Any Contractors or House Builders or Anyone In the Know Able To Help With Weight Question?

12 hours ago, Garufa said:

Just put the aquarium wherever you want.  

Making sure it spans floor joists might be a good idea rather that it being parallel to them.  

In today’s plump society can you imagine the weight a couple in a nice bed puts on an upstairs floor?  :lol:

Hey Hey I resemble that remark

12 hours ago, Garufa said:

Just put the aquarium wherever you want.  

Making sure it spans floor joists might be a good idea rather that it being parallel to them.  

In today’s plump society can you imagine the weight a couple in a nice bed puts on an upstairs floor?  :lol:

12 hours ago, beebee233 said:

I am always puzzled by load calculations regarding safes/aquariums etc. When it is presented as (for example) 500 lbs in a 4'x4' footprint, I immediately imagine two 250 lb guys standing in the middle of the room back to back and wondering whether or not the floor is going to cave in.

I keep coming up with no.

But what do I know?

I'm not a structural engineer with a degree and a computer.

What you are talking about here is the differences in a static (doesn't move) and dynamic load (moves).  If the aquarium causes failure it very likely won't be instantaneous, it will be over a long period of time.  Most likely the floor will hold the load for a year, or two, or five before it starts getting difficult to open and close windows and doors.  

• Like 2
10 hours ago, ShaggyRS6 said:

10-Ring, thats what I think. I approached the subject of having it downstairs today.  Did not go well :)

If there is one thing that I want to deal with less than a damaged house, it's a wife saying "I told you that was a bad idea."

• Like 2
On 8/11/2019 at 7:33 AM, dralarms said:

That’s my setup.  I’ve got mine sitting on 8 small wheels. You should be fine. IMHO 

You'll end up with 8 dents in your floor.  Wheels have practically zero contact area with a flat surface.  The pressure skyrockets.

Well, just to keep you all updated and amused. I tried the "Sulk" tactic. This proven strategy (with me) has never failed. Until now! 2 solid days of moping around the house like a scolded teenager, only giving one syllable answers to questions with a lot of grunting, nodding and the odd sniff.

Two days guys! I went all in. She aint having it.  No tank downstairs!

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, ShaggyRS6 said:

Well, just to keep you all updated and amused. I tried the "Sulk" tactic. This proven strategy (with me) has never failed. Until now! 2 solid days of moping around the house like a scolded teenager, only giving one syllable answers to questions with a lot of grunting, nodding and the odd sniff.

Two days guys! I went all in. She aint having it.  No tank downstairs!

The only logical way to proceed is to draw up plans for a second floor addition with a floor beefy enough to support at least 500 gallons of halibut habitat...

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

That means she has thought of something she wants.

Haha yeah. But she is not normal. She never wants anything Dave. I never know if to love her or hate her for that if you know what I mean. She asks for nothing, she spends nothing, she would rather go to the Goodwill than buy new! I guess it's her pikey upbringing :)