Where's the public outrage?

I know this is not a new subject, but seeing the amount of public outrage over the recent mass shootings again has me wondering why the general population doesn't get outraged to the same degree by the number of drunk driving deaths each year?   I did a quick look at some numbers in order to compare the two.     

2006 to 2017 = 1,358 mass shooting deaths

2006 to 2017 = 131,586 drunk driving deaths  

That's 95 times as many deaths during the same period caused by alcohol, yet where's the outrage?     I know the politicians have an agenda in order to push for gun control in connection with the mass shootings, but I guess people don't REALLY care about people getting killed, it's just an agenda for them as well.     I guess getting drunk and driving is socially acceptable, and if some people get killed, oh well...

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

People killed by drunk drivers are just as dead as people that are killed by being shot. I had to deal with drunk drivers for 40 years in the ER and so many times they were belligerent and hateful to deal with, even when they had killed someone. They know they should not drive but do it anyway. Just as a shooter knows he shouldn't do it but does anyway.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Trekbike said:

I know this is not a new subject, but seeing the amount of public outrage over the recent mass shootings again has me wondering why the general population doesn't get outraged to the same degree by the number of drunk driving deaths each year?   I did a quick look at some numbers in order to compare the two.     

2006 to 2017 = 1,358 mass shooting deaths

2006 to 2017 = 131,586 drunk driving deaths  

That's 95 times as many deaths during the same period caused by alcohol, yet where's the outrage?     I know the politicians have an agenda in order to push for gun control in connection with the mass shootings, but I guess people don't REALLY care about people getting killed, it's just an agenda for them as well.     I guess getting drunk and driving is socially acceptable, and if some people get killed, oh well...

Yes, drinking and driving is sociably acceptable. Getting arrested for DUI is not. Why is that? It's because people don’t understand that “drunk” is a meaningless legally undefined term, while “impaired” and "presumption" are clearly defined legal terms, but most have no idea what .08 (or any other number) means or feels like.

One of the stats you didn’t post was that depending on whose numbers you use, or the year, 1,000,000 to 1,500,000 drivers are arrested every year for DUI.

A lot is done in DUI enforcement. There are plenty of people that complain about it as overreach. As you see in our mass shooting threads it depends on where you get your stats, We are on a gun forum, so you see people  defending potential shooters arrested or investigated by the Police. That is because they identify with them and have an irrational fear that because they are a gun owner they somehow will get caught up in this. You will see people across all types of forums complain about DUI enforcement because the fear of being arrested for DUI is not irrational if you drink and drive.

If I could do anything as a public service it would be talk to high school kids about DUI. They don’t understand it, their parents don’t either, and without even looking at the possibility of being in an accident and hurting someone or getting hurt; a DUI can be a career ender before that career ever gets started; a DUI conviction can impact your life.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Yes, drinking and driving is sociably acceptable. Getting arrested for DUI is not. Why is that? It's because people don’t understand that “drunk” is a meaningless legally undefined term, while “impaired” and "presumption" are clearly defined legal terms, but most have no idea what .08 (or any other number) means or feels like.

One of the stats you didn’t post was that depending on whose numbers you use, or the year, 1,000,000 to 1,500,000 drivers are arrested every year for DUI.

A lot is done in DUI enforcement. There are plenty of people that complain about it as overreach. As you see in our mass shooting threads it depends on where you get your stats, We are on a gun forum, so you see people  defending potential shooters arrested or investigated by the Police. That is because they identify with them and have an irrational fear that because they are a gun owner they somehow will get caught up in this. You will see people across all types of forums complain about DUI enforcement because the fear of being arrested for DUI is not irrational if you drink and drive.

If I could do anything as a public service it would be talk to high school kids about DUI. They don’t understand it, their parents don’t either, and without even looking at the possibility of being in an accident and hurting someone or getting hurt; a DUI can be a career ender before that career ever gets started; a DUI conviction can impact your life.

I disagree with your statement that it's an irrational fear. The most likely candidate, Biden, came right out and said just this week that he's coming after our guns.

13 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

I disagree with your statement that it's an irrational fear. The most likely candidate, Biden, came right out and said just this week that he's coming after our guns.

Absolutely, but that has nothing to do with Red Flag laws or defining due process. He just wants to seize all our firearms. Same as all the rest of them.

However, that’s what I mean about him being too mentally unstable (because of age) to be President. He didn’t think about what he was saying; he just blurted it out. I bet his handlers almost stroked out when he said that. And he will be trying to walk that back!

• Like 4
  • Moderators
41 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Absolutely, but that has nothing to do with Red Flag laws or defining due process. He just wants to seize all our firearms. Same as all the rest of them.

However, that’s what I mean about him being too mentally unstable (because of age) to be President. He didn’t think about what he was saying; he just blurted it out. I bet his handlers almost stroked out when he said that. And he will be trying to walk that back!

Oh, I think they have bigger gaffes on their plates st the moment. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/1159630998667239425

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Its easy to look passed these auto related deaths because the vehicles being used makes them superfluous. Now if they used Military grade vehicles in the hands of civilians, lets say a Hummer or 2, then we'd be hearing about it. 

11 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Joe Biden-76

Donald Trump-73

Where do you draw the line here?

Not on age, but on showing signs of senility. Biden is showing signs of senility and desperation. I assume that is because of age and trying to be Obama 2.0. Trump is just showing signs of being an azzhat.

2 hours ago, chances R said:

Waaay too much money in alcohol to curb its use or sell.

Are you old enough to have been going to the bars in the 70's-80's? It's nowhere near now what it was then. DUI enforcement because of MADD did that.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I took breathalyzer training years ago for work to do DOT testing. When we went to lunch I had 2 beers, 30 minutes later I had a bit of a buzz and blew a 0.00 on the machine. If you are .08, you are definitely impaired I can assure you. Anyone that feels a buzz should not get behind the wheel of a vehicle. Almost every blood alcohol I ever did, the patient "only had 2 beers". Even when they couldn't sit up and their level was way above legal limit.

2 minutes ago, Tuffus said:

I took breathalyzer training years ago for work to do DOT testing. When we went to lunch I had 2 beers, 30 minutes later I had a bit of a buzz and blew a 0.00 on the machine. 

Then your machine was broke.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, DaveTN said:

Then your machine was broke.

The machine wasn't broken. I should have mentioned that it was Pizza Hut beers, not a full size beer back then. LOL. But I did have a short lived buzz even if it wasn't that much of one.

8 minutes ago, Tuffus said:

The machine wasn't broken. I should have mentioned that it was Pizza Hut beers, not a full size beer back then. LOL. But I did have a short lived buzz even if it wasn't that much of one.

I can assure you with absolutely certainly your machine was broke or someone did something wrong. You didn’t drink 2 beers wait, 30 minutes and blow zeros. I won’t say what you are saying in your story didn’t happen, I’m saying you weren’t 0.00. (Unless maybe you weigh 1000 lbs.) Your tolerance for alcohol has zero impact on BAC.

Sorry but People need to know this stuff. And they need to teach their kids.

• Thanks 1
  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I can assure you with absolutely certainly your machine was broke or someone did something wrong. You didn’t drink 2 beers wait, 30 minutes and blow zeros. I won’t say what you are saying in your story didn’t happen, I’m saying you weren’t 0.00. (Unless maybe you weigh 1000 lbs.) Your tolerance for alcohol has zero impact on BAC.

It takes longer than that to metabolize the alcohol ingested from mouthwash. 

1 minute ago, DaveTN said:

Not quite 1000 pounds. Machine was properly calibrated. Don't know what else to say. I have seen 15 year olds that had their first experience with alcohol below the legal limit that were completely passed out. Yes, kids need to be taught about the dangers of drinking.