1911 guys - what do you do yourself versus send out?

1911 guys - what types of basic 1911 things do you tackle yourself versus sending out to a pro? 

What is reasonable for a non-pro to do?  For example do you tune/ adjust extractor, fit a thumb safety or slide release ? file-fit a new barrel? did you have formal  instruction or self-taught? 

I have the greatest respect for professionals, and I don't mind paying to have it done right.  I do dread sending a 1911 out for a 20 minute job,  as it might take months to get back.

And I have never seen a 1911 'drop-in' part, pretty sure those don't exist.  For example this week I put a S&A magwell on a FrankenColt  38 super with a lot of sentimental value.  Nice part, functionally it works great, but I have a small gap on bottom (compared to another professionally fit and blended magwell) that annoys me now. But I also can't imagine sending it out just for that. 

And I have looked at some 1911 armorer courses, but reality is I am not looking to spend a week building a 1911 from scratch. 

Is there a course out there that can teach me basic common stuff in a day or weekend?  

Thanks, 

Tim 

Doing competent gun work comes down to a person's skill level with tools. There are various levels of mechanically inclined individuals. There are a number of basics, a person should be unflinchingly comfortable with. Reading a Dial caliper and being able to file a true flat onto a surface. Are you prepared to buy a varied number of tools. The sad thing is a lot of folks "think" their basic maintenance auto mechanic skills will carry them threw. And for some it may, but others just end up with a zip lok baggy being dropped of at a Gunsmith shop.  So a day or week end may only tell you if you maybe, kinda, sorta have the skill talent to shape, fit and form gun steel. Best thing is buy your self some clunkers and see if you can install non fitting sights, make new grip panels "better" that the originals, learn trigger sear function and the geometery in the various designs. Having the ability to understand the function of each interrelated gun part is a key mechanical ability that not many folks have.  Where you fall into those abilities will show up in your clunker reworks!

• Like 1
  • Moderators

This reminds me of the old ship repairman story. There are a bunch of different versions of it, but the gist of all is the same. 

A giant ship engine failed. The ship’s owners tried one expert after another, but none of them could figure but how to fix the engine.

Then they brought in an old man who had been fixing ships since he was a young. He carried a large bag of tools with him, and when he arrived, he immediately went to work. He inspected the engine very carefully, top to bottom.

Two of the ship’s owners were there, watching this man, hoping he would know what to do. After looking things over, the old man reached into his bag and pulled out a small hammer. He gently tapped something. Instantly, the engine lurched into life. He carefully put his hammer away. The engine was fixed!

A week later, the owners received a bill from the old man for ten thousand dollars.

“What?!” the owners exclaimed. “He hardly did anything!”

So they wrote the old man a note saying, “Please send us an itemized bill.

The man sent a bill that read:

Tapping with a hammer………………….. $ 2.00

Knowing where to tap…………………….. $ 9,998.00

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Theres not much that can't be done by a careful amateur gunsmith particularly on the 1911. Not many special tools needed for the basics. That said beware of the fact that you will ruin some parts along the way and that can be expensive! The other big concern is safety. This is most common with trigger work, but can also involve barrel lockup etc.

In the end you pay a gunsmith tor his knowledge more than anything else. 

One last thing if you do try your hand at this if you screw something up please don't ever sell ou give it to someone else. Be honest with yourself about your abilities and quality if work. An old gunsmith that taught me lived by the rule "Learn from and OWN your mistakes but NEVER pass them on". After many years he had quite a few mistakes he still had that were used as reminders and lessons!

The 1911 is an easy gun to work on. I don't have the equipment to do machine work. I've never fitted a barrel. But I have done pretty much everything else to one. Just go slow, take your time and test fit often. Remember that its easy to remove metal, but damned hard to put it back. 

I highly recommend  Jerry Kuhnhausen's book on gunsmithing the 1911. 

Years ago I asked an old gunsmith how do you get in this business? His reply was "Jump in and go for it. But be prepared to pay for your mistakes." 

• Like 2

My late uncle had a Springfield Armory 1911a1 that he modified some. He bought this gun second hand. It was in pitiful shape when he got it. He checkered the grip safety in a criss cross pattern, put ribs on front of trigger guard, opened the ejection port, polished feed ramp, opened magazine well, had a black oxide finish applied, added a barrel bushing, added a Wilson Group Gripper. It made a very nice gun when he got finished.

• 2 weeks later...

Kuhnhausens book was invaluable for me while I was learning. A lot of shoulder observation with a master was helpful also. And if you ever run into anything you don't want to tackle on your own, get in touch with me. I'm in east Tennessee ,licensed, and I won't have your gun for months

11 hours ago, BCR#1 said:

A friend that I shoot bullseye pistol with every week lightened up the trigger pull on my Springfield range officer to 3.5 lbs.

Bill

Pretty easy to do by modifying the amount of pressure the spring leg applies under the mainspring housing.