Sight Picture Question

Guest Fenris

OK, after my horrible trip to the range the other day with my new pistol where I couldn't get a decent group, I started reading up on sight pictures.

I'm Right handed, left eye dominant. I typically put my chin on my right shoulder to line up my left eye with the sights. I tried keeping both eyes forward and did not shoot well.

Is it possible to be...ambidextrous eyed? When I focus on the front sight, I see two rear sights, two front sights, and two targets; in other words I'm seeing both sight pictures simultaneously. By concentrating I can make either image the dominant image. When I close my eye to see which one is lined up, I discovered today doing some dry fire that I can consciously line up with my right eye or my left eye. My vision is 20/15.

When I do the circle at arm's length test, I default to left eye, but again, see two circles.

Is this normal? I don't have this problem with long guns because I squint or use a scope.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe time you go see the eye doctor. I had a great 41 year run of perfect vision but now my right-eye has been messing me and my shooting up for a couple of months. I'm 20/25. I did some of the eye dominant tests last night. Square on, but right eye just won't get it anymore.

I went and ordered my first ever pair of eyeglasses today.

Edited by Garufa
OK, after my horrible trip to the range the other day with my new pistol where I couldn't get a decent group, I started reading up on sight pictures.

I'm Right handed, left eye dominant. I typically put my chin on my right shoulder to line up my left eye with the sights. I tried keeping both eyes forward and did not shoot well.

Is it possible to be...ambidextrous eyed? When I focus on the front sight, I see two rear sights, two front sights, and two targets; in other words I'm seeing both sight pictures simultaneously. By concentrating I can make either image the dominant image. When I close my eye to see which one is lined up, I discovered today doing some dry fire that I can consciously line up with my right eye or my left eye. My vision is 20/15.

I shoot handguns left-handed, but am right eye dominant, and do the same thing--rotate my head slightly to the left (as opposed to tilting it), and I can see two hands, two thumbs, two guns, and two sights when I think about it. I just ignore the one on the right (the one I can see through). I've been doing this for 30+ years, and rarely notice it. Sounds like you're perfectly normal, unless this recently started. It gets really interesting shooting a scoped rifle with both eyes open.