Escaped convict, West Tennessee

mug.thumb.gif.6e31fe940aaaac07f7992b16ba

HENNING, Tenn. (WTVF) — Tennessee Bureau of Investigations is searching for an "extremely dangerous" man who escaped the West Tennessee State Penitentiary.

TBI said Watson is also a person of interest in the murder of a Tennessee Department of Correction, 64-year-old Debra Johnson, on Wednesday. We can confirm the homicide victim at West Tennessee State Penitentiary is Correctional Administrator Debra Johnson. She is a 38-year veteran employee of the state of Tennessee.

Curtis Ray Watson escaped from jail on his 44th birthday. He began his sentence for aggravated child abuse and especially aggravated kidnapping in August 2012 and was expected to be released May 2025.

This is the third time TBI has ever issued a Blue Alert, which are used to inform the public on violent suspects who kill or seriously injure law enforcement officers in the line of duty.

The penitentiary is in Henning, Tennessee, which is about two hours away from Nashville.

Watson is considered extremely dangerous. If you see him, call 911 or 1-800-TBI-FIND.

He has a long criminal history that includes tampering with government records, aggravated rape, violation of order of protection, and aggravated assault charges.

TBI released photos of Watson's tattoos to help the public keep an eye out.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/tbi-searching-for-extremely-dangerous-man-who-escaped-west-tennessee-state-penitentiary

Edited by GlockSpock

I think the reason they posted his tatoo's is because most people will look at a persons body art before they even look at their face. Plus he could shave the beard and maybe add a ball cap but it's not easy doing much with body art to imediately change your appearence. As far as why he is still breathing air. Probably because no one has had him in their sights yet. I may have missed it but is there a reward or bounty on him yet? 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

How many people think they will actually pay a $52,000.00 reward even if someone handed him up to them on a gold platter all wrapped in rope much less just information leading to his capture???

Why? Do you think they wouldn't?

Even if he shaves his beard, wears sleeves and a ball cap, he still can't do much about the nostril asymmetry and ears close pinned to his head.

LEO's were searching south of me on Hwy 412 between Parsons and Hohenwald last night.

22 minutes ago, I40Bandit said:

Even if he shaves his beard, wears sleeves and a ball cap, he still can't do much about the nostril asymmetry and ears close pinned to his head.

LEO's were searching south of me on Hwy 412 between Parsons and Hohenwald last night.

He looks like he got his nose broke once ...or a dozen times. 

39 minutes ago, pop pop said:

Has been reported he is a suspect in the rape and killing of a female TN Corrections individual.  Found her dead in her home. 

This is different from the woman he killed in order to originally escape? If so, I wonder if this is a guard in the prison he was in. Maybe he targeted her?  That's terrible. 

Edit-I think you are referring to the original murder/escape which is listed in the first post. 

Edited by Erik88
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Why? Do you think they wouldn't?

I know someone it happened to. The person did everything except take the TBI to the front door of the killers of a Deputy Sheriff and there was a $10,000.00 reward for information leading to the killers arrest. The person even testified in the case for the prosecution and when it came down to getting the reward he got zip and was told Thank you for doing your civic duty for the people in your community. That is why I wonder how many people actually get the rewards that are promised.

1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

I know someone it happened to. The person did everything except take the TBI to the front door of the killers of a Deputy Sheriff and there was a $10,000.00 reward for information leading to the killers arrest. The person even testified in the case for the prosecution and when it came down to getting the reward he got zip and was told Thank you for doing your civic duty for the people in your community. That is why I wonder how many people actually get the rewards that are promised.

That would be my luck. Then the killer would get out on parole and come for me.

• Like 1
Guest BHG123
On 8/8/2019 at 10:48 AM, bersaguy said:

I think the reason they posted his tatoo's is because most people will look at a persons body art before they even look at their face. Plus he could shave the beard and maybe add a ball cap but it's not easy doing much with body art to imediately change your appearence. As far as why he is still breathing air. Probably because no one has had him in their sights yet. I may have missed it but is there a reward or bounty on him yet? 

Absolutely, on why they post tatoo's.  Sometimes people can look entirely different in person or in a picture, but tatoo's are pretty uniquely identifying, kind of like a serial number.

34 minutes ago, Sunfish said:

This dude is long gone. I'm betting he has had wheels under him from the start. Once he finds a weapon and is mobile it's on until they corner him.  

I am guessing if he killed a corrections employee, even an administrator, she had a gun he took. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Sunfish said:

This dude is long gone. I'm betting he has had wheels under him from the start. Once he finds a weapon and is mobile it's on until they corner him.  

I was thinking along those same lines. He will want to get out of the area as fast as possible and he planned his escape long before he ever got assigned to the honor farm detail outside the walls/fence and was waiting for just the right time. They have his face and body art on every form of news medias in this area for people locally to see. The authorities have not have one comfirmed sighting of him so far. That tells me he is long gone from this area and probably had help from some family that was suppose to be in the area. If I was the FBI I would put lots of Bounty Hunters on him and not the nice ones that will bring him in alive but the kind that will bring him in period.

I know a couple of them and I would not want them hunting me cause I know I would be room temperature when I was delivered to the FBI. Maybe even packed in Ice.