Anybody members of the GOA I have been doing a little research and seriously considering joining. Seems like a good organization I am a also a NRA life member but am starting to question there leadership. Anyone have any feedback on GOA?

2 hours ago, swiley383 said:

Anybody members of the GOA I have been doing a little research and seriously considering joining. Seems like a good organization I am a also a NRA life member but am starting to question there leadership. Anyone have any feedback on GOA?

I'm a life member of the NRA, and a relatively new member of GOA, I've seen more email traffic from GOA challenging this law or that law in that short time than I've seen from the NRA in quite some years.  I still give to the NRA-ILA, their lobbying arm, but more goes to GOA. 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, swiley383 said:

I have been doing a little research and seriously considering joining. 

Share with us. Why the GOA and not the SAF? 

For those of you that are going to post "Join both"; save it, that not what I ask.:)

1 minute ago, DaveTN said:

Share with us. Why the GOA and not the SAF? 

For those of you that are going to post "Join both"; save it, that not what I ask.:)

Who is SAF?  Maybe that says it all, I know there are a bunch out there but if a gun guy hasn't heard of it...

I would add TFA into the mix as well, they also do a lot, but mostly here in TN.

I'm a member of GOA and no longer a member of the NRA for about a year now. I still keep getting emails from the NRA. They have told me about 30+ times that my menbership is about to expire and it has been renewed for 24 hours. It has been renewed for 24 hours about 30 times also and all that tells me is they are getting desperate to get members back that they have lost. I get emails about things the GOA is working on in DC often and they seem to be staying busy working for gun owners and  2nd Amendment issues.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Omega said:

Yea, I Duck Duck Goed(DDG) them.  I will do a little research and may join them as well.  But I seriously have heard precious little about them and what they have and will do to defend the 2A.  

Dave asking this question pointed out a hole in my support. If you haven’t heard of the SAF, you’ve probably heard of Alan Gura. Gura’s work with the SAF was responsible for McDonald v Chicago among other victories. They focus on court actions. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Dave asking this question pointed out a hole in my support. If you haven’t heard of the SAF, you’ve probably heard of Alan Gura. Gura’s work with the SAF was responsible for McDonald v Chicago among other victories. They focus on court actions. 

I was looking into their current cases:  Does the NRA have this many cases they are supporting, I sure hope so?

Case Name
(click for more info)
Description
Challenging restrictions against foster and adoptive parents in Oklahoma
Challenging the state’s concealed carry statute that restricts otherwise qualified non-residents
3D printing (additive manufacturing) ban on 1st Amendment, 2nd Amendment, and 4th Amendment grounds
Challenge to an arbitrary handgun ban in Massachusetts
Resident Alien in North Carolina
Challenge to a ban on importation and sale of handguns and ammo
Lawsuit in federal court challenging the current federal law prohibiting cross-state handgun purchases
Misdemeanor Prohibition
Challenge to California’s ban on “handgun-related” speech
Seeking to overturn the city’s “good-reason” clause for CCW
Misdemeanor prohibition
Misdemeanor prohibition
Challenge to Illinois’ Application of Criminal Statutes Already Ruled Unconstitutional.
SAF Sues California Attorney General Over Waiting Period Statute.
Challenge to Chicago’s gun range prohibition based on 1st and 2nd Amendment
Challenge to New York ban on magazines with more than 7 cartridges.
Challenge to Alameda County gun shop permit requirements.
Richards v. Prieto (formerly Sykes v. McGinness)
SAF Challenges Arbitrary Denial of Right to Bear Arms in California
SAF Challenges California Handgun Ban Scheme
  • Moderators

Omega, The answer is no.  In fact, the NRA opposed both the Heller and McDonald cases until they were in a position that they had to support them because they were going to SCOTUS. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1
25 minutes ago, hipower said:

Comments on the NAGR(National Association for Gun Rights)?

I joined a couple years ago thru a mailer/free t-shirt deal(a real nice shirt, btw), and have been re-upping each year.

I have at least heard of them, but lifetime is 1K, vs $150 for SAF above.  NRA was also expensive and they keep coming up with levels to keep asking for money.  I don't mind donations, but don't try and hook me with membership levels.  Trinkets are a good way to get donations, as GOA has a 50 cal bottle opener that comes with one year membership.  Yea, it is not about the trinkets I know, but I'd rather purchase stuff that support a cause than to listen to people trying to scare me with "they are coming for your guns" tactics,  I know they are coming, stop wasting money mailing me stuff.  Trinkets have the added value to them as free advertising, I have had a few join to get the 50 cal bottle opener. The NRA roundup program is great, wish they would, if legal, do more of that.  Rent a car, buy a product etc from a sponsor, get a discount and [insert pro gun group here] gets a donation.  

Edit, looks like that deal is seasonal, about $5 off:

opener.jpg

Edited by Omega
Add info
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, Omega said:

I have at least heard of them, but lifetime is 1K, vs $150 for SAF above.  NRA was also expensive and they keep coming up with levels to keep asking for money.  I don't mind donations, but don't try and hook me with membership levels.  Trinkets are a good way to get donations, as GOA has a 50 cal bottle opener that comes with one year membership.  Yea, it is not about the trinkets I know, but I'd rather purchase stuff that support a cause than to listen to people trying to scare me with "they are coming for your guns" tactics,  I know they are coming, stop wasting money mailing me stuff.  Trinkets have the added value to them as free advertising, I have had a few join to get the 50 cal bottle opener. The NRA roundup program is great, wish they would, if legal, do more of that.  Rent a car, buy a product etc from a sponsor, get a discount and [insert pro gun group here] gets a donation.  

Edit, looks like that deal is seasonal, about $5 off:

opener.jpg

But who needs bottle openers any more? lol 

1 hour ago, Omega said:

...lifetime is 1K, vs $150 for SAF

Lifetime means about as much as it does withe NRA, save for the tiered system they have set up.  I became a lifetime member of SAF back in 2012 or 2013, and to this day I still get solicitations for money.  That said, they're doing important work by fighting legal cases that result in reverberating precedent. 

Getting the City of Chicago to pay for legal fees related to McDonald was a particularly awesome moment.  Having a six figure check to cash with Rahm Emanuel's signature as mayor made a lot of happy people that day.

spacer.png

• Like 3
1 minute ago, peejman said:

I get the idea that if GOA, SAF, TFA, etc. could join forces they stand a chance of toppling the giant. 

Possibly, but I bet there are quite a few, like me, that are members of the NRA as well.  As it is, the antis are getting hit from all sides in the courts, which may or may not be better than a potential mass voting block voting against anti-2A politicians that historically have not been defeated, specially the ones from blue states.