Modeling clay "snap cap" - Anyone ever used this idea?

@RED333

This derived from the need to test the firing pin in a lgs. I expect them to frown on even firing a primer in the store.  

The gun I was looking at has a rebound trigger on a break action gun. I have others of this model, but this hammer seemed very standoffish. Seeing this is a hard to find example, I wanted to pick it up, but not enough to end up having to get it worked on immediately. 

@Ronald_55

I haven't been to a local gun store in a long time that will let me use snap caps, or even a pencil (works great btw). etc because of fear of litigation if "something went wrong".

I could also see a gunstore having concerns about modeling clay gunking up the firing pin channel.

We're lucky locally here in Knoxville in that Point Blank will let you test fire a handgun prior to purchase...at least as a member I've had that offered to me.

Does the gun store you use have a range or test area where you can fire a couple of rounds?

6 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

@Ronald_55

I haven't been to a local gun store in a long time that will let me use snap caps, or even a pencil (works great btw). etc because of fear of litigation if "something went wrong".

I could also see a gunstore having concerns about modeling clay gunking up the firing pin channel.

We're lucky locally here in Knoxville in that Point Blank will let you test fire a handgun prior to purchase...at least as a member I've had that offered to me.

Does the gun store you use have a range or test area where you can fire a couple of rounds?

The few places I've been in wouldn't even take the trigger lock off, much less let you test fire it. 

• Like 1
On 8/5/2019 at 9:30 PM, Ronald_55 said:

@RED333

This derived from the need to test the firing pin in a lgs. I expect them to frown on even firing a primer in the store.  

The gun I was looking at has a rebound trigger on a break action gun. I have others of this model, but this hammer seemed very standoffish. Seeing this is a hard to find example, I wanted to pick it up, but not enough to end up having to get it worked on immediately. 

I am sure the LGS would be upset.

So get a few spent primers, punch the primes flat with out the anvil. Put the primer shell back into the case and test the hammer with that.

• Like 1

I got a less invasive suggestion outside the forum. To put a penny on the face where the firing pin protrudes and dry fire it. If the penny launches, then it is good. Not sure if that model will fire broken open, but might be worth a try.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

More complicated that it is used and an inbound transfer...

So this is a gun you already purchased from a third party? That would be a totally different situation from inspecting their inventory. Might be nice if they let you look through your transfer gun there, but certainly not expected.