Jump to content
Ronald_55

Modeling clay "snap cap" - Anyone ever used this idea?

Recommended Posts

Thought of a way to test firing pins that I see some have used online. Pop out a fired primer and replace with modeling clay. Would work on revolvers and such. Might need a full snap cap body for semis. 

Anyone tried this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why go to the trouble when you could just buy snap caps and not worry about gunking up your firing pin, or exposing it to moisture that clay naturally has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not load a case with a live primer, no powder or boolit, to test the firing pin.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@RED333

This derived from the need to test the firing pin in a lgs. I expect them to frown on even firing a primer in the store.  

The gun I was looking at has a rebound trigger on a break action gun. I have others of this model, but this hammer seemed very standoffish. Seeing this is a hard to find example, I wanted to pick it up, but not enough to end up having to get it worked on immediately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

@Garufa

To test if the firing pin is striking the primer. 

Put some marker over the "primer" on the snap cap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Place a #2 pencil in barrel not sharpened with eraser setting against beech face so firing pin will launch it if working.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ronald_55

I haven't been to a local gun store in a long time that will let me use snap caps, or even a pencil (works great btw). etc because of fear of litigation if "something went wrong".

I could also see a gunstore having concerns about modeling clay gunking up the firing pin channel.

We're lucky locally here in Knoxville in that Point Blank will let you test fire a handgun prior to purchase...at least as a member I've had that offered to me.

Does the gun store you use have a range or test area where you can fire a couple of rounds?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, deadeye111 said:

Place a #2 pencil in barrel not sharpened with eraser setting against beech face so firing pin will launch it if working.  

Does that work in a long gun? I have heard of 1911s tested that way.

@Jamie Jackson

Unfortunately they do not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By no means is this a cost effective solution, so it may not even be considered a solution at all, but it is technically the best overall solution:

LaserLyte

Snap caps that fire lasers!

No gumming up anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

@Ronald_55

I haven't been to a local gun store in a long time that will let me use snap caps, or even a pencil (works great btw). etc because of fear of litigation if "something went wrong".

I could also see a gunstore having concerns about modeling clay gunking up the firing pin channel.

We're lucky locally here in Knoxville in that Point Blank will let you test fire a handgun prior to purchase...at least as a member I've had that offered to me.

Does the gun store you use have a range or test area where you can fire a couple of rounds?

 

The few places I've been in wouldn't even take the trigger lock off, much less let you test fire it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I have had that a few places too. Bought at one place that never took it off and just gave me the lock "key" as I left. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'd stop shopping at a place that wouldn't let me check out a firearm (take off the lock, run a snap cap, etc).

I guess, if they had a 24-hour, no questions asked, 100% refund policy, that would keep me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2019 at 9:30 PM, Ronald_55 said:

@RED333

This derived from the need to test the firing pin in a lgs. I expect them to frown on even firing a primer in the store.  

The gun I was looking at has a rebound trigger on a break action gun. I have others of this model, but this hammer seemed very standoffish. Seeing this is a hard to find example, I wanted to pick it up, but not enough to end up having to get it worked on immediately. 

I am sure the LGS would be upset.

So get a few spent primers, punch the primes flat with out the anvil. Put the primer shell back into the case and test the hammer with that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a less invasive suggestion outside the forum. To put a penny on the face where the firing pin protrudes and dry fire it. If the penny launches, then it is good. Not sure if that model will fire broken open, but might be worth a try.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The store won’t warranty the gun long enough for you to take it and see if it fires?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

The store won’t warranty the gun long enough for you to take it and see if it fires?

More complicated that it is used and an inbound transfer...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

More complicated that it is used and an inbound transfer...

So this is a gun you already purchased from a third party? That would be a totally different situation from inspecting their inventory. Might be nice if they let you look through your transfer gun there, but certainly not expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines