Escaped convict, West Tennessee

From this timeline, assuming it’s correct, it looks like he may have been gone for 3.5 hours before local authorities were notified. And for some reason it appears prison officials took 1.5 hours from the time they knew he was gone to notify them. That’s unusual.

-------------------------------------------------

Here's a timeline of his escape, given by the TBI. 

Aug. 7, 2019

7 a.m. - Curtis Watson is released on work detail for daily mowing duties

8:10 a.m. - Debra Johnson is known to be alive, making a phone call.

8:30 a.m. - Watson is seen by correctional officers on a facility golf cart at Johnson's home

Between 9 a.m. and 10 a.m. - Watson takes a tractor and reflective vest from the prison and drives away

11 a.m. - Prison officials realize Watson is missing

11:30 a.m. - Johnson's coworkers discover her body after she doesn't report to work

12 p.m. - The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is notified of a homicide at the West Tennessee State Penitentiary.

12:30 p.m. - Prison staff alert the Lauderdale County Sheriff's Office to Watson's escape.

1:30 p.m. - Authorities locate the tractor Watson took from the prison along with his prison identification card.

1:45 p.m. - Tennessee Department of Corrections Commissioner Tony Parker briefs the governor's office to pursue activation of the Governor's Escape Plan.

3 p.m. - TBI issues a Blue Alert and adds Watson to the state's "Most Wanted" list. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Eray said:

That would be my luck. Then the killer would get out on parole and come for me.

Well that kind of happened in the case of the Sheriffs Deputy case. The killing happened in 1982 and the trial was in 1983. It was 3 brothers involved and the shooter got life in prison and the other 2 got 25 years. The prosecution wanted the death sentence but didn't get it. As it turned out the shooter didn't serve life but got paroled in 23 years and his brothers earlier than that. The people involved that lost their family member deputy did everything they could to keep him in prison but he got released anyway. That was a terrible injustice to all of the family and the people that testified in the case.

Any of you that read my posts on crime issues know I have zero sympathy for violent offenders…none. I saw the results of these animals long enough to have a better understand of them than I would have liked.

Curtis Watson was sentenced to 15 years for especially aggravated kidnapping, and classified at that time as a violent offender. That conviction originated with an arrest on charges of aggravated rape or forcible sodomy, as well as aggravated kidnapping. It was reduced to the single charge in a plea deal.

The crimes and the charges this man was convicted of showed that he was a thug criminal that belonged locked up without access to innocent people. To allowing him to be out mowing grass and driving around on a freaking golf cart was reckless. Whoever made that decision should be held accountable.

This man would have got out of prison without being a registered sex offender. Of course now none of that matters because he raped and murdered a woman.

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 2
14 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

From this timeline, assuming it’s correct, it looks like he may have been gone for 3.5 hours before local authorities were notified. And for some reason it appears prison officials took 1.5 hours from the time they knew he was gone to notify them. That’s unusual.

-------------------------------------------------

Here's a timeline of his escape, given by the TBI. 

Aug. 7, 2019

7 a.m. - Curtis Watson is released on work detail for daily mowing duties

8:10 a.m. - Debra Johnson is known to be alive, making a phone call.

8:30 a.m. - Watson is seen by correctional officers on a facility golf cart at Johnson's home

Between 9 a.m. and 10 a.m. - Watson takes a tractor and reflective vest from the prison and drives away

11 a.m. - Prison officials realize Watson is missing

11:30 a.m. - Johnson's coworkers discover her body after she doesn't report to work

12 p.m. - The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is notified of a homicide at the West Tennessee State Penitentiary.

12:30 p.m. - Prison staff alert the Lauderdale County Sheriff's Office to Watson's escape.

1:30 p.m. - Authorities locate the tractor Watson took from the prison along with his prison identification card.

1:45 p.m. - Tennessee Department of Corrections Commissioner Tony Parker briefs the governor's office to pursue activation of the Governor's Escape Plan.

3 p.m. - TBI issues a Blue Alert and adds Watson to the state's "Most Wanted" list. 

Why was RED Flags not flying when they saw Watson on a golf cart at the home of  Johnson when he is suppose to be on work detail??????? Sounds a lot like he might have had help from employees from Prison.......JMHO

3 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Any of you that read my posts on crime issues know I have zero sympathy for violent offenders…none. I saw the results of these animals long enough to have a better understand of them than I would have liked.

Curtis Watson was sentenced to 15 years for especially aggravated kidnapping, and classified at that time as a violent offender. That conviction originated with an arrest on charges of aggravated rape or forcible sodomy, as well as aggravated kidnapping. It was reduced to the single charge in a plea deal.

The crimes and the charges this man was convicted of showed that he was a thug criminal that belonged locked up without access to innocent people. To allowing him to be out mowing grass and driving around on a freaking golf cart was reckless. Whoever made that decision should be held accountable.

I totally agree with you 1000% and like I said. I think he had inside help and a very sorry judge and prosecutor that would have taken any form of plea deal but should have put him away till his body art melted in an ink blob.

So my question is:

Why was a violent offender ("aggravated child abuse and especially aggravated kidnapping") doing out on basically unsupervised grounds duty?

My Papaw was the litter pickup officer in my home county. He took guys out every day. They were usually only the drunk and disorderly or check fraud type people. He never let them out of his sight. He made it clear he would not chase them, he was too old for that. He had 6 friends that could outrun any of them. He never got anything but respect from them because they knew it was a privilege to get out in the fresh air. He would not take anyone out that he felt would be an issue. 

So is the prison so hard up for funds for grounds keeping and staff that they have to let inmates roam freely?

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

So my question is:

Why was a violent offender ("aggravated child abuse and especially aggravated kidnapping") doing out on basically unsupervised grounds duty?

My Papaw was the litter pickup officer in my home county. He took guys out every day. They were usually only the drunk and disorderly or check fraud type people. He never let them out of his sight. He made it clear he would not chase them, he was too old for that. He had 6 friends that could outrun any of them. He never got anything but respect from them because they knew it was a privilege to get out in the fresh air. He would not take anyone out that he felt would be an issue. 

So is the prison so hard up for funds for grounds keeping and staff that they have to let inmates roam freely?

Agreed. Seems like a lot of questionable/poor decisions happening in the corrections departments lately.

Caught by the homeowner being notified by his security cam, preparing for the guy to try to make entry, :) and then calling 911.

Like I say…. I love me some technology. Those nice folks may very well be alive because of that camera.

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Don’t forget the horse flies and chiggers. 

And ticks, stupid heat, cockleburs in your shoes, etc.  The boonies of West TN is no place to be hiding out this time of year.

I doubt he put up much of a fight.

Edited by Garufa
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Caught by the homeowner being notified by his security cam, preparing for the guy to try to make entry, :) and then calling 911.

Like I say…. I love me some technology. Those nice folks may very well be alive because of that camera.

On the other side he may be alive because of it. If he had broke in suddenly he might have been taken away a few ounces heavier. 

27 minutes ago, Garufa said:

So who keeps a refrigerator outside in the carport?  Even in the sticks that’s an invitation.  

I worked with a guy in college who had racked up several DUIs, so someone would usually take him home after work.  I'm taking him home one night and he asks if we can stop by his friend's place so he can pick something up.  As we get close he tells me not to go down the driveway, just wait in the street and he'll be right back.  Sure enough, a couple of minutes later he comes running back with an arm load of beer that he "rescued" from a car port fridge.  I have no idea if he even knew the people.  I tried not to give him rides after that.

• Haha 2
On 8/9/2019 at 1:10 PM, bersaguy said:

How many people think they will actually pay a $52,000.00 reward even if someone handed him up to them on a gold platter all wrapped in rope much less just information leading to his capture???

Here's some info on that very topic: 

https://www.fox13memphis.com/top-stories/after-arrest-of-curtis-watson-what-are-tennessee-officials-doing-with-57k-reward-/975426454

• Like 1