Looking for a good deal on a Kalashnikov Rifle

Guest BHG123

Guest BHG123

AK 47. I do not know what brands/makes/countries are better than others.  I really want to keep the price down without loosing qualify. I see Century Arms makes one for a reasonable price but are they any good?  Any other suggests without breaking the bank?  I want reliable, inexpensive if such a beast exists.

Early Century rifles had several well documented issues. Most of those were corrected over time, so I think current rifles are ok. Zastava makes good ones. I think PSA rifles are pretty good too. You can also buy a parts kit and build it yourself, though some special tools are needed. 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

Buy a PSA rifle...lifetime warranty, American Built....much better than any current century available.

PSA does something other than put together parts from manufacturers? That’s not an argument; it’s a question. I had no idea there was an American made AK.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

PSA does something other than put together parts from manufacturers? That’s not an argument; it’s a question. I had no idea there was an American made AK.

There are multiple high quality American AK manufacturers. 

Well we all know from recent events WASR's work just fine....i'd just prefer the PSA for what they are charging I don't think features, functions, and warranty can be beat...always got great customer service from them....me personally I just use my KS47 abomination...I got lucky I guess mines a GEN 1 and runs perfect with a lot less recoil than a standard AK.....DI for the win!

An AK group I am part of on Facebook has members posting reports of how pleasantly surprised they at the quality and function of the PSA AK's.  For a group of aficionados (of which I do not consider myself one.  I'm there to read and learn) that are brutally critical of any second rate rifle, they like what PSA is putting out.

56 minutes ago, graycrait said:

My only AK caliber rifle. Barreled action by Dolomite Supafly.  Single shot Savage action 7.62x39.  If I recall he used a Green Mountain .308 blank. Bushnell 30mm 10x on top.  It shoots saltine crackers at 185yrds with ease.

yyyMXbK.jpg?3

Not in your league, but I bought a 10/22 that Dolo had built. Makes me look like I know what I'm doing. Off the bench, I shot a dime sized 3 round group at 100 yards. Best I've ever done. I credit that to the rifle and the builder.

Yes, Dolo used a Green Mountain Bull barrel on it. It's my favorite suppressed 22 ever.

• Like 2
Guest BHG123

There must be a run on these right now, many are out of stock.  Is it just the AK's or is there a run on all semi-auto rifles right now?  Century's seem to be the few that I can find in stock for the configuration I want.

PSA has a few in stock, but mostly polymer and pistols.  I wanted the metal with wood furniture, although a folding stock might not be bad if that is all I can find.

Guest BHG123
53 minutes ago, BHunted said:

Arsenal SLR-107R is a great rifle. At least from folks that own them I know and reviews....

spacer.png

I know someone who might have one of these.  What is a good price?

Guest BHG123
On 8/12/2019 at 11:50 AM, BHunted said:

My WASR 10 always did me right. Fun plinker and never any failures. Only thing I did to it is re-stain the wood. Not a fan of blonde wood so refinished it red chestnut.

wasr_refin_lft.jpg

wasr_refin_rt.jpg

You might need to tell me the best way to do that.  I do not have a lot of experience wood staining, I am betting you did a light, fine sand first to remove any finish, and then a rub of a stain?

Guest BHG123
On 8/12/2019 at 11:50 AM, BHunted said:

My WASR 10 always did me right. Fun plinker and never any failures. Only thing I did to it is re-stain the wood. Not a fan of blonde wood so refinished it red chestnut.

wasr_refin_lft.jpg

wasr_refin_rt.jpg

You might need to tell me the best way to do that.  I do not have a lot of experience wood staining, I am betting you did a light, fine sand first to remove any finish, and then a rub of a stain?

On 8/11/2019 at 7:41 PM, BHG123 said:

AK 47. I do not know what brands/makes/countries are better than others.  I really want to keep the price down without loosing qualify. I see Century Arms makes one for a reasonable price but are they any good?  Any other suggests without breaking the bank?  I want reliable, inexpensive if such a beast exists.

To me as of right now you still can't beat a WASR. Built in a "combloc" factory with years of experience. CHF CL barrel and forged trunnions and carriers. If the WASR is out of your price range, that sounds crazy because they were so cheap for so long get a RH10. It's pretty much a WASR with a combo front sight block.  If you look you can find them in the $550ish range. PSA has been doing pretty well but I don't see the point in purchasing an American made AK while you can still get imports. The complaints from years ago with the WASR have been just about eliminated. The finish on the WASR is not pretty but it works.

You could also look into the WBP guns coming out of Poland. They are a commercial builder like PSA but they use the  FB Radom barrels which are fantastic. They are going to be around the $1000 mark so getting up there a little. If you shop arms list or other  local sites you can find good deals from time to time on the secondary market. When purchasing used make sure all rivets are good, no unusual wear on the trunnions, bcg or bolt. Stay far away from anything built by Century, RAS, C39v2, VSKA, All trash.

If you decide to refinish the wood it's simple. You can sand the old stain off pretty quickly unless it surplus laminate, that takes some more work. I've refinished about 6 guns now. Pick out a stain or you can even use RIT dye if you want something a little different. Finish the furniture with shellac or Poly.

• Like 1
Guest BHG123
59 minutes ago, felinesNfreedom said:

To me as of right now you still can't beat a WASR. Built in a "combloc" factory with years of experience. CHF CL barrel and forged trunnions and carriers. If the WASR is out of your price range, that sounds crazy because they were so cheap for so long get a RH10. It's pretty much a WASR with a combo front sight block.  If you look you can find them in the $550ish range. PSA has been doing pretty well but I don't see the point in purchasing an American made AK while you can still get imports. The complaints from years ago with the WASR have been just about eliminated. The finish on the WASR is not pretty but it works.

You could also look into the WBP guns coming out of Poland. They are a commercial builder like PSA but they use the  FB Radom barrels which are fantastic. They are going to be around the $1000 mark so getting up there a little. If you shop arms list or other  local sites you can find good deals from time to time on the secondary market. When purchasing used make sure all rivets are good, no unusual wear on the trunnions, bcg or bolt. Stay far away from anything built by Century, RAS, C39v2, VSKA, All trash.

If you decide to refinish the wood it's simple. You can sand the old stain off pretty quickly unless it surplus laminate, that takes some more work. I've refinished about 6 guns now. Pick out a stain or you can even use RIT dye if you want something a little different. Finish the furniture with shellac or Poly.

There are a couple of nice AK's like you describe on Atlantic Firearms. I know nothing about them and I am hesitant to purchase because of that.  Any experience with them?

I'll second Atlantic, they are very good to work with and well respected in the AK community. Avoid the Century and Zastava, the later are very hit and miss. My brand new NPAP came with a rusted rifle bore (they are not chromed) and it was never really take care of.

On the affordable scale, as catsfreedom was saying, the WASR is what almost every AK guy will steer you toward on the budget end. 

Whatever you get, take a good hard look at the gas block front sight post alignment, and stack as well. Cheap AK's can come with canted front posts and offsets in their gas blocks. If the rear stock is not centered and aligned it could have a trunion problem if its not the wood (I've seen it). 

One thing you may want to consider outside price (since you claim quality is important) is how long term you want this. The big thing in the cost is if its a milled vs stamped receiver. The bigger ticket AK's tend to be milled (Arsenal is a good example). Buy once cry once. If you just want one to try an AK, see if you can rent one before you buy.

I've had a few, sold my most of the stamped ones and kept my Arsenal and Galil. I was thinking of trying a WBP as I like the concept of the Beryl rail set up for optics.

I always tell anyone looking at an AK chambered rifle, do look at the VZ58. Its a great rifle that the Chez made by refactoring the AK's operating system making it short stroke. They cycle faster with less reciprocating mass. And they are milled. More accurate with less recoil. 

• Like 1

PSA bought DDI. Tn. Based company. They bought Waffen Werks if I’m not mistaken. Warranty means a lot unless you can work on one that you build yourself.  There is a guy from east tn that is posting some stuff on gunbroker . He has an AMD65 on there.

9 minutes ago, martin5 said:

PSA bought DDI. Tn. Based company. They bought Waffen Werks if I’m not mistaken. Warranty means a lot unless you can work on one that you build yourself.  There is a guy from east tn that is posting some stuff on gunbroker . He has an AMD65 on there.

DDI was a Knoxville outfit as was Waffen Werks.  Neither means doodly-squat now, but DDI did make some quality AK’s.

Never buy a used PSA AK.  They mistakenly started out with cast parts, like many other American makers, and is typical of them, they go through a couple of “gens”.  Looks like they are now using forged parts, at least if you pay a little more.

• Like 1