The importance of Optics - Chicago area shootings in light of media mass shooting focus

Erich

I thought this was an interesting thing to share as we digest the unfortunate events of the weekend and discuss them. We all appreciate the left biased media and politicians get inappropriately energized as they regroup on their anti-gun agenda.

They portray these sad events as the new normal and a function of nationalists and an administration that fosters it.

Meanwhile, in Chicago, IL, a liberal mega-center, with some of the harshest gun control laws in the US, almost 50 people where shot over the same weekend without the media beating their drum or the rabid democrats crying to save poor Chicago and screaming for even harsher gun laws that feel guarantee will end gun violence. 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-chicago-weekend-gun-violence-shootings-20190805-rjdbnceupnat7me4z3yjsvfe5y-story.html

The national media downplays what is IS actually normal. Only local news. Which is devoid of race information and political affiliation or inferred alignment of the perps. No mention how restrictive gun laws are not working while claiming they are a solution elsewhere.  

So why or whats different here? Clear daily high volume gun violence. And why is this OK to ignore or at a minimum, not sensationalize to the same degree.

1. Perps are criminals with illegal guns = killing is OK, because only legal guns are the ones they want to put a stop to??

2. Potentially gang related. So is that make it OK?

3. Cant point at White Nationalists - Poor optics does not fit current claims

4. Cant justify their screams for more gun laws as the use of illegal guns shows that killers don't care about the laws.

5. Liberal officials do nothing to little, with laughable penalties or enforcement, giving criminals little disincentive while going on about the conservatives nationally.

The phrase that comes to mind is: Pot meet kettle.

What would our friend Beto say as he bashes the administration about his liberal counterparts in Chi town?

How many Chicago TV shows are on now? Sounds like you gents dont miss it ;)

The thing is those numbers are just this last weekend....YTD has to really look ugly and dward the "mass shooting" numbers. Throwing NYC in the mix would really be something.

15 hours ago, Erich said:

I thought this was an interesting thing to share as we digest the unfortunate events of the weekend and discuss them. We all appreciate the left biased media and politicians get inappropriately energized as they regroup on their anti-gun agenda.

They portray these sad events as the new normal and a function of nationalists and an administration that fosters it.

Meanwhile, in Chicago, IL, a liberal mega-center, with some of the harshest gun control laws in the US, almost 50 people where shot over the same weekend without the media beating their drum or the rabid democrats crying to save poor Chicago and screaming for even harsher gun laws that feel guarantee will end gun violence. 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-chicago-weekend-gun-violence-shootings-20190805-rjdbnceupnat7me4z3yjsvfe5y-story.html

The national media downplays what is IS actually normal. Only local news. Which is devoid of race information and political affiliation or inferred alignment of the perps. No mention how restrictive gun laws are not working while claiming they are a solution elsewhere.  

So why or whats different here? Clear daily high volume gun violence. And why is this OK to ignore or at a minimum, not sensationalize to the same degree.

1. Perps are criminals with illegal guns = killing is OK, because only legal guns are the ones they want to put a stop to??

2. Potentially gang related. So is that make it OK?

3. Cant point at White Nationalists - Poor optics does not fit current claims

4. Cant justify their screams for more gun laws as the use of illegal guns shows that killers don't care about the laws.

5. Liberal officials do nothing to little, with laughable penalties or enforcement, giving criminals little disincentive while going on about the conservatives nationally.

The phrase that comes to mind is: Pot meet kettle.

What would our friend Beto say as he bashes the administration about his liberal counterparts in Chi town?

I agree with you on most of your post, except the rhetoric about restrictive or harshest Chicago gun laws. That’s fake news and you are using it for your narrative. What Chicago gun laws are you referring to?

Chicago certainly has problems; but it isn’t guns. Broken homes, unemployment, Cops not being allowed to do their jobs, a States Attorney that won’t prosecute offenders, and moral collapse are just some of the problems. Much of the same problems we have here.

But before we start worrying about Chicago; I respectfully request of us all that we get our own house in order. Do an honest comparison between murders and violent crime in Chicago and Memphis. Then apply the math for the population difference. I submit that we have the same problem (or worse) in our own state, but that the MSM just hasn’t targeted us yet. Although they will do a drive by of Memphis and Nashville ever now and then.

FOR THE RECORD: I have spent a lot of time in Chicago and it is still my favorite city to go party in. :cheers:                                          Although I certainly would not live there.

1 hour ago, AuEagle said:

The shootings/murders in Chicago are passed over because they don't further the prog/soc/comm agenda.

Correct, although they obviously aren’t being passed over they are in the national news daily. Young male minorities are shooting young male minorities. That’s isn’t an opinion; it is a fact.

But…stopping and arresting young male minorities carrying guns and drugs before they kill someone… is racism.

At some point the law abiding people will get tired of this. They will ask for and authorize change.

2 hours ago, AuEagle said:

Yea, I seen that pic:

PHOTOS-Every-US-Mass-Shooter-in-2019-Who

And this: https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/274538/51-mass-shooters-2019-were-black-only-29-were-daniel-greenfield

But nobody can even discuss the issue without being labeled a racist.  Sad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah Mr Dave. it did take you longer than I thought, but I knew you could not resist! I believe you may be playing semantics a bit, but I am noticing a general trend to miss the point and counter with something that is more off point for arguments sake. I'll point out a semantic liberty and twisting it to come back with the liberal media Google response, as well as clarify what the point was in case it was not clear.

Up front, this is all about the left's attack on 2A and their solution to the problem of gun violence. It is very clear in the opening of what I said. And how this example has to be ignored as it does not support their case. Specifically more gun laws = less gun violence and only white racists kill people with guns.

I see Jim was clear on it, and you appeared to actually agreed. But for some reason you went off about inner city dynamics and Memphis.

Dont get me wrong, I love a good debate and invite a dialogue, but I dont understand the tangents simply to be argumentative.

4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I agree with you on most of your post, except the rhetoric about restrictive or harshest Chicago gun laws. That’s fake news and you are using it for your narrative. What Chicago gun laws are you referring to?

Chicago certainly has problems; but it isn’t guns. Broken homes, unemployment, Cops not being allowed to do their jobs, a States Attorney that won’t prosecute offenders, and moral collapse are just some of the problems. Much of the same problems we have here.

The modifier that was missed to twist what I said was "some", in context "some of the harshest gun laws". This means its not stating its the top of the list, but its up there. Now, this seems to be where you took advanatage the hyper lefts defense  of recognized laws in Chi town as NOT being among the harshest. All of which is BS as their entire argement is to say that more gun laws solve everything around gun violence. So they have to deny it has more than free states and cities.

Reason: does not fit their arguement. And for some reason you are trying to support the lefts defense.

While it may have improved over time with court finding they are in violation of the constitution (hey...big red flag that they are harsh right?), having lived in CA until 2018, I know BS gun laws and recognize them. And am amazed you would not think the first couple things that come to mind dont support it.

1.FOID card to buy ammo and guns. CA went to background checks for ammo this year. Yet another retarded law that only works on the law abiding

2.Ban of assault weapons (BS cosmetic definition just like CA) - uhh...how do you think that is OK and not restrictive?

3. Mag capacity limit of 10 - see above

Fact is they have more restrictions than the rest of the state, but more gun violence. The only ones that refuse see or recognize that are those that support more gun laws as a solution but this clear example shows otherwise.

I did hit on this on the opening, but really? As I know you know, the Left (not me) says the solution to gun violence is more gun laws unless you not been paying attention the last few days. The entire topic is about how this example flies in the face of their argument. As stated, If the lefts answer is more laws, then why aren't they "screaming for even harsher gun laws they feel guarantee will end gun violence".

Your above says it not guns, which of course we all know.....then go on about inner city dynamics and socio-economics. Well boo freakin who for Chicago, but what does that have to do with the fact of the lefts anti gun rhetoric and their pat solution of more laws always being the answer??
Hence the title using Optics. as it it does not look good for them. No one is asking why, its irrelevant to proving their solution is not a solution.

Point: Throw this at them every time they say the fix is more gun laws and have them explain why they are OK with hundreds of people being gunned down in Chicago and they dont go crying about it like they are right now other cities. 

Just because its routine for mass killings to happen every weekend there = Horsepoop! Still a valid example to throw at them.

Just beause its not white racists = Horsepoop! Still valid

Why. Simple, more laws to oppress the law abiding and empower criminals. And the liberals cant handle it.

FOR THE RECORD: I have spent a lot of time in Chicago and it is still my favorite city to go party in. :cheers:                                          Although I certainly would not live there.

Now Mr Dave, first using liberal ideology that Chicago has open gun laws and now this. You aren't secretly a closet liberal are you? 😜 :D

2 hours ago, AuEagle said:

Yes, the lies are sad & evil.

There is no racism in truth.

I love the thought. Wish in application that second bit was true. But today's culture suggests you will be called racist for a truths that someone perceives as hurtful.

Question: any truth in stereotypes? or are they just racist mass hysteria?

5 minutes ago, Erich said:

Ah Mr Dave. it did take you longer than I thought, but I knew you could not resist! I believe you may be playing semantics a bit, but I am noticing a general trend to miss the point and counter with something that is more off point for arguments sake.

Point made. You won't have to worry about that happening again.