline of a story right now. 

All three were attempting to rob people at gun point when they got shot.

The good guys have been charged. I hate to break it to you, but the Nashville DA has charged a cop with murder for doing exactly what you described. And if they can do with him; it will be a lot easier to do it with any of us. 

On another note I couldn't believe how many firearms have been stolen from unlocked vehicles just this year. Over 200 guns have been stolen out of unlocked cars in the owners driveway at night. And they wonder how these youg kids are getting their guns? I didn't catch the name of the person that works at the DA's office but he said that they are looking at going to the legislators and getting a law drawn up making the car or truck owners liable for charges if the gun that was taken from their vehicle is used in a crime. I don't know if that will happen but something has to be done about gun owners that are so careless as to leave a loaded gun in an unlocked vehicle over night!!!!!.............JMHO 

[RANT ON]

It burns me up that the liberals and conservatives alike want to hold innocent citizens responsible for the actions of criminals. These laws they want will never hold up to a court challenge. Also, how are they going to determine if the car was locked or not; ask the criminal? Don’t laugh at that; I bet that’s what they do. Plea bargain with a statement the vehicle was unlocked at they get a conviction plus another suspect that might have some money they can get. I keep a gun in my car. I go places I can't carry it. I lock my car. That doesn't mean a criminal can't commit a burglary by opening my car. 

One of us gets arrested because a gun stolen from our car was used in a crime and bet you have gun owners lined up to say "He should have had his car locked." or "He should have had a safe in his car."

I have an idea. Unhandcuff the Police, tell them to stop the violent crime in their areas of assignment, assure them that when they arrest the violent thugs with guns those criminals will go to jail and they won’t get out for a very long time, give your Officers the support they deserve; have their back.

[RANT OFF]

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Moderators
6 hours ago, DaveTN said:

[RANT ON]

It burns me up that the liberals and conservatives alike want to hold innocent citizens responsible for the actions of criminals. These laws they want will never hold up to a court challenge. Also, how are they going to determine if the car was locked or not; ask the criminal? Don’t laugh at that; I bet that’s what they do. Plea bargain with a statement the vehicle was unlocked at they get a conviction plus another suspect that might have some money they can get. I keep a gun in my car. I go places I can't carry it. I lock my car. That doesn't mean a criminal can't commit a burglary by opening my car. 

One of us gets arrested because a gun stolen from our car was used in a crime and bet you have gun owners lined up to say "He should have had his car locked." or "He should have had a safe in his car."

I have an idea. Unhandcuff the Police, tell them to stop the violent crime in their areas of assignment, assure them that when they arrest the violent thugs with guns those criminals will go to jail and they won’t get out for a very long time, give your Officers the support they deserve; have their back.

[RANT OFF]

One can only hope this happens one day. 

12 hours ago, DaveTN said:

[RANT OFF]

Law abiding gun owners are being set up for failure.  Someone who is attempting to lawfully carry needs to go somewhere that is posted they go put their gun in their vehicle, and lock the vehicle.  Vehicle gets broken into and the gun is stolen.  Suspect makes please deal and states that the car was unlocked.  Like it or not these businesses that are posting are setting the wheels in motion for guns to get stolen.  I'm certainly not saying they are responsible for the actions of others, but they create the potential for a gun to be left in a car when it otherwise would be on the person. 

[AND MY OWN RANT]

How many people are leaving guns in unlocked cars that have gun related stickers on them?  I just don't understand putting a gun related sticker on a vehicle.  It screams "There is probably a gun in here, come take it!" And if there isn't, well, you just got your windows smashed so that the potential thief could find out.  

"Teen suspect killed in restaurant robbery attempt is Nashville's third self-defense shooting in ten days"

That is the headline of a story right now. 

All three were attempting to rob people at gun point when they got shot.

The good guys have been charged. I hate to break it to you, but the Nashville DA has charged a cop with murder for doing exactly what you described. And if they can do with him; it will be a lot easier to do it with any of us"

Well evidently the news was incorrect because they said the DA was not pressing any charges against to good guys and said he was declaring them  all as self defense. I was just posting what the news said. I'm sorry if my post was incorrect but was just going by what the new was saying. The DA must have changed his mind after the news reported differently. So evidenly if a punk with a gun attempts to rob you and you are armed you are just suppose to let him rob you and you are not allowed to defend yourself. What good is it to have a carry permit and be armed if you are not allowed to defend yourself against a robber????  

Edited by bersaguy

Well evidently the news was incorrect because they said the DA was not pressing any charges against to good guys and said he was declaring them  all as self defense. I was just posting what the news said. I'm sorry if my post was incorrect but was just going by what the new was saying. The DA must have changed his mind after the news reported differently. So evidenly if a punk with a gun attempts to rob you and you are armed you are just suppose to let him rob you and you are not allowed to defend yourself. What good is it to have a carry permit and be armed if you are not allowed to defend yourself against a robber????  

I’m not saying the news story was incorrect. I’m saying “Good Guys” are being charged. Officer Andrew Delke has been charged with murder. If he is convicted it will further restrict our ability to defend ourselves against criminal thugs. He was chasing a criminal who was fleeing his attempt to stop him. The criminal had a gun in his hand, did not throw it down, did not stop when ordered to do so, and continued to run for cover. The Officer was immediate danger of death or great bodily harm.

So you have a home invader try to force his way into your house. As you pull your gun he turns to run and you shoot him in the back. Or as you fire at a suspect pointing a gun at you; he turns and gets shot in the back of the head.  The DA and Mayor in Nashville think that is murder. We all better hope a jury decides otherwise. However, even if they do, one of us wouldn't get the benefit of the doubt a cop will get from most citizens.

My point is simple. If you display a gun during the commission of a crime or you put a reasonable person in fear that they are in immediate danger of death or great bodily harm; the use of deadly force should be justified. The pendulum has swung too far in protecting the rights of these low life criminals and the innocent victims are not getting the justice they deserve.

Tennessee v. Garner needs to be overturned by the SCOTUS. Unfortunately is could be the Delke case they try to do that with; lets hope his case doesn’t go that route.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, owejia said:

Sounds like Nashville needs a new mayor and DA. Nashville is turning into a liberal cess pool,

The problem is...I didn't see any in the crop of candidates that led me to believe any positive changes would be coming if they were elected.

All I heard was different ways of saying "I'm gonna raise your taxes." from each of them.

Hate to lose the family home, but sure looking to leave Metro someday soon.

I have always thought that if you are threatened and then the bad guy sees you have a gun pointed at them, if they turn to run the threat against you is over and you cannot shoot them in the back. The same I think would be the theft of Property. If you catch someone trying to steal your vehicle or other property and you have a gun and you call out to them to stop or you will shoot or something similar and they break and run again the threat is over and you should not discharge your weapon unless they turn and come towards you which inturn puts you physically in danger and you shoot them anywhere in the front of their body.

As far as Officer Delke, I feel he was totally justified in shooting the perp. He gave orders several times for the man to stop and he didn't. He was also running with a gun in his hand which meant had he stopped and turned on the officer with the gun officer Delke's life was in imediate danger. By officer Delke not knowing what the perps plans were he was justified to discharge his weapon. If you don't have anything to hide and an officer tells you to stop the best thing to do is stop and if he tells you to stop and drop you stop and drop.....JMHO

1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

I have always thought that if you are threatened and then the bad guy sees you have a gun pointed at them, if they turn to run the threat against you is over and you cannot shoot them in the back.

This is the law...

Under U.S. law the fleeing felon rule was limited in 1985 to non-lethal force in most cases by Tennessee v. Garner, 471 U.S. 1. The justices held that deadly force "may not be used unless necessary to prevent the escape and the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious bodily harm to the officer or others."[2]

A police officer may not seize an unarmed, nondangerous suspect by shooting him dead...however...Where the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a threat of serious physical harm, either to the officer or to others, *it is not constitutionally unreasonable to prevent escape by using deadly force.*

— Justice Byron White, Tennessee v. Garner[3]

The same I think would be the theft of Property. If you catch someone trying to steal your vehicle or other property and you have a gun and you call out to them to stop or you will shoot or something similar and they break and run again the threat is over and you should not discharge your weapon unless they turn and come towards you which inturn puts you physically in danger and you shoot them anywhere in the front of their body.  

You can’t shoot someone for theft. When they turn on you with a weapon; it’s not a theft case anymore.

Same applies for cops. When they stop someone for speeding and they pull a gun; the person isn’t shot for speeding. Speeding is no longer relevant.

As far as Officer Delke, I feel he was totally justified in shooting the perp. He gave orders several times for the man to stop and he didn't. He was also running with a gun in his hand which meant had he stopped and turned on the officer with the gun officer Delke's life was in imediate danger. By officer Delke not knowing what the perps plans were he was justified to discharge his weapon. If you don't have anything to hide and an officer tells you to stop the best thing to do is stop and if he tells you to stop and drop you stop and drop.....JMHO

Right or wrong the Officer was in pursuit of a suspect. That suspect pulled a gun and had it in his hand. He refused orders to stop and to drop the gun. He was headed for cover. If you can’t use deadly force in that circumstance; God help us all.

I feel fairly confident that the police wont try to charge me in a self defense shooting here in middle Tennessee.  But I certain ly do not have any confidence at all, despite what the Nashville DA says, that He wont pursue charges.  Like DaveTN said above, he is already charging good guys.  I can only wonder why he is bowing to the media like he is...is he seeking higher office or something?  The Delke shooting appears to me as justified as can be.  Bad guy with a gun, it shouldn't matter where the bullets entered his body, all that should matter is that he got put down before he hurt someone. When I first became a cop many many years ago, we were completely authorized to shoot fleeing felons.  Interpret that to say in the back.  Different times back then.  Obviously, things have changed now.  But a bad guy with a gun, is a threat to both the police and the public.  Its just a matter of time til he shoots one or the other.  Recently, there was a patrol car dashcam video on the news of a IOS in Nashville, Antioch I think.  Anyway, it was a pursuit, the bad guy bailed after pulling in a driveway, and was shooting at the LEO as he ran towards the back of a house.  At one point his  back was to the LEO but the bullets were hitting all around the LEO.  If the officer had hit him at that time, im sure it would have been in the back.  Im reminded of a story where a deputyt, after being asked why they shot a cop killer 68 times, replied,  “That’s all the bullets we had or we would have shot him more.”  (https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/sheriff-attributed-suspects-shot-68-times-thats-bullets-true/)

• Like 1