Looking for a good deal on a Kalashnikov Rifle

Guest BHG123

21 hours ago, BHG123 said:

You might need to tell me the best way to do that.  I do not have a lot of experience wood staining, I am betting you did a light, fine sand first to remove any finish, and then a rub of a stain?

Remove all wood and take your time. Yes, fine sand by hand to get the finish clean, then I used red chestnut Minwax stain. Do as many coats to get the desired. As per stain instructions, wait between coats to dry. Then 2 coats satin spray clear coat. 

Guest BHG123

I see a lot of negativity about Century Arms, but I am seeing as the WASR Romanian Cugir as being considered decent components.  I think there are some Century WASR and some non-WASR.  Would that make the Century WASR a decent, reliable gun?  I want reliable and nothing I have to carve away to make it work.

3 hours ago, BHG123 said:

I see a lot of negativity about Century Arms, but I am seeing as the WASR Romanian Cugir as being considered decent components.  I think there are some Century WASR and some non-WASR.  Would that make the Century WASR a decent, reliable gun?  I want reliable and nothing I have to carve away to make it work.

Century only imports the WASR and then opens up the magwell and swaps a few things out. WASR will be built in CUGIR factory. If you want to fall into the AK rabbit hole go watch some Rob Ski videos on you tube.

Guest BHG123

Now I am wondering about Riley Defense, AK's manufactured in the USA in Charlotte NC.  Anybody have any experience with them?  I am thinking if all the parts are built here to be compliant in the first place, no replacing, swapping, etc., theoretically shouldn't the gun work more reliably?

1 hour ago, BHG123 said:

Now I am wondering about Riley Defense, AK's manufactured in the USA in Charlotte NC.  Anybody have any experience with them?  I am thinking if all the parts are built here to be compliant in the first place, no replacing, swapping, etc., theoretically shouldn't the gun work more reliably?

No.

Buy a gun that is proven. Riley and PSA are still new at the game. Do they make decent stuff..... maybe. You can still buy quality imports for now, I would do that.

On 8/18/2019 at 3:13 PM, BHG123 said:

I've had and worked on them all. I currently have, among many others, a Riley and a PSA (forged version). I mainly got them just to see how they stacked up. They are very much quality AK's.

The irony on American made is that US makers tend to make parts TOO precise. When you tighten up an AK you loose the beauty of AK reliableness and start having problems. It's one of the reasons the Kalashnikov got away from milled receivers almost instantly and went back to folded.

It's just recent that US makers have started figuring this out and loosening the tolerances. A great AK has loose tolerances, forged gas/FS/Trunions/BC/barrel, straight mounting of parts, folded receiver, and a good paint job. Quality AK!

BTW - most any thing that isn't straight .... just get a dead blow hammer. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

I know the Zastavas have been getting a bad wrap lately but my M92 SBR is a hoot to shoot and never hiccups. However, I dont run it like my ARs in classes, training, etc. One day I'll have to go to an AK specific course. Really I just posted this for an excuse to put a photo of it on here lol. (FYI I hate one point slings but that's what I had laying around) An Arsenal SLR107cr has always been on my list amd wouldn't mind a PSA.

20190928_152759.jpg